Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Just on dafts.ie now, and the no of houses available is quite limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just on dafts.ie now, and the no of houses available is quite limited.

You're better off emailing the accommodation office and asking for the list of landlords. Just start ringing and arranging viewings is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Bump

anyone ever lived in Troy Student Village?

its rate are better than campus, it seems nice

Whats security like, are they strict on guests etc?

any info would be great

Soz for delay, so much to do...

Afraid I won't be able to tell you much, was only there as a visitor and was in a room once but have an idea.
    Security is very good, better than the Groody across the way.
    The gates are always closed, need a fob to get in but not to get out.
    Kitchen area and living area are adjoined. Nice spacy living area, 3 piece suite and a coffee table. Also a dining table of a nice size. Went there to play poker and could easily fit 6/7 around it. Kitchen is pretty compact, shared cupboards from what I saw.
    Bathroom is basic, pretty much the default student bathroom; toilet, shower, sink. I believe all the rooms are en-suite as well with one shared bathroom..
    Rooms are compact besides double bed, desk and chair; all the study necessities!
    Oh and basic TV channels with a decent sized TV. Can't comment on the internet except you get a key that you can only use on one device at a time...

Everything I know, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Anyone know of a quiet house with two rooms for second semester of next year? Two 3rd year girls.

Been looking at Troy, Groody etc but now sure if they'll already be filed up for second semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Anyone know of a quiet house with two rooms for second semester of next year? Two 3rd year girls.

Been looking at Troy, Groody etc but now sure if they'll already be filed up for second semester?

Groody is... Troy wouldnt be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Ldu

Hiiii!

do you know if there are still rooms at either troy or brookfield for just the autumn semester?? I tried to contact troy but the email i send the message to seems to be wrong...
    between those 2, which one do you think it's better regarding distance, party,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Ldu wrote: »
    Hiiii!

do you know if there are still rooms at either troy or brookfield for just the autumn semester?? I tried to contact troy but the email i send the message to seems to be wrong...
    between those 2, which one do you think it's better regarding distance, party,...

Troy is closer to college than brookfield. It's beside Groody.

Troy is closer to college than brookfield. It's beside Groody.

yes i've seen it on the map! but it's just 10 mins walking between brookfield and troy. taking into account the price difference, which is just around 200-300€, which one do you think is worth it? i've seen that brookfield has its own gym, so I wouldn't have to pay for the arena or go there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Ldu wrote: »
    yes i've seen it on the map! but it's just 10 mins walking between brookfield and troy. taking into account the price difference, which is just around 200-300€, which one do you think is worth it? i've seen that brookfield has its own gym, so I wouldn't have to pay for the arena or go there...

I didn't know Brookfield had a gym, A gym would be really handy! But Troy is closer to Aldi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Applied for Brookfield, forgot it had a gym because I had looked at so many places. Any one else applying for there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Brookfield will always have places

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Hatch92

Ross1986 wrote: »
    Applied for Brookfield, forgot it had a gym because I had looked at so many places. Any one else applying for there?

Ive lived in brookfield first semester this year and tbh don't have high hopes about the brookfield gym its useless.

There is a small room with a chest press machine a rowing machine and an actual bike in-case you want to work legs,, there is also a water machine in the corner and some 5 kg dumbbells.

The accomadation is nice they have spacious apartments with leather couches the internet is a bit annoying at times though as you need a code to access it and it stops working every so often and is hard to rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irish12345

im a 28 year old guy just got onto a mature student course in limerick.Is anyone on for getting a few people together and getting a house share near the university

irish12345 wrote: »
    im a 28 year old guy just got onto a mature student course in limerick.Is anyone on for getting a few people together and getting a house share near the university

I'm down for that

Brookfield will always have places

Not sure if that's a bad sign or not haha

What course will you be doing?

its politics dont worry though im not a arsehole

Are we going to do this ?

yea im on for it i would like to get a 3 or 4 bed house and everyone split everything ect what are ya studying yourself and how old are ya ect

yea im on for it i would like to get a 3 or 4 bed house and everyone split everything ect what are ya studying yourself and how old are ya ect

That sounds good to me. I've looked on daft and i've seena few thats okay.

I studied financial economics and working full time now. I'll be doingthe Msc computational finance at KBS. I'm 22.

• Advertisement

ok grand stay in touch on here and we will try and get a few more people who are on for it
    i take it your on for a year lease yea

There's a link herehttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057236497

Just to keep it much cleaner.

We can continue it there and take it to the next level. I suppose 4 will make it complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xmcam

Strongly advise students don't pick Brookfield, have heard more than 10 UL students complaining there, and the administrative people there is very unfriendly, and the newly MD is very mean afak.

Be very careful about their lease agreement, also they have having a new policy, "

If a student is evicted, no refunds of rental will be made.
    In the case of early departure, the onus is on the student to find someone to take their room. Until a replacement has been found, the student will not be refunded. Please note that when a student leaves, Brookfield Hall management have the right to move another resident into that student’s vacant room. If this occurs, however, the student must still find a replacement for the room which is vacant. "

in other words, if you want to end your lease agreement earlier, you need to get someone cover you, otherwise you need to pay for the rents of the rest of the months, and normally you are very unlikely to receive get the deposit in this case.

The facility there is getting very old, and poor. Also the door system is useless, you need to call security for help very often.

In my experience, picking on-campus accommodation is the best, then goes with Troy, Courtyard. There are also many good options in daft.ie, be careful with some of the landlords though, read the lease very carefully if they ask you to sign,

xmcam wrote: »
    In the case of early departure, the onus is on the student to find someone to take their room. Until a replacement has been found, the student will not be refunded. Please note that when a student leaves, Brookfield Hall management have the right to move another resident into that student’s vacant room. If this occurs, however, the student must still find a replacement for the room which is vacant. "

Same policy has existed for on-campus accommodation for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xmcam

I don't know that, but for on-campus accommodation if you have problems you can call for ul accommodation office or student union for help; for brookfield, it's more like a private running business, if there are problems, it's more complicated,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Only 10? :P
    In fairness, what you've stated is fairly reasonable. The worst report I have heard about Brookfield is theft by management. A friend stayed there for a semester. She had all her rent paid and had receipts for everything but the management still accused her of not paying rent. When she protested, they took a few expensive items out of her room and changed her lock. Everything she owned was in the room, including her wallet. They insisted she hadnt paid, despite her having receipts and were threatening to sell her stuff that they took out (all of which happened to be presents from other people) to cover the costs. They were also extremely rude to her, telling her to go get mammy and daddy to sort out rent and speaking to her in a very condescending tone. Little did they know that her mother was a solicitor and it took a letter from her before they would give anything back and drop the rent thing.

xmcam wrote: »
    I don't know that, but for on-campus accommodation if you have problems you can call for ul accommodation office or student union for help; for brookfield, it's more like a private running business, if there are problems, it's more complicated,

I wasn't asking, I was saying that that policy is there. It's been written into the four lease agreements I've signed.

Just thought that should be pointed out since you're using it as a knock against Brookfield.

freeze4reall it says your message allowance has been reached ect ya need to delete some before you can get new ones

whats the story anyway

freeze4reall it says your message allowance has been reached ect ya need to delete some before you can get new ones

whats the story anyway

You can try now. I've delete some messages. There's 4 now.

• Advertisement

At this point I don't know whether there is any place available for just one semester or not! I know that on-campus is already full, and so are Troy and Groody. So my only options are either Brookfield, Parkview hall or renting a room at a private house...but the latter seems impossible because everytime I contact a landlord they say the minimun is 9 months!

Advertisement