Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irish12345

yea im looking to get a few people together to rent a private place
    you will only really get a standard 1 year lease but if your there over 6 months i think your entitled to your deposit back
    not sure on it but i remember someone telling me that anyway worse case scenario is loosing your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

There are always rooms available in private houses for single semesters, due to people being on co-op, TP etc. Your best bet really is to walk around the estates. There's usually signs[posters up in windows with rooms available

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Ldu wrote: »
    At this point I don't know whether there is any place available for just one semester or not! I know that on-campus is already full, and so are Troy and Groody. So my only options are either Brookfield, Parkview hall or renting a room at a private house...but the latter seems impossible because everytime I contact a landlord they say the minimun is 9 months!

ive had friends just break their lease and sacrifice the deposit.... not great for the landlord but....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ldu

The Bogman wrote: »
    There are always rooms available in private houses for single semesters, due to people being on co-op, TP etc. Your best bet really is to walk around the estates. There's usually signs[posters up in windows with rooms available

i know there might be places...but I'm not from Ireland, so I can't just walk around looking for those signs! :(

ive had friends just break their lease and sacrifice the deposit.... not great for the landlord but....

so you mean that I could tell the landlord I'm staying for the full year and then in December tell him that i'm moving out? in average, how much is the deposit?

• Advertisement

i know there might be places...but I'm not from Ireland, so I can't just walk around looking for those signs! :(

Ah! Yeah, that would be a problem alright.

so you mean that I could tell the landlord I'm staying for the full year and then in December tell him that i'm moving out? in average, how much is the deposit?

Usual deposit is between 200e - 300e?

For the 4 years that i've spent in houses in CC, Milford etc and the 4 different landlords ive had, deposit has always been equal to a moths rent.....so yeah roughly 240-280. Im sure other landlords do it differently though.

The Bogman wrote: »
    For the 4 years that i've spent in houses in CC, Milford etc and the 4 different landlords ive had, deposit has always been equal to a moths rent.....so yeah roughly 240-280. Im sure other landlords do it differently though.

and are you sure that if I rent a room for the full year but then I move out in December the only loss will be the deposit? I mean, how can I know for sure that they won't make me pay the months that I was supposed to stay there?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

and are you sure that if I rent a room for the full year but then I move out in December the only loss will be the deposit? I mean, how can I know for sure that they won't make me pay the months that I was supposed to stay there?

Landlords can't really make you do anything. The law says that you can null & void any contract with a months notice, and have no lasting responsibility to pay it. That said the landlord isn't obliged to repay your deposit in that case.

It is possible to find houses that offer term contracts, or no contract at all, on the knowledge that you will be leaving in January, and then they will give you your deposit back anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone got deposits back from CLS yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Has anyone got deposits back from CLS yet?

Nope. Was actually coming here to ask this same question. I'd say it'll have to be within the next week though, s'usually mid-July isn't it?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Nope. Was actually coming here to ask this same question. I'd say it'll have to be within the next week though, s'usually mid-July isn't it?
    Its July thats allI know. I was only there for Semester 1 last year and cant really remember before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wild_swan

Hi, can anyone give me some info on what Thomond village accommodation is like? They can't let anyone view rooms as it's full for the summer so unsure as what it is like! What's the kitchens like in the 4bed? Are they the small fridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ToxicB

Can anyone plz tell me if there is vacancy in any other hall apart from Brookfield? (Parkview is too far, not considering may be)
    I am regretted as I paid the deposit before google it and get into this useful post. =[

In case, I have no other choices, can anyone give me some useful tips for staying in the Brookfield?
    Suck as bringing my own anti-theft alarm to cope with the useless door security system.

Thanks so much for any comments :)

ToxicB wrote: »

Suck as bringing my own anti-theft alarm to cope with the useless door security system.

Thanks so much for any comments :)

Hey, how does an anti theft alarm work?
    I have never heard of house robbers in Brookfield hall, are they common? In some estates they are very common, such as briarfields, and Elm park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey, how does an anti theft alarm work?
    I have never heard of house robbers in Brookfield hall, are they common? In some estates they are very common, such as briarfields, and Elm park.

I'm pretty sure an anti-theft alarm just sounds if there is a break in but I know that phones, laptops and small electronic devices (tablets) can get an app now that sounds and warns the owner and people around them if it is taken (when activated) but I wouldn't be too sure on this matter.

However, I can answer the question about thieves. Unfortunately all around each of the accommodation, theft can be quite high at some peak times (freshers week, charity week and sometimes even seasonal peaks). The on campus accommodation and places such as Brookfield are often the safest to be but if windows are left open and what not, people take the free opportunity. Usually it's quite rare, I've only heard of a few incidents in Brookfield and it was mainly housemates taking other housemates things.

Elm Park and the other estastes are hot spots for theft. My friend's house was broken into three times in one semester and took everything - including clothes and make up. Cars were also stolen in Elm so it's best to try and take valuables with you at all times if you live there.

Aragneer wrote: »

Elm Park and the other estastes are hot spots for theft. My friend's house was broken into three times in one semester and took everything - including clothes and make up. Cars were also stolen in Elm so it's best to try and take valuables with you at all times if you live there.

Lol I have been robbed about 10 times (house 3-4 times, the shed with all our bikes many more) between elm park and briarfield now, we all sleep with hurleys or baseball bats or stuff like that. Have to, could be dangerous at the weekend.

Lol I have been robbed about 10 times (house 3-4 times, the shed with all our bikes many more) between elm park and briarfield now, we all sleep with hurleys or baseball bats or stuff like that. Have to, could be dangerous at the weekend.

How crazy it is....

btw, I am going to use this kind of alarm, just for your reference...

Add [www.] before the link if you cannot see the website

aliexpress.com/item/S5M-Anti-Theft-Door-Window-Entry-Wireless-Home-Burglar-Security-Alarm-System-New/594406505.html

dhgate.com/product/blocking-anti-theft-door-alarm-120-db-security/131765486.html

At least it is portable and cheap :)

ToxicB wrote: »
    How crazy it is....

btw, I am going to use this kind of alarm, just for your reference...

Add [www.] before the link if you cannot see the website

aliexpress.com/item/S5M-Anti-Theft-Door-Window-Entry-Wireless-Home-Burglar-Security-Alarm-System-New/594406505.html

dhgate.com/product/blocking-anti-theft-door-alarm-120-db-security/131765486.html

At least it is portable and cheap :)

Ive heard of theft too, but nothing to the extreme of the above.

10 times is crazy.

Im sure Brookfield is safe from theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ive heard of theft too, but nothing to the extreme of the above.

10 times is crazy.

Im sure Brookfield is safe from theft.

I was in Brookfield last year (college year just gone) and had/heard of no issues with theft.

Any questions about Brookfield PM me

I was in Brookfield last year (college year just gone) and had/heard of no issues with theft.

Any questions about Brookfield PM me

PMed Thank you =]

what do you think about the area where Parkview hall is located? I've read that it's a bit further, but I'm going to study at the languages building, and I've seen in google maps that the building is closer to the residence.

also, is it too far from the party places?

what do you think about the area where Parkview hall is located? I've read that it's a bit further, but I'm going to study at the languages building, and I've seen in google maps that the building is closer to the residence.

What, no, the languages building is right in the centre of UL...

Brookfield is a much better choice, Parkview is ages away!

Where are you from?

Parkview is not close to any part of UL, you would have to get a bus or cycle really. It would be quite a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Agreed with the others, Parkview is ages away and the Languages Building is in the same area as the rest of the campus, so it's no closer.

If you're thinking of going for a house there's a single semester group here, you might find something: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421680148088817/?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Has anyone stayed at the Courtyard Student Village?

Agreed with the others, Parkview is ages away and the Languages Building is in the same area as the rest of the campus, so it's no closer.

If you're thinking of going for a house there's a single semester group here, you might find something:

I saw that group in facebook, but everyone is looking for second semester replacements, not many posts for the first ones. In case I find a landlord that might let me pair up with someone, so you think it's easy to find someone who would take my place the second semester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Anybody had an e-mail from Plassey or Campus Life Services about paying the first fee for the 1st of August yet?

Or does anybody know when the e-mails normally come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I got my offer two/three weeks ago from UL, accepted it and they sent me an email about the Orientation.

Was looking back on my emails to sort it out and I came across the email that I had received from UL Campus and it gives me details about what to do when I get my offer. Once I accept my offer, I'm supposed to get a text from UL to confirm or cancel my place in UL accommodation.

Doesn't say anything about Round A, just Round 0,1 and 2. Should I be worried?

Advertisement