Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

LouStack wrote: »
    Hey I'm looking for a double room to rent for the summer and possibly longer in the Castletroy area. If anybody knows of a suitable place please let me know, thank you

https://www.facebook.com/JCPropertyIreland

only available to rent for summer if Academic year included.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 saoirsemcgrath

well, hope to go to 1st year UL in September! I'd be the one into partying and drinking every night! The campus accomodation thing is closed now, but would off-campus suit better for house parties etc? Also willing to find sound housemates who are outgoing alot of craic, able to drink and not dry of course! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

No better way to introduce yourself to prospective landlords than to say you'd be the one drinking and partying every night... :P

I'd suggest going through rent and daft looking for digs in surrounding area.
    College Court has it's fair share of parties and close to college but always in high demand.

Won't get away with many parties in student accom like Groody, Brookfield, Troy so I'd say check out houses for rent in places like Brookfield, Elm Park College Court and surroundings, might pick up somewhere pretty cheap.
    Better still if you know people going to UL as well, try to stay with them as random people may not appreciate partying and drinking every night and may over time get jealous of your motivation and gusto to keep doing so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pinisi9

Hi there, I'm an exchange student for a semester of 15/16, and currently looking for accommodation around college court. Is there anyone who stayed in that area can give me some clue about it? Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamesbran

Hey im starting a post grad in September but I have never been to UL before. If any one has any advice on accommodation or if anyone needs a room mate could ye let me know. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

seeing as the accommodation applications are closed, and i am choosing to go to UL partly because of the campus and facilities, can anyone tell me what my chances are of getting on-campus accommodation the day the offers come out? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

darraghq52 wrote: »
    seeing as the accommodation applications are closed, and i am choosing to go to UL partly because of the campus and facilities, can anyone tell me what my chances are of getting on-campus accommodation the day the offers come out? :)

I'm not that sure how it works but maybe you could ring and see if they have a waiting list because there should be a few rooms opening up when the results come out

I'd look at Groody as well, it's off campus but its really nice and if you cycle its not that far at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You should still be able to apply to be put on the waiting list? I did that last year and they rang me up a day or two after the offers came out and offered me a place in Kilmurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The accommodations on-campus will be booked out but when the offers come out in August, there'll be a few available. You can ask to put your name on the waiting list. Do bare in mind that when I applied for Dromroe in February, a week after the applications was open, I didn't get it. Was offered a semester in Plassey as there was no more spaces left for 2nd semester.

Don't get your hopes high for on-campus so I'd look off-campus and in a way, they can be cheaper.

Will email them but not too sure if there is a waiting list prior to the offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

There is no waiting list. I rang them up when the applications closed and basically they said to ring them as soon as offers come out and you'll be put on the list then.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

I live in Cois Gruda. The houses are really nice and spacious, and all 4 bedrooms have a double bed. It's priced roughly the same as the much dingier houses closer to UL. It's pretty quiet there with a lot of families, would suit postgrads. However if there's a loud party in Brookefield hall you can hear it. The only complaint I have is the parking, there's way too few spaces and I'm outside the estate on the kerb most nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey, anybody know when deposits are returned from on-campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aragneer wrote: »
    Hey, anybody know when deposits are returned from on-campus accommodation?

I got mine back end of July/start of August last year judging off my emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thanks for the quick answer!

Man, that's really late though..No hope having the money back for my deposit for my August house..Darn!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Anyone know is the internet in brookefield wireless or is it like the one's on campus with the ehternet ports in each room?

omara95 wrote: »
    Anyone know is the internet in brookefield wireless or is it like the one's on campus with the ehternet ports in each room?

Both. Though it's a bit like a hotel's internet as you have to log in each time, and that got pretty annoying.

Both. Though it's a bit like a hotel's internet as you have to log in each time, and that got pretty annoying.

Do you have to log onto it with the wire or is it just the wireless that requires you to log into it every time?

omara95 wrote: »
    Do you have to log onto it with the wire or is it just the wireless that requires you to log into it every time?

Both. I had my desktop wired to it the whole year. Chrome will pop up once you turn on your computer, and you'll have to log on with a 5 digit username, and 5 digit pass.
    Also if you're thinking about it, I don't think it's worth upgrading to the 10mb internet package. I did it for the last few months there and between 6-12pm every night they throttled my speeds to less than a mb.

Both. I had my desktop wired to it the whole year. Chrome will pop up once you turn on your computer, and you'll have to log on with a 5 digit username, and 5 digit pass.
    Also if you're thinking about it, I don't think it's worth upgrading to the 10mb internet package. I did it for the last few months there and between 6-12pm every night they throttled my speeds to less than a mb.

Thanks for the heads up. Think I'm going to give Brookefield a miss so. Hate when they lower the speed or just could've been a lot of people online at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 katie88

I'm starting a postgrad in September and I really want to stay in on-campus accommodation! I have spoken to the accommodations office though and they have told me that everything is booked up, most of it since February. I had no idea it would be booked up so early, I only applied to do the course in May! :-P I asked to be put on the waiting list but they said not to get my hopes up.

Does anyone know how likely it is that some spaces will free up in September?

Also I can't live with undergraduates, well maybe 4th years but I'm 27 and I have no interest in partying. Which village is best for postgraduates? Thank you! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

katie88 wrote: »
    I'm starting a postgrad in September and I really want to stay in on-campus accommodation! I have spoken to the accommodations office though and they have told me that everything is booked up, most of it since February. I had no idea it would be booked up so early, I only applied to do the course in May! :-P I asked to be put on the waiting list but they said not to get my hopes up.

Also I can't live with undergraduates, well maybe 4th years but I'm 27 and I have no interest in partying. Which village is best for postgraduates? Thank you! :-)

On-Campus fills quick I believe and waiting lists can be long. I would say unlikely you will get in at this stage

Is a mix all over castletroy I find I have houses and I try and not to mix post and under grads for this reason. I have 1 post grad house but looking likely it will be full soon.

Best of luck

katie88 wrote: »

I don't know how likely it is that something will open up, but Quigley is the best village for what you're looking for. It's full of medical students that study all the time! Outside of that look at Cappavilla, Thomond, and Drumroe.

Hi, thanks for the reply

Could you private message me a link to the property if it is on daft?

It'd be great to live with other postgrads :-)

Thanks

I don't know how likely it is that something will open up, but Quigley is the best village for what you're looking for. It's full of medical students that study all the time! Outside of that look at Cappavilla, Thomond, and Drumroe.

Okay, good to know. It would be great to live in that kind of environment. Just have to keep my fingers crossed I guess. Thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I thought Quigley was the only option for Postgrads on campus as the other villages were reserved for undergrads?

If this is the case, I'd imagine your chances of getting into on-campus are extremely low, as I'd imagine the dropoff of postgrads as we approach September wouldn't be that high.

If I'm wrong and they do put postgrads in other villages, then your chances are better, as once the offers come out a few places will open up. However, I wouldn't bank on it, as at this stage you'll be well down waiting list, as people have been adding their names to it since February.

In terms of villages, Cappavilla and Dromroe would be the quietest, but Dromroe has gotten far worse over the past few years (lived there for 5 years, got steadily more rowdy as years went on (or else my tolerance just dipped :P)).

Off campus, avoid Elm Park and College Court if you can. Milford Grange, Dun an Oir and Oaklawns would be my recommendations.

could anyone recommend the best off-campus student villages for an incoming first year in september?

could anyone recommend the best off-campus student villages for an incoming first year in september?

I would have recommended Brookfield hall, but I just heard this morning that the cost is going up by 20% in September.

You could look at Groody or Troy...

I would have recommended Brookfield hall, but I just heard this morning that the cost is going up by 20% in September.

You could look at Groody or Troy...

was looking at Courtyard and Groody, which one would be best?

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I thought Quigley was the only option for Postgrads on campus as the other villages were reserved for undergrads?

If this is the case, I'd imagine your chances of getting into on-campus are extremely low, as I'd imagine the dropoff of postgrads as we approach September wouldn't be that high.

If I'm wrong and they do put postgrads in other villages, then your chances are better, as once the offers come out a few places will open up. However, I wouldn't bank on it, as at this stage you'll be well down waiting list, as people have been adding their names to it since February.

In terms of villages, Cappavilla and Dromroe would be the quietest, but Dromroe has gotten far worse over the past few years (lived there for 5 years, got steadily more rowdy as years went on (or else my tolerance just dipped :P)).

Off campus, avoid Elm Park and College Court if you can. Milford Grange, Dun an Oir and Oaklawns would be my recommendations.

Okay, thanks for the off campus recommendations :-)

Advertisement