Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If you've applied, don't worry about induction. It's a completely pointless waste of time that as far aw I'm aware they don't check. I know I didn't bother doing it for the last 3 years I lived on campus and nothing was ever said about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

induction is just stuff such as "here's the kitchen" and "how to be a good housemate", etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I emailed them last month and they told me the best way to apply was on the phone. 40 minutes of calling and I get through to be told it can't be done through the phone :(

Got in my application before 10 anyway so here's hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thesash

Two second year lads looking for two rooms for the first semester, both non smokers. Would need to be in walking distance or a short bus ride to UL. Please PM if anyone knows of anybody who has spare rooms or of a house going...even just to accommodate one of them, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

got a call around midday yesterday offered my first choice, delighted :D

• Advertisement

tr0llface wrote: »
    got a call around midday yesterday offered my first choice, delighted :D

Were you on the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kingfeek

Is anyone else as f***ed as I am? Courtyard village said they had spaces available on their website. I applied on the 15th and heard nothing back, and of course I ring today and find out they're full. I'm now on the waiting list of 4 different villages, aswell as on-campus accommodation. I've heard nothing from any of them, and a bit of panic is setting in. Should I wait for a cancellation from one of the villages, or would I be better off looking for a house at this stage? Would places open up during the second round of CAO offers?

kingfeek wrote: »
    Is anyone else as f***ed as I am? Courtyard village said they had spaces available on their website. I applied on the 15th and heard nothing back, and of course I ring today and find out they're full. I'm now on the waiting list of 4 different villages, aswell as on-campus accommodation. I've heard nothing from any of them, and a bit of panic is setting in. Should I wait for a cancellation from one of the villages, or would I be better off looking for a house at this stage? Would places open up during the second round of CAO offers?

My advice would be to start looking for a house. The longer you leave it, the harder it'll be to find a house. Like, you may as well look and you might find a nice house as opposed to just waiting by the phone y'know?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    My advice would be to start looking for a house. The longer you leave it, the harder it'll be to find a house. Like, you may as well look and you might find a nice house as opposed to just waiting by the phone y'know?

Thanks for the reply, I might hold out until tomorrow evening in the (slim) hope of getting a place in a village, and then seriously start looking for a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thanks for the reply, I might hold out until tomorrow evening in the (slim) hope of getting a place in a village, and then seriously start looking for a house.

At best, give one more day-evening and then you should probably look up new houses. The rent website have a 'share' option and some houses ask for first years and you'll be dealing mostly with students rather than through an agent or something so that may be the best choice for you at this stage? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 cjcooly

Does anyone have any update on how many places ucd have left ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

cjcooly wrote:
    Does anyone have any update on how many places ucd have left ?

This is UL :) there's a UCD forum

TBH, I'd nearly start having a look on Daft, rent, collegecribs, etc tonight and just start getting some idea of what's there. Maybe put together a list of phone numbers to ring. You could even start giving some a ring tomorrow and set up viewings for next week. Then if you get a place in one of the villages tomorrow or Friday, grand, you can just call and tell 'em you've found somewhere, but if you don't get a place you'll have a fall back.

I'd especially recommend this if you're on your own. Finding a landlord that'll take just one person can be a pain in the hole at times depending on where you're looking, so the more time you spend at it, the better.

Best of luck with it all anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

contact me here if you still looking

https://www.facebook.com/JCPropertyIreland

As a landlord and some the calls I have been getting the last week there is VERY little left. the entire system is messed up and offers being so close to term start makes it really difficult for 1st years to get a good decent place.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

A friend of mine rang the on campus accommodation the day she got her results to be put on the waiting list, has she got a chance ?

Midkemia wrote: »
    A friend of mine rang the on campus accommodation the day she got her results to be put on the waiting list, has she got a chance ?

There's really no way of knowing. I've known people who got on campus rooms in like Week 1 or 2 (people dropping out just as semester starts), but honestly, I wouldn't advise anyone on a waiting list to bank on getting a place at this stage.

I would say try and find off campus stuff, and delay paying a deposit as long as possible in case on-campus does come through. :P

Just got a call offering me Thomond which was last on my list :(

When did you put your name down on the list? I didn't put mine down until Tuesday, not sure if I have any hope

When did you put your name down on the list? I didn't put mine down until Tuesday, not sure if I have any hope

My application went in at 9:40 on Monday morning and they were only able to offer me my 5th choice today.

In order words, start looking elsewhere I would say.

• Advertisement

My application went in at 9:40 on Monday morning and they were only able to offer me my 5th choice today.

In order words, start looking elsewhere I would say.

Ah well that seems to be that, time to book a house.

Anyone know which housing areas would be of better quality, or which ones would be rougher than others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Anyone know which housing areas would be of better quality, or which ones would be rougher than others?

They're all about the same really. College Court is considered the worst though, Elm and Milford would be around the same, both of them aren't too bad, then the further out you go Briarfield/The Ceders etc it'd get less and less student-y so less rougher. Though there's families living in Elm and Milford too so those ones aren't that rough.

They're all about the same really. College Court is considered the worst though, Elm and Milford would be around the same, both of them aren't too bad, then the further out you go Briarfield/The Ceders etc it'd get less and less student-y so less rougher. Though there's families living in Elm and Milford too so those ones aren't that rough.

Thank you very much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Families live in College Court too! A friend of mine lives there with his family (Dad happens to be a lecturer who brings in serious money for UL), and has lived there for pretty much all of his teenage years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

iLaura wrote: »
    Families live in College Court too! A friend of mine lives there with his family (Dad happens to be a lecturer who brings in serious money for UL), and has lived there for pretty much all of his teenage years!

Yeah I figured there probably was, but I didn't know for sure so I didn't want to say anything wrong.

Thomond's actually a grand spot IMO. In ways I prefer the apartments there to Dromroe.

You'll get good and bad houses in all the estates tbh. Like, I'm moving into College Court in a week and it's a cracking house. But there's houses in there that are right tips. Ditto Elm Park.

I've lived in Oaklawns for the past two summers and I really like it. A lot of families and professionals there so it's a bit quieter than the more studenty estates. Nice enough houses too.

Briarfield would probably be a good bet at this stage. Since those are further out, they'd probably be more likely to still have rooms left.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Thomond's actually a grand spot IMO. In ways I prefer the apartments there to Dromroe.

I took it reluctantly due to the price but it's still better for me than staying off campus, plus the ensuite and double bed doesn't sound too bad ;)

How long does it take to walk to the main building from Thomond?

I took it reluctantly due to the price but it's still better for me than staying off campus, plus the ensuite and double bed doesn't sound too bad ;)

How long does it take to walk to the main building from Thomond?

Less than 10 minutes depending on how fast you walk. That bridge is a b*tch when it's windy though. :P

• Advertisement

I have 1 room left in a house in The Cedars sharing with others 1st Year Girls.
    Message me here: https://www.facebook.com/JCPropertyIreland

Advertisement