Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NotInTheMood

Well lads, (hopefully) an incoming first year here. Just wondering if anyone could clear up the whole process for the next few days? I've no accommodation sorted or anything and I'm just considering my options. I know that after we get our offers monday I'll try and get something on campus, does anyone have any idea what each village is like? Also it says on the UL website that a waiting list will open at 9 on monday, but am I likely to get anything from that?? Has anyone here had experience with it? If I can't get anything there I'm happy enough to go off campus as long as it's mostly first years like. Is this a safe enough approach to things? i haven't done a whole lot of research but I'm trying not to be too stressed about the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Well lads, (hopefully) an incoming first year here. Just wondering if anyone could clear up the whole process for the next few days? I've no accommodation sorted or anything and I'm just considering my options. I know that after we get our offers monday I'll try and get something on campus, does anyone have any idea what each village is like? Also it says on the UL website that a waiting list will open at 9 on monday, but am I likely to get anything from that?? Has anyone here had experience with it? If I can't get anything there I'm happy enough to go off campus as long as it's mostly first years like. Is this a safe enough approach to things? i haven't done a whole lot of research but I'm trying not to be too stressed about the whole thing

Once the waiting list opens, get on it as soon as you can. I did that when I got my UL offer and I was given a place, if that fails, get on to Brookfield or Groody, though I say Groody is full. If those both fail, just check daft.ie and try find anything.

I know you're trying not to be stressed, but it is really late so you can't be too picky, if you get offered anywhere on campus take it, regardless of what village it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EamonThomas

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I've secured my course in UL for next year but finding ACCOMODATION seems to be a bit of a disaster! The UL website said that a wait list for ACCOMODATION for first year students will be open on Monday the 22nd of August, but am I likely to get anything from that? If not does anyone have any recommendations for off campus ACCOMODATION where first years tend to go? Anyone else in a similar predicament to mine? Am coming to Limerick alone so this is turning into a bit of a daunting process, any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Not a UL student but around Limerick for my internship from WIT. If anyone happens to need a roomie or has a spare room for 2 months give me a message please. I know it's a bit pointless asking but few landlords want to rent to me on my own and airbnb is working out too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ellen97

I'm the exact same, I've been up since the offers have been out refreshing the accommodation page does anyone know when the ul accommodation portal opens i'm going to be sick if I wait any longer :(

• Advertisement

Ellen it's apparently opening at 9am this morning, gonna try and ring the accomodation office as well as try the website, just hoping for the best at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ellen97

Thanks!!!I wanted on campus but it's not looking great. Ah sure fingers crossed we'll both get something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If anyone knows of a house willing to accept a first year student, PM me please! Looking for my brother, and the accommodation's office number has been busy all morning.

EDIT: And Courtyard is fully booked, and SUPER rude on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Anyone else having trouble getting through to Groody today? The number wont even work for me. I have my place sorted and everything, just wanted to ring them about something.

Anyone else having trouble getting through to Groody today? The number wont even work for me. I have my place sorted and everything, just wanted to ring them about something.

Couldn't get through either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnChat12

Hey I was able to get onto the waiting list around half 9 this morning. Any ideas on the likely hood of getting a place and how long does it take for them to start offering places to live. Should i start looking for accommodation elsewhere and if so anybody have any ideas where to start?

Hey guys, I'm an incoming first year and I got my name on the waiting list for accomodation this morning at around 9:10am... What are the chances of me actually getting on campus accomodation? And as regards off campus accomodation is there any area where first years tend to live? Thanks in advance for any replies😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ricimaki

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Anyone know much about Courtyard? I'm mainly interested in what're the noise levels like? I'm viewing a house later that's right outside it, so it'd be good to know if it's party central or a more subdued area...

Only seeing this now. I stayed there for first and second year (Sep 2012- May 2014). Its very quite, with the only noisy times I can remember being Halloween and the night of race day. It was far from party central anyway.

Houses are nice, with each bedroom having its own bathroom. The bus service to UL is OK, but don't expect to make a 9 am lecture if you miss the first one. Its also slow in the evenings. Courtyard is more or less the same distance from UL as brookfield, so 25-30mins walk, or ~5 minute cycle. The broadband in the house was fairly slow when I was there, at around 4-5Mbps. There was also fairly basic television included, along with bins, electricity, heating and the likes. Car parking spaces were a bit tight. You'd get a spot on a Sunday evening, but it fills up by Monday morning, and stays full until Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ricimaki wrote: »
    Only seeing this now. I stayed there for first and second year (Sep 2012- May 2014). Its very quite, with the only noisy times I can remember being Halloween and the night of race day. It was far from party central anyway.

Houses are nice, with each bedroom having its own bathroom. The bus service to UL is OK, but don't expect to make a 9 am lecture if you miss the first one. Its also slow in the evenings. Courtyard is more or less the same distance from UL as brookfield, so 25-30mins walk, or ~5 minute cycle. The broadband in the house was fairly slow when I was there, at around 4-5Mbps. There was also fairly basic television included, along with bins, electricity, heating and the likes. Car parking spaces were a bit tight. You'd get a spot on a Sunday evening, but it fills up by Monday morning, and stays full until Thursday.

Much obliged. Won't be staying in Courtyard itself, but I'm looking at houses in Curragh Birin and Bru na Gruadan which border it, so it's good to know it's not a College Court situation... :pac:

Much obliged. Won't be staying in Courtyard itself, but I'm looking at houses in Curragh Birin and Bru na Gruadan which border it, so it's good to know it's not a College Court situation... :pac:

Boyfriend lived in Curragh Birin and it was very quiet. It was, however, very cold.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Boyfriend lived in Curragh Birin and it was very quiet. It was, however, very cold.

Heh, considering the price of the room I'm going to view tomorrow, I knew there had to be a catch... :pac:

On the plus side, it's right around the corner from Four Seasons... *drool*

wnolan1992 wrote:

Ha that was most definitely a plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

The one downside of living in Briarfield, no last minute Four Seasons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ShaneReaction 123

Did Anyone who joined the accommodation wait list on Monday get an offer yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nuggetzz

any other first year student staying in courtyard this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Moolaaa

anyone have anything to tell me about oaklawns? reviews experience that sort?

Moolaaa wrote: »
    anyone have anything to tell me about oaklawns? reviews experience that sort?

Nice enough houses IMO if you get a decent one (some dodgy landlords there trying to fit 7 or 8 into a house that realistically will only comfortably house 5).

Walls are paper thin so you'll hear everything. Have only lived there in the summer, but I'd imagine they're cold enough in winter. The further into the estate you can get the better. I lived in a place right next to the road and the traffic noise was annoying when trying to have a lie in on a Saturday, or trying to get those last few minutes of sleep before the alarm went off.

Seems to be a fair few families in there too relative to Elm and College Court, but having never really been there during term I can't really say if noise levels are bad or not.

All in all, I like Oaklawns. I personally think it's a step above both Elm Park and College Court, but that's just IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mayoforsam2016

i applied for Ul campus pretty much straight away on monday when it opened up. anyone know if i have a chance of getting offered a place. i know of people last year that were in my position and they did but this year is mentle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Left this accommodation lark pretty late...
    Emailing and calling everywhere to no avail..
    Head is wrecked and still have to fit everything around work...
    Going to an interview Wednesday as well in Limerick still not having found accommodation.
    Head is fried at the moment..
    College is looming and still so much to do..
    Need to catch Course Coordinator as well at some point to recommence year...
    Only have 2 Sundays and a Wednesday to do everything.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Visaquestion

Is anyone looking for a housemate or know of any available accommodation? I am looking for a place to stay for the full academic year, I would take first semester only if I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Esophagus

If anyone wants to try and coordinate an attempt to rent a house together or w/e, I am willing. I am an incoming 1st-year GEMS student.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

could someone advise on possible ajoining town to limerick which has bus that would pass UL. Accomodation in Limerick is a nightmare to find

flogthebog wrote: »
    could someone advise on possible ajoining town to limerick which has bus that would pass UL. Accomodation in Limerick is a nightmare to find

Not sure if there's a bus or not, but I know people who commute from Patrickswell, and I know others who live in Ennis and get the train in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Esophagus

To get accommodation in Limerick, you need to actually be there because many people are already and are able to instantly go to viewings. So, I reckon you would find it a bit easier if you got into a B&B there for temp or something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Esophagus wrote: »
    To get accommodation in Limerick, you need to actually be there because many people are already and are able to instantly go to viewings. So, I reckon you would find it a bit easier if you got into a B&B there for temp or something.
    What you say is very true. We were caught by surprise by our son. All indicators were that leaving results weren't going to be up to much so we had figured on a local PLC course. We have successfully got a deferral for a year so at least we will be primed next time out. In the meantime I have rang around but as you say you need to be there on the ground. Maybe let the young guy do a working holiday in Oz for a part of the coming year and the extra years maturity will do no harm. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement