Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jasonthelad

hey guys moving into accom tomorrow in Plassey and I'm just wondering where do I go to get my key and pay my rental fees?? Is it the Campus Life Services Building or the Plassey Village reception?

Also I have a bank draft for €1500 for the Student Services Contribution and I am wondering where should I go with that? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

hey guys moving into accom tomorrow in Plassey and I'm just wondering where do I go to get my key and pay my rental fees?? Is it the Campus Life Services Building or the Plassey Village reception?

Also I have a bank draft for €1500 for the Student Services Contribution and I am wondering where should I go with that? Thanks!

Ideally your rental fees are supposed to be paid online through the student living portal prior to arriving, but they will take the card payment at reception on check in. You won't get your key until you have paid, and this all happens at reception.

The student contribution draft goes to the fees office in the main building, here's a video on how to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7gIHzO8VU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Anyone looking for accommodation, I was sorted 2 weeks ago and at that stage I had to give the landlord the deposit for myself and my friend just to guarantee that the house would not be given away.

He had 30 missed calls by the end of that day,and told me I was very lucky I rang him within 5 minutes of the advert going up on Daft.ie.

Now a lot of the landlords I rang before did try scaremonger me into taking the house before viewing but most are genuine that the house is being viewed on that day and give warning that you should get down in time. Never take a house without viewing.

I travelled down from Dublin at 7pm and viewed for 30 mins,paid deposit and got last bus home for 9.

Anyone looking now,you should take time to build up list of houses to view and try get down tomorrow or Thursday. I was screwed last year as I booked a house on the Sunday before term as there was nothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Finally got accomodation!
    Day before and in Milford no less!
    Stones throw :D
    And cheap :D

Standby for inevitable bitchiness...
    Ill try ans find a thread for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aislin123

Which would people recommend Plassey or Groody? pros? cons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

aislin123 wrote: »
    Which would people recommend Plassey or Groody? pros? cons?

I lived in Plassey for my 1st and 4th year. My first year - the house was immaculate and had just been redone. Lived with 7 others which did not bother me for a while until I learned that they were all slobs and I found melted cheese puffs traipsed into every corner of our apartment. Now of course, that is the people.

I was at the back of Plassey and noise was never an issue. My bad experience was the housemates. We were in a mixed house of boys and girls and of all different years.

In my 4th year, I was put in an all girls house and there were only two of us that were local to Ireland (I'm a Brit but lived here 9 years so 'local' enough compared to the 6 Americans/Australians/Canadians we were put with). The house was shoddy. So much damage and it hadn't been cleaned when we arrived (There was actually poo in the toilet...and mould all over). I had a bottom floor room and was in the corner which meant I was in the trees and we got no sunshine. House was cold and any problems we had, they did not fix. Upstairs didn't have hot water or a working shower for a full month and a half. On top of that, they took a hell of a lot of money off us instead of giving us our deposit and blamed it on 'repainting'. When argued against, with photo evidence, they would not budge.

I've not lived in Groody but spent a lot of time there with friends. I found the three houses I was in were poor quality, similar to any off campus house but for a higher price. Groody is a bit of a trek up to uni so if you want to be a good student and attend a lot, I would recommend Plassey. That was always my favourite thing.

Plassey is also beautiful when the sun comes out. Everyone is playing sports, sunbathing, having laughs and chat and everything and it is just a really nice atmosphere. I always enjoyed that.

Just for the price tag, it is very touch and go with what you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I haven't lived in Plassey since 2013 so can't really comment on it these days, but I wouldn't go back personally. Found it very noisy, and more expensive.

This is my second year in Groody. I'm in a three bed and it's clean, and warm. The area in general is pretty quiet, the people in the house above mine like to play music a lot but other than that it's fine. I got my entire deposit + extra from electricity we didn't spend back last year, which never happened on campus. If I could go back I'd have just lived in Groody for the past 4 years, it's grand and I don't mind the walk at all (15-20 mins max), and it's close to Aldi. The TVs in the 3 beds are terrible and not worth even turning on (think the 6 beds have normal ones) and the wifi can be dodgy at times.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Perspective of someone who's never lived in either, basing it on experience plus accounts of people who have.

Plassey Pros: Closer to campus. Nice enough houses. Secure, reception services, etc. Good for the first year bantz, parties.
    Plassey Cons: Expensive. Depending on your mindset, campus security can be an irritant. Noisy.

Groody Pros: Less expensive. Quieter area. 3 bed apartemtns.
    Groody Cons: Further away. Internet is a bit sh*t by reports on this thread.

Hi does anybody know anything about Parkville Court? In regards to distance from UL or anything at all?

Hi does anybody know anything about Parkville Court? In regards to distance from UL or anything at all?

It's about a 30- 40 minute walk depending on where your classes are. I would recommend trying to purchase a bike if you're able to cycle from a student leaving for the semester.

It's a good area since it's away from the noise of the likes of Elm Park and College Court, plus Dunnes shopping centre is right beside it.

• Advertisement

How long of a cycle is it do you know?

How long of a cycle is it do you know?

About 15 minutes. From people I know who've lived there, it's not recommended if there is an alternative available.

Article on it here: http://www.anfocal.ie/news/18242/off-campus-accommodation-making-students-feel-isolated-from-university

About 15 minutes. From people I know who've lived there, it's not recommended if there is an alternative available.

Article on it here: http://www.anfocal.ie/news/18242/off-campus-accommodation-making-students-feel-isolated-from-university

If you do end up deciding to cycle, and this goes to everyone, be careful where you park your bike!

Do not park under the Engineering Research building in UL.

Park in the Bike Hub, its free once you ask Smarter Travel UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zuzu437

I'm doing my leaving cert this year and I'm planning on staying on campus. I don't know anyone going to UL and I'm not sure which village would be for me. Any recommendations?

Zuzu437 wrote: »
    I'm doing my leaving cert this year and I'm planning on staying on campus. I don't know anyone going to UL and I'm not sure which village would be for me. Any recommendations?

Are you looking for villages where there are parties/loud things going on every night with lots and lots of first years? Or are you looking for a nice place that's quiet but you'd have to travel to the parties?

No matter where you choose to live you will be living with first years, but Kilmurry and Plassey (Kilmurry more so) have a larger number of first years/party reputation than the others. Another question is if you're looking for a double bed and ensuite or if you'd be okay with sharing a bathroom and having a single bed.

Price point next year will be similar for all villages apart from Plassey and Troy which will probably be the cheapest by a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zuzu437

Yeah I'm looking for a place with lots of parties etc and I've heard that plassey is the best place for that but I've also heard that the houses there are old and broken down. Is that true?

Yeah I'm looking for a place with lots of parties etc and I've heard that plassey is the best place for that but I've also heard that the houses there are old and broken down. Is that true?

Personally I would say Kilmurry is the best place for constant partying and by next year all the houses there will be refurbished (and the new ones are unreal). Plassey houses are not old, they all got completely renovated around 5/6 years ago as far as I know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭aled

My son starts in UL next September (he took a year out after leaving cert). So we went down to have a look around and UL is fantastic. So now its a matter of accommodation. Brookfield Hall looks pretty good. The cost of on-campus accommodation is crazy for what is provided. Anyone have suggestions of what would be the best solution for a first year. He is not a party animal but does like his comforts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Plassey used to have that reputation but it seems to have been awarded to Kilmurry for 2-3 years now. I've seen it barricaded before (outside of rag week - which happens to all villages around then) and heard plenty of rumours about partying there. When I lived in Plassey in 2014, the only parties that were there were held by the international houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

aled wrote: »
    My son starts in UL next September (he took a year out after leaving cert). So we went down to have a look around and UL is fantastic. So now its a matter of accommodation. Brookfield Hall looks pretty good. The cost of on-campus accommodation is crazy for what is provided. Anyone have suggestions of what would be the best solution for a first year. He is not a party animal but does like his comforts

Groody Student Accommodation is probably the best of both worlds for your situation. Plenty of students around for a new first year to make friends, but the houses are as nice as any I've seen off campus also. Might be a bit pricey aswell though. It's also a 10-15 min walk to college if that would be a problem.

• Advertisement

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Groody Student Accommodation is probably the best of both worlds for your situation. Plenty of students around for a new first year to make friends, but the houses are as nice as any I've seen off campus also. Might be a bit pricey aswell though. It's also a 10-15 min walk to college if that would be a problem.

I'd go with Troy instead if you were going to be down in that area. Similar prices but much, much better if you have any issues and the reception is actually open when you need it to be. Personally I think the houses there are a higher standard to Groody as well.

Can I pay rent fees/the deposit by bank transfer (Groody)?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Can I pay rent fees/the deposit by bank transfer (Groody)?

Yep, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 arf123

Hoping to go to UL in September and wondering where the best place is for accommodation? Looking at Dromroe at the minute but is it worth the extra money? I'd like somewhere with a bit of craic and parties but still not overly wild if that's any help

arf123 wrote: »
    Hoping to go to UL in September and wondering where the best place is for accommodation? Looking at Dromroe at the minute but is it worth the extra money? I'd like somewhere with a bit of craic and parties but still not overly wild if that's any help

I'd probably recommend Thomond for this. Great for meeting other first years and the parties are there if you want them but ignorable if you want some quiet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

arf123 wrote: »

You've basically described Dromroe or Thomond there tbh. Kilmurry and Plassey lean further towards parties, Cappa further towards being better for study.

Of the off-campus stuff, probably best to avoid College Court as it's carnage on a fairly regular basis (slight exaggeration maybe, but still :P).

Lived in Dromroe for 5 years, would definitely recommend to first years. They'll try put you with other first years so it's a good way to make friends pretty quickly if you get lucky and don't end up with twats.

I put in an application for Groody last week and haven't heard a thing back not even an email to say they received my application. Is this normal or should I go ahead and book somewhere else??

I put in an application for Groody last week and haven't heard a thing back not even an email to say they received my application. Is this normal or should I go ahead and book somewhere else??
    That is somewhat strange. I contacted Groody some weeks ago as my son will start in UL and I wanted to make sure he has accommodation. They were very responsive. That said I have decided that Brookfield Hall is where my son will go as it meets his needs better. You can contact Groody at info@groodystudentpark.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amyshaugh

Im hoping to go to UL in September to do a Masters and thinking of Courtyard Village for my accommodation. Are rooms here snapped up fairly quickly? Their booking facility doesn't open until the 1st June. Ive also applied for Groody village. Ive accepted a room in Thomand campus but its quite expensive and will be a last resort if I dont get anything else. Ideally Id like to live with other masters students or 4th years; somewhere that's quiet enough to get work done but is not completely dead either. Do Courtyard and Groody place you in houses with students of your year/level?

• Advertisement

amyshaugh wrote: »
    Im hoping to go to UL in September to do a Masters and thinking of Courtyard Village for my accommodation. Are rooms here snapped up fairly quickly? Their booking facility doesn't open until the 1st June. Ive also applied for Groody village. Ive accepted a room in Thomand campus but its quite expensive and will be a last resort if I dont get anything else. Ideally Id like to live with other masters students or 4th years; somewhere that's quiet enough to get work done but is not completely dead either. Do Courtyard and Groody place you in houses with students of your year/level?
    Maybe something you should look at.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Courtyard-Student-Village-219953624693965/reviews/

Advertisement