Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aislin123

aled wrote: »
    That is somewhat strange. I contacted Groody some weeks ago as my son will start in UL and I wanted to make sure he has accommodation. They were very responsive. That said I have decided that Brookfield Hall is where my son will go as it meets his needs better. You can contact Groody at info@groodystudentpark.com.

After posting my question I decided to email them about it and got a response saying they don't start processing first year applications until May! I thought it would have been nice to get an email saying they'd received my application or something because I was worried that if it didn't go through all the other accommodation would be booked up! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gcs19999

Im looking for accomodation for first year off campus for next year , ive missed campus deadlines,i was wondering where would be the best place to live for first years? I would want somwhere thats preferable full of first years and is good craic, wouldnt mind too much about room situations or ensuites ect. , and what distance would each place be from the college? Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aisling4589

So I just found out I didn't get accommodation in groody for my first year. I can't afford more expensive places so it's either sharing a house with people I don't know in an estate or courtyard student village. Which would be better? pros? cons? Any advice at all is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shamhatchets

I booked Park Mews across from Parkway. Havent heard of anyone else ever staying there though. Anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

I booked Park Mews across from Parkway. Havent heard of anyone else ever staying there though. Anyone know anything about it?

Parkway is a good bit away from the college, you're looking at a good 30/35 minute walk I'd say. You'll probably be in with a lot of LSAD students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shamhatchets

Thats where Im going anyways. I thought that UL students might have more of an idea about it since I couldnt find any other info.
    Park Mews is cheap enough though, 300 or less and you can pay it monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Anyone I know from UL who's lived there has moved out as soon as something nearer became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 arf123

When do you find out if you got your on campus accommodation or not? Do you get an email when the offers come out in August??

arf123 wrote: »
    When do you find out if you got your on campus accommodation or not? Do you get an email when the offers come out in August??

When you applied in February you would have gotten one of two emails - one saying you have a place and just need to accept your offer on CAO day or one saying you're on the waitlist and may be contacted on or after CAO day if a place becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Can only base on where I've stayed in the past, wrote up reviews previously on Groody and Brookfield but where I stayed this year was by far the best...
    I stayed in Milford Grange this year, specifically Louvain, a quiet secluded side road off Avignon, and found it perfect.
    By cutting through the school and church you can be in the main building in 5 minutes.
    Was 280 a month plus bills when was around 50 every two months.

Realised that bit too late that the most important thing in college is location.
    Live as close as you can within your means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 magicshy17

Hey guys I am a hopeful incoming first year to UL and if I get my place I have a room booked in Plassey - I was just wondering if anyone here could give me a good idea of the stuff I'll need to bring - like should I bring my own kettle to have in my room and is there places to hang up clothes, should I bother bringing hangers and what size sheets should I get single? Twin? etc. Any advice would be most welcome!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Kettle, not unless you're going to be too shy to walk into the kitchen. Hangers, yes if you want to, no if you're happy with a floordrobe. Beds in Plassey are single size AFAIK.

From experience: baking trays, a decent set of chopping knives and tupperware.

Everything outside of that you'll probably split with housemates so it's best to wait until ye've all moved in to see who's got what. No point in three of ye buying microwaves and George Foremans the week before. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

I'm an incoming postgrad in my 30's. Looking for a decent sized room in a house with other postgrads/mature students, in case anyone has any vacancies. Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pianogirl303

Hi I'm hopefully going to be going to UL this year, im just waiting on the cao results. When on campus accomodation was available for booking in February I wants really thinking about UL so I didn't book anything after I filled out the cao in June I tried to get accomodation but it was fully booked. 😣

I now have no accomodation. I was wondering should I just wait until the cao offers come out and apply then and hope I get on campus accomodation OR should I just book off campus accomodation in Brookfield or groody?

What are the on campus villages to avoid if I get offered it after cao offers? Any thoughts on Brookfield or groody for an incoming first year?

I would like some place that has a bit of Craic but where the houses aren't wrecked and I can still get a bit of study done. Would prefer a single room .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance ðŸ˜

Hi I'm hopefully going to be going to UL this year, im just waiting on the cao results. When on campus accomodation was available for booking in February I wants really thinking about UL so I didn't book anything after I filled out the cao in June I tried to get accomodation but it was fully booked. ��

I now have no accomodation. I was wondering should I just wait until the cao offers come out and apply then and hope I get on campus accomodation OR should I just book off campus accomodation in Brookfield or groody?

What are the on campus villages to avoid if I get offered it after cao offers? Any thoughts on Brookfield or groody for an incoming first year?

I would like some place that has a bit of Craic but where the houses aren't wrecked and I can still get a bit of study done. Would prefer a single room .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance ðŸ˜

Hi there, unfortunately on campus isn't going to be an option at all on CAO day - they are not and will not be taking any more applications since they closed in February. Best bet would be to ring Groody, Brookfield or Courtyard ASAP to try and see if you can get on some sort of list for them. They are all good options for first years - much the same as on campus ie living with other first years, all inclusive apartment style, good craic if you're looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pianogirl303

Hi I am a first year ul student who is looking for a room in any place at this stage if anyone knows anywhere I would really appreciate it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

Hi I am a first year ul student who is looking for a room in any place at this stage if anyone knows anywhere I would really appreciate it

Thanks

There should be a rooom in Groody, I've just pulled out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

What's Dromroe Village like for a 31 yr old post grad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

Best off campus places for first years?
    I didn’t get an offer on campus so I want a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HOBSBAWM

Brookfield Hall is decent @Clopal.

When is the best time to look for houses? I'm only looking for a room for myself for the 18/19 academic year and on daft all of the ads are for summer lettings.

Also, I've only ever lived in student accommodation in Limerick and never a house so I've no idea about the different estates. Which estates are the quietest? I'm doing a masters this September and don't want any madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

HOBSBAWM wrote: »
    Brookfield Hall is decent @Clopal.

When is the best time to look for houses? I'm only looking for a room for myself for the 18/19 academic year and on daft all of the ads are for summer lettings.

Also, I've only ever lived in student accommodation in Limerick and never a house so I've no idea about the different estates. Which estates are the quietest? I'm doing a masters this September and don't want any madness.

I'd definitely advise Elm Park. Milford or (parts of) Briarfield would be okay. A lot of houses might already be taken for the academic year, but you could ring some of the landlords on daft advertising for summer to see if they're free for the academic year. Groody and Brookfield are off-campus student accommodation. From my own experience Groody is quiet and they're very accommodating (tell them you're post-grad and they won't put you in with 1st years etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

Anyone know what courtyard is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HOBSBAWM

iLaura wrote: »
    I'd definitely advise Elm Park. Milford or (parts of) Briarfield would be okay. A lot of houses might already be taken for the academic year, but you could ring some of the landlords on daft advertising for summer to see if they're free for the academic year. Groody and Brookfield are off-campus student accommodation. From my own experience Groody is quiet and they're very accommodating (tell them you're post-grad and they won't put you in with 1st years etc.)

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is Arena membership now included in rental fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 erincrowleyx

What is the best accommodation in UL for postgraduate students? On campus preferably and somewhere quiet and not full of undergraduates. Also, when do accommodation applications open does anyone know? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conor.golden

Does anyone have landlords numbers for houses around UL, anything appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Funkyford79

Anyone know of any private landlords looking for tenants for coming college semester? Or alternatively- any group of students needing someone to fill a house near UL?

Advertisement