Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

I have lived in Plassey, Thomond and Dromroe and heading back to Dromroe this September!!

Plassey was a hole granted but I was a first year and made the most of it and really enjoyed my time there but that was more to do with the people I was living with and around!!

Thomond - One housemate was lovely the rest were awful!! N the village manager was not the nicest either and physically hated having to walk across that bridge everyday :-( But my room was great was a corner one so it was massive and I had a proper wardrobe as well :-)

Dromroe - Loved it!! Was like straight across from the shop it was so handy!! Housemates were a let down again tho here! :-( Had to move apartments like!! But Dromroe sure has the best village manager!! Helped me out alot! ;-) Legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

1huge1 wrote: »
    Internet in Brookfield is nothng short of dire, I know this from first hand experience. If your staying there you better invest in mobile broadband from 3 or something.

Last year when demand was a lot higher for campus accommodation I got my name down the day the offers came out, around the 24th of August I was offered a place on campus. So you still have a very good chance in my opinion

Oh on a side note I got my deposit back from Courtyard today!

Just a point of information: Brookfield internet did have many problems last year. However, this year the internet system has been upgraded with a system brought in from the UK (not available in Ireland yet). This means that it should not stop working even if the electricity goes. Also by making the broadband free it means that all the ports are open and the system should run more smoothly as a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

GraGra90 wrote: »
    Just a point of information: Brookfield internet did have many problems last year. However, this year the internet system has been upgraded with a system brought in from the UK (not available in Ireland yet). This means that it should not stop working even if the electricity goes. Also by making the broadband free it means that all the ports are open and the system should run more smoothly as a result!

Errr i was in brookfield last year and it sucked ass. Dial up internet would have been better and faster.

Also i doubt they will open ports because if they do, it will just slow down to snails pace, all it needs is 1 person on the torrents and its over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

GraGra90 wrote: »
    Just a point of information: Brookfield internet did have many problems last year. However, this year the internet system has been upgraded with a system brought in from the UK (not available in Ireland yet).

And what pray tell would that system be?
    This means that it should not stop working even if the electricity goes. Also by making the broadband free it means that all the ports are open and the system should run more smoothly as a result!

Did you think before you wrote this post? If the electricity goes in Brookfield what's going to power the switches/routers in each individual building that distribute internet access to each apartment from where the fiber/leased line/collection of pots lines enter Brookfield?

The two options I can think of are either Brookfield has a back up generator in case of ESB failure (unrealistically expensive for a residential setup). Or else they've gone and got themselves a job lot of UPS's which are none too cheap themselves and are really only meant to allow a graceful shutdown of equipment.

In short if the electricty goes in Brookfield you're **** out of luck and without internet access. Unless they've discovered some magical ability to power equipment without an electricity supply (stranger things have happened you know).

How does opening all the ports make things run more smoothly? If the ports needed for http, ftp, ssh and DNS are open then most things should work fine. Things won't run any faster/slower if every other port is closed. It's a shared + finite resource so it makes sense to stop people from using torrents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 aaronlippy

just wondering does anyone know if its booked out this year as tryin t book acc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

rmacm wrote: »

Did you think before you wrote this post? If the electricity goes in Brookfield what's going to power the switches/routers in each individual building that distribute internet access to each apartment from where the fiber/leased line/collection of pots lines enter Brookfield?

The two options I can think of are either Brookfield has a back up generator in case of ESB failure (unrealistically expensive for a residential setup). Or else they've gone and got themselves a job lot of UPS's which are none too cheap themselves and are really only meant to allow a graceful shutdown of equipment.

In short if the electricty goes in Brookfield you're **** out of luck and without internet access. Unless they've discovered some magical ability to power equipment without an electricity supply (stranger things have happened you know).

How does opening all the ports make things run more smoothly? If the ports needed for http, ftp, ssh and DNS are open then most things should work fine. Things won't run any faster/slower if every other port is closed. It's a shared + finite resource so it makes sense to stop people from using torrents etc.

Seriously, I'm no techie, I just know the basics. There is a back up power supply in each block for the internet for if the electricity were to go. As for the ports being open, all I know is that having some closed caused problems last year. Also, yes, as far as I know torrents this year will be blocked to allow for better speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

rmacm wrote: »

My guess is a bike hooked up to the power lines in the back of the apartment so when the power goes down yout fatest house mate can be made power the place through strenuous exercise.:D

Hey I said it was just a guess:pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 k82009

I was down at univeristy last friday and the accomodation office had signs up saying there was still places in all five villages but that was on the condition of full years lease because i couldnt get place for 1 semester iv to go on co-op in the second semester they said they had 100 people waiting list for people tryin get 1 semester places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

k82009 wrote: »
    I was down at univeristy last friday and the accomodation office had signs up saying there was still places in all five villages but that was on the condition of full years lease because i couldnt get place for 1 semester iv to go on co-op in the second semester they said they had 100 people waiting list for people tryin get 1 semester places.
    What? Are you serious, they can't do that sure.
    I'm on erasmus till Christmas but I was gonna go off campus anyway.

none of the houes i rang either would take me there were like only rent for full year i had to go to brookfield and pay a fortune in the end and they gave me a place so i just took it caz was runnin out of options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

i rang the office about 2 weeks ago, and was told all they had was thomond for the year. booked it, packed it, fooked off:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

1huge1 wrote: »
    What? Are you serious, they can't do that sure.
    I'm on erasmus till Christmas but I was gonna go off campus anyway.

Oh yeah, myself and 2 other lads had checked in first week last December with our village manager in Cappa about the possibility of staying 1 semester for this year. While stopping short of a guarantee we did get a "shouldn't be problem" response. Come the end of April having recieved no further correspondance from Campus Life Services we checked in with them to find no, there was no room at the inn for 1 semester people.

A bit grating seeing as they've had no problems taking our money off us for 1st and 2nd yr yet despite having checked very early and being assured it wouldn't be a problem we were left out on our arses come April. Luckily Groody took us for 1 semester.

Campus Life Services for the money they take in provide a very mediocre service having experienced 2 yrs with them. They're not slow to take from deposits either.

They should allocate enough place for 2 nd years goin on work experience whats goin to happen to the 100 people on the waiting list very unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I'm looking to live in those red brick houses across from the East Entrance after christmas. Is Milford grange or Oak Lawns or something else even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Whats ths story with getting accomodation in Milford Grange?
    Just search on daft is it?

Or is it too early yet?
    Is there any way of knowing if you'll be sharing with 1st years or not?
    Im a mature going back and im neither going living a quiet monks life nor living in a kip. Someplace in the middle would be lovely ;)

Any idea on prices for Milfird Grange?
    If i remember correctly El Dorado was about as close to the side gate of UL as you can get? Can someone refresh me on the names of the lanes in Milford?

I basically want to get one as close to the side gate of UL as possible.

Do any of the houses there have broadband in them? Or would you have to go with 3 mobile etc?

Thanks
    Sorry for all the q's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

hey guys, mods dont shoot me for this thread but i couldn really find a proper answer for this question on any of the other accommodation threads!

just wondering where would be the best place to look for accommodation for a first year off campus ie is there an estate around that is usually mostly populated with first years?? as an incoming first year knowing pretty much nobody im hoping to get into a house with other first years.. i know plassey is the place to be but its too expensive so thats why il be staying off campus, but hopefully not too far away either.
    thanks in advance!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TroyKeenan

Elm Park seem nice enough (far nicer than Plassy anyway) from what ive seen of it and is walking distance to campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What's your weekly rent budget?

Pete/Seamus/Dónal...anyone want to merge the thread??

If you're not getting an answer here it's unlikely you'll get one by starting a new thread. However, now that I have you, there's no real rush for off campus accommodation. El Dorado is close enough I think.

On the other hand, the best houses will go fast. I'm working on getting work done on the houses that need it at the moment. The interested landlords are the ones that probably have good enough houses already which means there will still probably be lots of sh1tholes out there, but I've nearly done all I can from my side.

Long story short....it's not too early if you want to spend a bit of money on a good house, but if you're willing to settle for average at average cost there'll be plenty out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

slemons wrote: »
    Whats ths story with getting accomodation in Milford Grange?
    Just search on daft is it?

Or is it too early yet?
    Is there any way of knowing if you'll be sharing with 1st years or not?
    Im a mature going back and im neither going living a quiet monks life nor living in a kip. Someplace in the middle would be lovely ;)

Any idea on prices for Milfird Grange?
    If i remember correctly El Dorado was about as close to the side gate of UL as you can get? Can someone refresh me on the names of the lanes in Milford?

I basically want to get one as close to the side gate of UL as possible.

Do any of the houses there have broadband in them? Or would you have to go with 3 mobile etc?

Thanks
    Sorry for all the q's ;)

The best thing to do is go into the accomadation office inside in ul and they will give you a list of all the private student accomadation which also lists the ammenites of each house. Lived in milford grange when i was in third year in lios na sioda €60 a week rent plus bills .

We didnt have broadband put alot of house in milford grange did have broadband. There is a mix of students and residents in milford grange, in general its a quiet enough area, expect for the trail of students making there way up to the logdge through the area:D

• Advertisement

hey....im an incoming first year and put in my deposit for kilmurray first and plassey second..also the others afterwards....does any body know if theres place still available and whats my chances....booked the full year like...cheers

aaronlippy wrote: »
    hey....im an incoming first year and put in my deposit for kilmurray first and plassey second..also the others afterwards....does any body know if theres place still available and whats my chances....booked the full year like...cheers

I was down in ul student accomodation office bou 2 weeks ago and they had sign up saying that there was places in all five villages best bet is give them a ring tho!!

kool ya...well like i sed ive da deposit paid for...only done it tday like!!>.just seen sum people writin here how ders not much chance coz ders a waitin list of like 200...but den the woman sed ders places available:S.....its jus kinda confusin me..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

kool ya...well like i sed ive da deposit paid for...only done it tday like!!>.just seen sum people writin here how ders not much chance coz ders a waitin list of like 200...but den the woman sed ders places available:S.....its jus kinda confusin me..:D
    Not much cause for confusion if you were talking to someone who works there in the office that books the places and they said there are places available. I think it's safe to assume that there were places available when you paid your deposit at the very least given that they're the ones counting the places.

i know ya... they told me that they have spaces available ...but then they said also that ill be put on a waiting list and they cant guarantee my first choice...

does anybody know if kilmurry is close to where music, media etc is held??

You'll get one or the other more likely than not. They won't move on it until the CAO is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

i know ya... they told me that they have spaces available ...but then they said also that ill be put on a waiting list and they cant guarantee my first choice...
    Aha, I understand. That's a bit annoying, I guess they're chopping and changing to sort people into houses or something.

does anybody know if kilmurry is close to where music, media etc is held??
    Not really. Dromroe is closer regardless of whether you're more based in the CSIS building or the new music combo does-everything building. Probably the first one. But it's not too far away, you're talking five extra minutes at most and tbh I'd rather be in Kilmurry than Plassey from a distance point of view any day. Five minutes extra (and honestly that's all it is, whereas Plassey is definitely more) isn't too bad.

That waiting list is propably the 1 for people looking for a place for just up to xmas because after theyl be goin on work experience i could not get any place in 5 villages becaz of the waiting list as im on work experience after xmas but there was places for full term students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rachel171

I lived in Troy(had little choice in accomadation as I accepted my course the day before it began!) from last September until May and it is an absolute joke! The managment in Troy are a farce and a disgrace.

Let's put it this way, its the 5th of August and I STILL havn't recieved my deposit back.

I paid €90/wk for a room first semester and €95/wk for a room ensuite second semester. I shared the apartment with 5 others. The place was still a building site up until Christmas with on site work happening at all hours of the morning.

When I first arrived to Troy I was promised free high speed braod-band, 24 hour security, and had to put an €800 deposit down. The broad band did not work until the 2nd week in October and only lasted until beginning of November, and at that was EXTREMLY slow. We complained and complained and complained, and were given bull **** excuses and were repeatidly told "next week it'll be ready". The internet was not fixed until February 09!!! And that was after WEEKS of complaining. We recieved no compensation, let alone an apology and I personally delivered a letter to them also regards the situation, with no reply.

Also, yes they do provide falt screens but the reception was terrible on all the irish channels and the tv would cut out for days two or three days at times...we were told it could not be fixed as the managment owed the tv guy money and he would not come and fix it.

Parking- I paid €25 a month for it. Its inside large gates, granted safer than outside groody bar but you do have to pay for it!

Security-Non existent except for the first two weeks of college and Rag week..so I don't know why I had to pay for it.

On another note, managment do not quote everyone the same prices. For example some people paid €600 deposits, where as I paid 800. I know two people who lost their fobs for the gates, one was charged €50, and one €25. One of my neighbours was quoted €300 to fix the leg of a kitchen chair!! Management just listed prices off the top of their heads. Another apartments sewage and water pipes got damaged and were forced to live in the conditions (which you can only imagine). The place was so bad that there was a guy (fair play to him!!) petitioning Troy by the end of the semester.

Overall TROY is a ripoff. They are nice new apartments but the managment of them and the building quality is an absolute disgrace. The epitomy of rip-off Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Same position as well, no deposit back yet, havent heard a word. Tried ringing yesterday, no answer, and same story today. Absolutely crap.

Advertisement