Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Troy had deducted TV licence from the initial refund, however I pointed out to them that it is specifically not included in the licence agreement. New cheques were being written on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Parking is going to be charged for in Groody this year too from what I'm hearing. Kilmurry for 1st year still rates as my best overall experience with Cappa last year giving a little bit extra comfort albeit at a pretty hefty cost. I'm still of the very strong opinion that Campus Life Services does not provide adequate value for money and I'd put it largely down to extremely poor management from what I've encountered.

From a purely business p.o.v the company could seriously do with a clean out of the management, especially in the current climate where they are not guaranteed to be at capacity in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

k82009 wrote: »
    none of the houes i rang either would take me there were like only rent for full year i had to go to brookfield and pay a fortune in the end and they gave me a place so i just took it caz was runnin out of options

I know its an extra €24 (for all Mod Cons) or so a week but Brookfield is way better than Elm Park or Milford Grange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 k82009

YFlyer wrote: »
    I know its an extra €24 (for all Mod Cons) or so a week but Brookfield is way better than Elm Park or Milford Grange.
    ya i wasnt to excited bou plassey or kilmurry when i saw it bit run down so the extra 24eur prob worth it far nicer and plus all rooms are ensuite!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

Is all the beds in kilmurry and plassey accom single beds??
    Any chance of gettin a double??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Kilmurry have some doubles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tiffanys

I lived in Troy student Village from Sept 08 to May 09, in a 3 bed apt with my friend.

It was a complete disaster from the beginning.
    • When we moved in we had to sweep and mop the floors and clean everywhere before we moved in becuase it was full of dust and dirt.
    • The internet didn't work until about 6 weeks in and then was very slow or not working at all for the rest of the year.
    • We were told we would have Sky channels, we didn't have any.
    • The walls are literally paper thin, can hear every conversation from the next room and apt above.
    • The phone signal is useless have to go outside to make or recieve phonecall.
    • During the Christmas exams the sewerage from the Apt above start coming up through the showers and our complaints were ignored for 4 days! When it was fixed we had to clean it ourselves!
    • During the summer exams the sewerage problem cropped up again and was alot worse. Came out through the sink, shower and toilet pot was all over the walls and floor.
    • We have being chasing our deposits since we moved out in May and have now been informed we will not recieve them back!
    Please tell as many ppl as you can, this place is an absolute S**T Hole, and a complete rip off! I suggest to every student to bycott this place!
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Is that the new place across the way from Groody village? Groody is an absolute ****hole which is run by an asshole. No hot water for 4 weeks, it was some joke.

Yeah thats the place an absolute disaster! Management are useless aswel. I think there is alot of people complaining about the same things!

I wonder if we all sign some sort of petition could something be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Tiffanys wrote: »
    I lived in Troy student Village from Sept 08 to May 09, in a 3 bed apt with my friend.

It was a complete disaster from the beginning.
    • The phone signal is useless have to go outside to make or recieve phonecall.

To be fair the quality of the mobile phone signal you recieve isn't the responsibility of the owners of Troy. The rest of it sounds like a ****hole though....figuratively and literally from what you've mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

There really should be a sticky that lists bad accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

I was thinking of going there until i visited and most of the place was not even finished with construction. Rooms were very small and tight, no comfy feel.

Thankfully i didn't pay the deposit as i changed my mind and went to Thomond instead. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jean09

Ya, I lived there too last year, it was a complete **** hole. I would advise everyone to stay away. They just don't give a **** about students at all and they say one thing and then do another. Like I told them before I moved in that I was only there for one semester cause I was going on co-op and then they started telling me that I had said I was there for the full year and all this....the only reason I ended up there is cause I was in Brookfield the year before but left it too late to apply, there was a waiting list but I wanted to be sure I had somewhere.

Been staying in a lovely house in Dublin for co-op, finishing up in 2 weeks :) and then back to Brookfield for 4th year!!

But stay away from Troy, other places have their problems but this place really takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Can this sort of thing not be reported to the SU or the Accomadations office? As far as i known the both try and help with bad landlords etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jean09

Don't live in Troy. See other thread "Troy Student Village (Do not live there)"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tiffanys wrote: »
    [*]We have being chasing our deposits since we moved out in May and have now been informed we will not recieve them back!

They've must have had a reason for withholding your deposit?
    What did they tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Hey guys no a lad who stayed in groody iswell said it was a **** hole .

Anyone have any thing to say about plassey when your finished abusing troy;)
    Ive a room got their this year, I know the houses are ment to be a bit rough round the edges,
    But I heard management are bang on??

Any opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Secoundrow wrote: »
    Hey guys no a lad who stayed in groody iswell said it was a **** hole .

Anyone have any thing to say about plassey when your finished abusing troy;)
    Ive a room got their this year, I know the houses are ment to be a bit rough round the edges,
    But I heard management are bang on??

Any opinions

Plassey is one of on-campus accommodation villages which is run by Plassey Campus Centre, basically the University's landlord's. As the villages are run through the University it is clearly in its own interest to make sure it is a good landlord to its own student (imagine the headlines otherwise) and in general the majority of residents get on fine; obviously if you breach your contract or the University's code of conduct then your tenancy would be in jeopardy, but for most happy-go-lucky students this isn't an issue.

OP, I'd recommend that you contact the Welfare Officer in the SU and inform him of all of this. Derek Daly is the guy you're looking for and can be emailed on suwelfare@ul.ie. I'd suggest that others with similar complaints do the same. In writing (ie by email) is the best so that there is an e-trail of it and the more complaints, the more sound his argument will be if he goes to the landlord at Troy. I'd certainly bring it up with him about your deposit and definitely ask the landlord exactly why it has been retained.

Good luck.

Magnus wrote: »
    They've must have had a reason for withholding your deposit?
    What did they tell you?

They are charging us 700e each for electricity bills between 3. They said they needed to clean the place (50e). The place was spotless wen we moved out, but not when we moved in. Charging 50e for a key/fob wen I did exactly as they asked and put it in an envelope and then the post box! And charging us 50e for damages (Supposedly a tear to the couch which there was not).

I

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Right.

I'm not finished dealing with Troy yet, but I have resolved a few issues.

€50 is the standard charge for a tear in the couches, €100 for a rip. I have been told this by the manager.

If you were charged for TV licence, please contact me as I made the manager aware that the lease specifically excludes this (it won't for the coming year)

I have to remain impartial on accommodation, so I will not be making recommendations one way or the other.

General issues for ALL Accommodation
    Anyone with astronomical electricity bills request the ORIGINAL BILL, verify them with ESB and verify that they are for your unit only, not a block

Cleaning is varying, but request ALL receipts. "I did it myself" is not a valid answer. No receipt, no deduction from the deposit.

There is nothing that can be done about internet or hot water now, that needs to be reported during the year so the SU and Accommodation Office can bug the village manager.

Take photos when you move out.

Do NOT do ANYTHING over the phone. Everything by email and saved or it might as well never have been said.

Have your lease checked by the Union Support Solicitor BEFORE you sign it...that applies to landlords more than villages, but feel free to have village contracts checked too.

Call into me or email me (suwelfare@ul.ie) for the solicitor's contact details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother who'll be starting the B.Ed in Mary I in a few weeks. He's looking for a single room in a house / apt either in Castlewell, Alandale or Fitzhaven. He's tidy, mature, very friendly, good craic, and will definitely pull his weight! He's not fussy - will live with fellas or girls. If anyone has a spare room, let me know! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Did you check out the accom. list you can find at http://www.mic.ul.ie/accommodation/default.htm ?

Yeah I tried to download it but whatever type of file it is my computer won't open it!:confused:

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    Yeah I tried to download it but whatever type of file it is my computer won't open it!:confused:

It's an Excel 2007 file. Do you have Excel on your computer? I can try to convert it to an older version of excel if you like, and pm it to you?

I have excel alright, but it must be an older version. That'd be brilliant pjtb, much appreciated :)

Sent!

Just got it - it worked! Appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

when will we hear if we got on campus accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

when will we hear if we got on campus accomodation?

Are you just after getting your LC results? You should be hearing from Campus Life shortly if you have. As far as I know they contact you once the CAO is out. Did you pay your deposit? If you did your place should be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

got the confirmation messae today,does that mean i def got a place on campus?? and will it def be my preferences of plassey or kilmurray!!?? confused!!! and in regards to sharing wit a friend ,are they good to accomodate u??? replies would be nice!!

Advertisement