Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poets....

Options
  • 08-09-2005 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

What poets do you recommend to do? Or have done? Are there some poets harder to study than others?

We have a choice out of :

Donne - Looks boring...im not really into religous poets..
    Hardy - Boring
    Hopkins - Religous
    Yeats - Boring
    Eliot - Looks intresting but im unsure
    Bishop - Im doing
    Plath - Im doing
    Longley - I did last year so im doing again

Its a pity Longley was the only poet that I did last year...
    I really wanted to do Dickenson or Boland... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

I did the leaving in June - it sounds like you did too "...the only poet that I did last year". The choice of poets seems to have worsened. T.S. Eliot is really interesting I found, he was my "second" poet, Dickinson was my first as she came up. Eliot is quite difficult but ultimately rewarding I thought. Most questions are along justifying this too I think. Prufrock, Aunt Helen and A Game Of Chess are striking and memorable but aren't too easy to write about - something exemplified in East Coker if you study it. Anyhoo out o' the list I'd do Eliot, Plath, Bishop, Longley and Yeats. I don't really know much of Donne's or Hardy's work and I've heard Gerard Manley Hopkins is awful (I could be way off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Donne - Looks boring...im not really into religous poets..

Im doing him but his poems are really hard to understand.If i could i'd avoid him hes too complicated.All the rest you named are pretty easy and iv notes on all the poems that i'v done in detail.

What level are you doing btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Pitseleh - Thanks for the advice I think Eliot is definetly one to consider...I think if the poet is intresting it makes it easier to learn.

Barrie - Im going to try and avoid religious poets...
    Im doing higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I not sure what you mean by religios poets, from the only poem of Donnes I did the flea and it certainly didn't sound all that religious, my poor teacher nearly went on fire with embarrassement trying expain it to me being convinced I would not be able to understand what it was about :p . if that it religious :eek: ... well it's a new one on me!

I quite liked yeats. his language was really interesting, it was nice beacuse it was so easy to get once I understood the words. as for Eiliot I have hearfd he is hard but my teacher says she will be doing him with me instead of john.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

chickens wrote:
    I not sure what you mean by religios poets, from the only poem of Donnes I did the flea and it certainly didn't sound all that religious, my poor teacher nearly went on fire with embarrassement trying expain it to me being convinced I would not be able to understand what it was about :p . if that it religious :eek: ... well it's a new one on me!

Hopkins is pretty religious in his poetry tbh.

I like Donne, he would be on my personal 'top six poets' list. All his sort of sexual innuendo and all of that, mad stuff.

I don't like Longley at all or Plath for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

yeats isnt that bad his poetry is actually really interesting! plath and bishop are sooooo depressing!! but id say u kno dat!

d4gurl wrote:
    yeats isnt that bad his poetry is actually really interesting! plath and bishop are sooooo depressing!! but id say u kno dat!

Some of Bishop's was a bit on the depressing side, not as bad as Hopkins bloody 'dark sonnets' though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do Yeats and the two female poets anyway. There's a good chance that a female poet will come up every year. Something about not being sexist by not asking any questions on female poets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I have done;

Plath
    Bishop
    Longley
    Yeats

Finishing off Donne at the moment. Would'nt reccommend either Donne or Plath. The rest arent bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

i'm doing:
    longley
    plath
    bishop
    yeats
    & haven't decided on a 5th yet........ Plath is my favourite! :)

• Advertisement

my poor teacher nearly went on fire with embarrassement trying expain it to me being convinced I would not be able to understand what it was about :p . if that it religious :eek: ... well it's a new one on me!

He he ;) I understood that bit lol :D

plath is a nut job!! omg do u know her poem poppies in july? me and my friend pisd are selves lafin at dat poem!

Whoops, I'm doing

Bishop
    Yeats
    Longley *sigh*
    Plath
    Hopkins
    Elliot I think.

ive done Bishop Yeats longley Plath Elliot i dont kno who else ill be doin 3 more to do plus half of Eliot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Eliot
    Plath
    Hardy
    Hopkins
    Bishop

In that order for me. Don't particulary fancy the chances of Eliot coming up again, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Yeah thats a good idea to do both female poets because it is very likely that one will come up.

The fact that plath is a "nut job" would make it more intresting dont you think? Haha....

For some reason I prefer depressing poets.. :)

Iv done:

Micheal Longly
    Bishop
    Donne
    Yeats
    Plath

I think theres a few more but in total iv done 16 poems in detail and countless unseen poetry

Advertisement