Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL this weekend

• 08-09-2005 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

SERIES NO. 24

Waterford United v Finn Harps

Cork City v Bray Wanderers

Derry City v Longford Town

St. Patrick’s Athletic v Bohemians

Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne

U.C.D. v Drogheda United

Some big games this week, none bigger IMO than Waterford Vs Harps. This game will decide who is going down automatically. Waterfords bad runs seems to be going since the7th or 8th series of games, picking up no points what so ever. Hard to believe they actually topped the table briefly in the early going. I hope they can get the win, but I seriously doubt it. Harps to win 1-2. On a side note, talk is that if Waterford should get relegated, they will drop out of eL altogether, and go back to the MSL!

City Vs Bray should provide us with a few goals. Hopefully now that John O Flynn has scored after a few weeks, he will find his touch more easy again. I think City to win this 3-0. Live on TG4.

Derry Vs Longford. Tough game to call. These regularly end up 1-1, and I cant see that this will be any different. Derry know a draw on friday, and a Cork City win will probably end their ambitions. Longford are still in the running for ther inter toto spot, so thye certainly have it all to play for, especially as they are out of both cups.

Pats Vs Bohs
    will hardly be a cracker. Bohs need a win to get their Euro ideas back on track. Pats on the other hand have been in freefall lately, and are dangerously close to the bottom two. A win here will all but ease their worries though. Im going for Bohs to win 1-2.

Shams Vs Shels is always a great fixture, with plenty goals. I think this will be a draw. Both are playing well again. I'll go for 2-2.

UCD Vs Drogs. These tend to be hot affairs, and UCD have something of a hoodoo over Drogs since Doolin jumped ship from UCD in their relegation season. I think UCD will win this 1-0.

1st Division

Athlone Town v Sligo Rovers (Sligo)

Limerick v Galway United (Limerick)

Cobh Ramblers v Dundalk (Big 3 pointer this. DRAW)

Kilkenny City v Kildare County (Kilkenny)

Monaghan United v Dublin City (CHF :( )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Possibility the City Vs Bray game could be postponed due to weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    Pats Vs Bohs[/B] will hardly be a cracker. Bohs need a win to get their Euro ideas back on track. Pats on the other hand have been in freefall lately, and are dangerously close to the bottom two. A win here will all but ease their worries though. Im going for Bohs to win 1-2.

History suggests otherwise it will be one of 2 things, 0-0 or more than 4 goals in the game.

Cant see us winning , we need 9 points to ensure we not in the fight and none of them coming from tonight.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My Predictions

Waterford United v Finn Harps (1-1)

Cork City v Bray Wanderers (4-0)

Derry City v Longford Town (2-0)

St. Patrick’s Athletic v Bohemians (1-1)

Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne (0-1 and sweet revenge)

U.C.D. v Drogheda United (1-3)

Hopefully I'll get out to Dalymount, the weathers been horrible so far today so I'm not going to expect a mighty spectacle, but hopefully we'll get a poxy penalty or something to piss off the Rovers muppets who tried to confront us in Tolka earlier this season. We're "missing" Stewie Byrne but we've plenty of strength in depth in that position so I'm not expecting to lose any midfield duels if Reynolds starts.

Anyone played Rovers post-deadline day? How are they doing performance-wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Rovers have 15 points from their last 18, if I'm not mistaken. They are pretty much on fire at the moment and will make things difficult for Shels. But they aren't a great team, their players are fairly average, and they've been punching well above their weight recently. I think that Shels will win, but it will be tight. Shels are 2.4 on betfair at the moment, which is better than 11/8. :eek:

The Bohs - Pat's match will be a complete non-event, I'm not looking forward to it in any way. Pat's have injury worries at centre back though, so I think we might win it. Predicting a Bohs win is a bit foolish these days though, so I think a 1-1 is a likely outcome. I don't think the two teams have it in them to score 3 between them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i reckon Longford could do Cork City a favour up in the brandywell, i really hopw so. 0-1

Reckon City will overcome Bray, not by much, 1-0.

fancy a rovers shels draw (1-1)

Bohs 3 Pats 0
    UCD 0 Drogheda 0

and waterford 2 Harps 0

============
    Horrible weather here in the peoples republic for tonights game, rain will keep a lot of fans away and with the tv cameras down thats not good. Cant imagine bray coming down to play any sort of attacking football whatsoever, and city normally get frustrated when teams put ten men down behind the ball.. and with zayed gone they've lost their most attacking outlet..

I'm predicting a dour, boring lifeless 90 minutes, but as long as we pick up all three points i wont really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Yeah its a bisix pointer for dundalk and cobh , who ever wins the match have a sersious chance at the playoff spot cant see cobh beating us to be honest we are playing great "ground" football lately and plus the team is on a high after wining 4 nill against limerick big game for dundalk and hopefully results go our way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I cant see shels beating shamrock rovers. I pray for a victory but a draw would be a good result.

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Watching the Cork game on TG4, commentary and analysis is actually reasonable. Anyone notice the theme music for Sacar Beo being a Kraftwerk rip-off? Anyway, City 2-0 up against Bray as of the start of the second half. Decent enough game with City playing some very good football. Cork have just a bit too much class for this Bray outfit.

Meehan just missed a glorious chance, doh. Chance for Georgescu of Bray too! Maybe they're not out of it yet! If Bray get anything, it'll be instigated by that lad.

Derry 2-nil up against Longford, bah. Waterford 2-1 up against Harps, looks like they're going down.

Anyone notice the theme music for Sacar Beo being a Kraftwerk rip-off?

My little brother reliably informs me it was Coldplay. Now that I think of it they had some connection with Kraftwerk on the album, either a cover or collaboration or something.

Good wins for Shels, Derry and Cork. Last minute win for Bohs and 4 goals shared at both the RSC and Belfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Could so easily have been 6 for City. Really dominated for the whole game. Great to see Flynny score a mad poachers goal. The Bray keeper looked so pissed off after it. He (Bray Keeper) played a fine game thereafter. City played with great composusre and professionalism, and on tonights performance, will be hard for anyone to overtake.

On a side note, I wish Damien Richardson all the best. He was taken in to hospital today and will not be able to travel to Prague for Citys game on Thursday. I just hope to Jesus, this is only a precautionry measure. Just a pity some 'fans' see this as an oppurtunity for D***n to take charge again. Small minded f**kwits.

All the best Rico!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Good luck Rico alright, I hope he's fine.

Shels completley dominated the match today. Played some great football especially when Ndo came on. It is a farce he is even considered anything other than first name on the team sheet, but even Fenlon will find it hard to justify dropping him now. Destroyed Rovers when he came on, and got a fantastic individual goal. Some of the things he did were jaw dropping. Shels played football and when we do that we're a very good side, slowly getting better and better recently too. I'm confident of second place now, which will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I echo what Slash/ED said about Shels tonight. It was a joy to watch and Joey Ndo's goal has to be one of the goals of the season.

Oh shock horror! Rovers ''fans'' were at it again for the 15,792nd time. This time about 100-150 of them waited outside the ground for us Shels to come out and charged towards us hurling glass bottles and rocks at us. Security was non existent, only a few police at the match and thank god that steward shut the barriers before they ran to us or there would have been many fans badly hurt. Looking forward to Rovers ''nothing happened'' statements and replies about it. When will the FAI ever see sense and punish this club once and for all becasue it's gonna take someone to be seriously hurt or killed before anything is done about them.

Let them come to oriel park and act that way ;)
    nah all joking aside its a disgrace and its a small number that cause the trouble and its the reason why they go to the match , if rovers ever get their ground in tallagh its not a trip ill be enjoying making , i expect to see a welcome to hell sign outside it :D , FAI should punish the club badly to stop this trouble reacurring everytime rovers play anyone

I'm sure i speak for the majority of eL fans on here, if not all, in wishing Damo a full and speedy recovery.. The post match interviews just wont be the same...

City played very well last night, some superb passing movements and tireless running from our wingers and full backs.. our left full danny murphy got man of the match, fair play to him he deserves it, superb all season and i think Rico is really getting the best out of him.. He's really loving it here in Cork, and has admitted on more than one occasion that playing for City is by far better than playing for QPR..

Bring on prague..

The perfect preparation for Prague, pity Rico won't be able to travel.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're all behind ye lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Wish Rico all the best.

City were excellent and played to a high tempo in the 1st half and kept the ball well. Danny murphy deserved MOTM for his blocks. Fair play to Bray for having a go.

Crowd was in good spirits too despite the rain.

John O'Flynn looked excellent as well.

Missing the Prague match is annoying, but ill watch it on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Fantastic result for Shels last night and we played brilliantly. I hope we can continue to push for second spot, it would be an excellent result for us. I seen CCFC last night and they look unstopable. I think they have every chance of getting a good result against Slavia. Even beating them over two legs. They look far stronger than us last season around this time of year, none of the pressure on them like there was on us.

Did anybody see Ndo's goal on TV3 last night.

Class, it was almost slow motion. :)

Its a pity he was shooting into that end cause all the Shels fans were packed down the other side.

Its a pity he was shooting into that end cause all the Shels fans were packed down the other side.

yeah, all ten of them were under the same umbrella! arf arf arf...

*Sorry shels fans just couldnt resist*

Heard about Ndos goal alright, will have to catch it monday night on el weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Did anybody see Ndo's goal on TV3 last night.

Class, it was almost slow motion. :)

He was in incredible form all night, he was getting the ball with literally 3 people all closing in on him and beating them all. He is some player, the reception he got at the end of the game was something else too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Aidan O Keefe rounded Ryan controlling the ball with his arm to get a 90th minute winner against his old club. Sweet.

Match was about as dull as expected but good performances by Rice and Mark O Brien were encouraging as theyve been muck all season

dundalk 1 cobh 1

we threw it away cobh scored in the 87th minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Oh shock horror! Rovers ''fans'' were at it again for the 15,792nd time. This time about 100-150 of them waited outside the ground for us Shels to come out and charged towards us hurling glass bottles and rocks at us. Security was non existent, only a few police at the match and thank god that steward shut the barriers before they ran to us or there would have been many fans badly hurt. Looking forward to Rovers ''nothing happened'' statements and replies about it. When will the FAI ever see sense and punish this club once and for all becasue it's gonna take someone to be seriously hurt or killed before anything is done about them.

Apprently Rovers have banned 6 people who they know were involved. More bans are likely to follow, I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bohsman wrote:
    Aidan O Keefe rounded Ryan controlling the ball with his arm to get a 90th minute winner against his old club. Sweet.

Match was about as dull as expected but good performances by Rice and Mark O Brien were encouraging as theyve been muck all season

Heh another Pats reject, have a nice collection in Dalyer now :D

Good game we played well just couldnt score, when O Keefe latched onto the ball and after us missing chance after chance it was inevitable he would score.

Larson looks a decent player just need to get our defence back to full strength and we be fine, Bohs looked **** and had a strong team out.

kdjac

time to bump this up

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 15
    Dundalk -v- Monaghan Utd 7.45

So dundalk are at home agin on teh back of a 1-1 draw away in cobh , and a 4-0 thrashing of limerick , confidence must be high for this match and the boy like the oriel park surface from talking to them and they play proper football on it no long ball shíté , so home win is a must for any chance of promotion and thats what it will be and the fans expect noting else !

Right lads just back from oriel park and one word can describe the match and its Shíté Dundalk were terrible and second to every ball , monaghan played brilliant in regards they were not puling out on any challenges , first to every ball and stirring the dundalk players up this is what 1st divison footbal is about , been hard. Its a amazing league in respect that every team is capable of beating the other and its confusing at times as you know i had dundalk on a bet and NEVER can i back them again they were terrible . The referee (female) lost control of the match and was very happy giving out cards left right and center in both sides , she was happy to hear the sound of her whistle and never let the game run for long periods , not often i come back from a match and disgusted at what i seen but tonight took the biscuit.Promotion is out the window and thankfully because i would hate to go up with that team , again Ger Mccarty is playing great football and the only one doing the work

final score
    Dundalk 2 - 2 monaghan

from a pissed off sarge

Thats a kick in the bollix for dundalk's promotion bid.

Kilkenny look like the team that could nick 2nd just like Limerick did 2 years ago.

reprt for the dundalk match can be seen here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    My little brother reliably informs me it was Coldplay. Now that I think of it they had some connection with Kraftwerk on the album, either a cover or collaboration or something.

Coldplay got permission from Kwaftwerk to use the melody.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Good wins for Shels, Derry and Cork.

Agree except for the cork result, european hangover draw.. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement