Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction project.What are you making?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

I have my folio done or the best parts of it(im only editing a few things) :) .We had to do it over the summer but no-one did barr me and 3 other people.Im building a fire place and starting it next week.So i get a great boost time wise :D .

So did anyone else start there project because i know of other classes who dont start it till after xmas.Also what are you making or planning to make?

Past lc' students:What did you make and did you get it finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well were supposed to do our folder over the summer but nobody duid cause nobody was too sure what they were makin.

We have all decided now but our teacher is out for 6weeks now cause shes gettin an operation so were startin as soon as she gets back.

Im basically planning on making a model of the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Cool a few people are doing a roof in my class.Yeh most of the class havent anything done because they arent bothered or dont know what to do.Did you get the project selection handout?I find it dead handy for my folio and it helped.Did you start your folio yet?

Its a pity about your teacher since its a important year.Will you be getting a stand in?

Edit:Not meaning to be sexist or anything but is you construction teacher female?The only reason im asking is because iv never seen one in my life :eek: That's mad like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

When I did my project, I made a model of a timber-framed house Well a kind of cross section of a house Had the timber frame, the insulation, the damp proofing, cross section of the block work Didn't do much of it in school None of our class trusted our teacher He used to screw up little 1st year project so none of us would let him near ours. Did it in 2 days at home after Technically shouldn't have done itr that way but who cares since I actually did it myself

That was good making it in two days at home :eek:

Barrie wrote:
    That was good making it in two days at home :eek:

Kind of cheated again there Borrowed a chopsaw and a pining gun off a carpenter I worked for for the 2 days. Once I had the plans of the house The cutting was puick when I had the chopsaw Then glue and pin everything together Easy! :D

• Advertisement

Easy as pie :D What did your teacher say about that?

Barrie wrote:
    Easy as pie :D What did your teacher say about that?

Not a thing. I used to mess away with a few pieces in class but cutting timber 6mm x 4mm with a handsaw wasn't the most acurate so I only used them to look like I was doing something Cut the pieces I used ont he project with the chopsaw cause it was way more acurate

Clever allright,But imagine me lifting a full scale firplace into school :D

I know a fella that made a fireplace. He got this picturfe of a really rusted old cast iron fire place for his brief Then got a second one that was identical but in way better condition Made a surround for the better one Project done!! Saying that his father used to deal in antiques so he had no problem getting hold of the old cast iron fireplaces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I did construction last year (got A2), but am repeating. Just finished my project, a massive coffee table, in time except for slotting the glass in. The majority of our class however kept going well into May. Our teachers, oh... we only had two theory classes for the whole of sixth year...

My advice - lay into the project now and get it done good and early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Barrie wrote:
    Not meaning to be sexist or anything but is you construction teacher female?The only reason im asking is because iv never seen one in my life :eek: That's mad like :D

Ohh yeah theres two permanent ones in our school and while our teacher is out now our sub is also a woman!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I have no idea yet what I am doing :( , So meny things I have not taught about eg Con.St project & who to take to the debs? :eek:

But my Tech Drawing teacher said to me that he will help me out but I only see him once a week(do it outside school) and if I dont like it I will have to wait another week. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I was just wondering how everyone is getting on with their projects. I don't know what I'm doing yet. Have you all started yours.

Yep i have the jambs done and have raised up a block.Its going alot slower than i thought.

You should really have a good idea what you are doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Ya I have a good idea now about what im doing, i just need to order my wood and be ready to start after the break. We have alot of the theory covered but my class is fairly big 22 or 23 so I dont think anyone will be doing anything to big and the classroom isn't that big either.

Well im down in a basment with 4 other people so it isnt that hard.Id really want to put in more after school work to get it finished:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Im thinking of making a sun chair made out of teak, but I have no need for it but my Tech Drawing teacher gave me a cutting list for it and plans how to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭mickomack

I did construction studies last year for my leaving and I know a couple of construction teachers who mark the projects quite well.Remember there is only a small percentage of the marks going for the practical element of the project itself.Pick something that you can easily research because 60% of the marks go for investigation and research.There is no need to do something complicated.Marks are not proportional to the sophistication of the design nor the size of the project.Making a model of a window,roof or door detail would be a good idea as it is easy to construct and research.Theory is the most important aspect of the construction course.

If any needs any help with construction theory just send me a pm or post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Im doing a 1:4 scale model of a timber stud partition wall - insulated and slabbed with a doorframe, skirting and architrave. Also gonna have detail of timber joists runing underneath. i got all the timber at home i just gotta figure how to get it into school.

folio seems to be the problem, motivation levels are non existent with me.

Advertisement