Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student card! Where to use it?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey every1 i just got my student card today, anyone have ideas on where i can put it to use, discounts etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Most big shops do( HMV, Virgin, Envy etc.) and different cafes and stuuuuf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The travel system I think, the cinema, O'Briens sandwich bar to name a few.

Just ask everywhere if there's a student discount available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I think topshop and oaisis do. Did they not give you a little book listing all the places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I got to sort myself out with one of those. Hear they can be pretty useful.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Cheaper tickets on the trains around Ireland, student rate monthly Dart/bus tickets (really handy!), discounts in most cinemas, discounts in HMV, Oasis, Dorothy Perkins, Topshop, O'Briens, I know there's probably loads more but that's what I use my card for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

I got me an ID card as part of starting a course in BCFE. Is this the same as a student card or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

yeh i need one too!did u get a usit?or wat?were do u thnk i shud get one?i hav a school card with my foto id would dat qualify?

d4gurl wrote:
    yeh i need one too!did u get a usit?or wat?were do u thnk i shud get one?i hav a school card with my id would dat qualify?

Go to the bus place on O'Connell Street and pick up a form, you need your principles signature on it and two passport photos, ah the instructions are all on the form thing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

cheers!ur quite the anwser person!lol!

d4gurl wrote:
    cheers!ur quite the anwser person!lol!

I aim to please...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭The Failed God

Anyone know if the usit card has vouchers for tux hire i rember last year they had 50e off a rental from black tie??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

grimloch wrote:
    Go to the bus place on O'Connell Street and pick up a form, you need your principles signature on it and two passport photos, ah the instructions are all on the form thing anyway.

That's for the CIE card. it'll get you the travel discounts and 10% off at HMV, and a few other places, but it's useless outside Ireland. The USIT's got lots more discounts, and i think it's more widely accepted, especially for travel and stuff.

sdonn_1 wrote:
    That's for the CIE card. it'll get you the travel discounts and 10% off at HMV, and a few other places, but it's useless outside Ireland. The USIT's got lots more discounts, and i think it's more widely accepted, especially for travel and stuff.

Where do you go about getting one of those?

I think I know but I most likely have it mixed up with something else.

EDIT: Oh that's the yoke you get, oddly enough, from those USIT offices. Silly me.

Yes you do indeed pick it up from the USIT office (Aston Qy if you're in Dublin, theyve offices in the other cities as well I think) :D

Or your school might have some... :D

Now that i think of it, Shaggy1103, which one do you have, the discounts are different, depending...

Yeah I know there are different cards. I was thinking of getting an international student identity card off of usit.

Which is the best to get or are they all pretty much the same?

CrimE wrote:
    Yeah I know there are different cards. I was thinking of getting an international student identity card off of usit.

Apparently more discounts and so forth are available from the USIT one.

CrimE wrote:

Well like I said, (and I've had both, got the CIE on e a few months ago and the USIT's out o date but i'll be replacing it), the CIE one will get you all the fares discounts on dart/bus/train (bloody thing almost paid for itself on ONE train journey) :D .

Th USIT has discounts in a lot more places, and even though they're only 5 or 10 %, they add up. You can get a usit diary that lists them all, if i find it i'll post a few up here...

Oh yeah, for 3rd level people (used to, anyway) get them half price newspapers...
    ...thought i'd throw that in... :rolleyes:

So get both then?

If you want. Mind you I never had both of mine valid at the same time (I forgot to mention the USIT's out of date since 2002 :o ) :D

• Advertisement

I dont too much travelling on trains etc or that much on cie so I reckon im gonna get the usit one. Would be more uselful for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Just to refer back to my question, does my card aquired from BCFE entitle me to any sort of discount?

acri wrote:
    Just to refer back to my question, does my card aquired from BCFE entitle me to any sort of discount?
    Call me thick, but what's the BCFE? Assuming it's a college, if the card is just college ID then that mite be all it's good for. What sort of card is it?

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Call me thick, but what's the BCFE? Assuming it's a college, if the card is just college ID then that mite be all it's good for. What sort of card is it?

I think it's a French thing of some sorts.

I don't think it entitles you to discount but I'm hardly anywhere near sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I have an ISIC, saved me loads in bus fares. After that I'm not too sure what it's of any use for, I haven't used it since and it's expired some time december.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

The best place to use a student card is the cinema. Usually you get a few euros off. i.e. 6E instead of 8E in the Ormonde.

Advertisement