Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary about Tetris on TV tonight

Options
  • 08-09-2005 7:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭

BBC2 23.20

Should be interesting. The game has a lot of history and troubles. It sold millions of Gameboys but it's creator hardly saw a penny from it and loads of licensing disagreements. It was also one of the games that was taken off the market when Tecmo and Codemasters started releasing games for the NES that bypassed Nintendos cartridge security measures meaning that nintendo would get nothing from their sales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

i'm keep a eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

was just about to post about this!
    Cheers Retro.
    More info here http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/tetris.shtml
    The beeb is quality for these kind of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I seen it a couple of months back on BBC 4. They had a whole night of video game related documentaries... and this one was by far the best one.

It's very well made.

I just hope they don't show the other documentary again that was all about how evil Nintendo are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

11.50 on BBC2 Northern Ireland according to the Sky EPG
    Digiguide says the same

DOCUMENTARY: Tetris: From Russia with Love
    Channel: BBC 2 Northern Ireland (Digital)
    Date: Thursday 8th September 2005
    Time: 23:50 to 00:50 (starting in 1 hour and 32 minutes)
    Duration: 1 hour.
    The story of how a simple computer game developed by a programmer at Moscow's Academy of Science prompted a global battle for financial rights with billions of dollars at stake.
    (Widescreen, Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=53031
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

BBC2 in England, Wales and Scotland are however showing it at 11.20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Thanks for posting this Retrogamer, i missed it last time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I saw this on Discovery a while back. It was pretty good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I made a few mistakes, it was tengen not tecmo.

I do think that the Tengen tetris for the nes was on sale for less than a week, I got this information from the EGM top 100 from years back when they were the best magazine going.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So I made a few mistakes, it was tengen not tecmo.
    Yes... if Tecmo made Tetris the L-shaped block would have a big pair of breasts and you could choose different bikinis to put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

That sounds great. I have a bit of a fascination with the history of computer games.

I hope they show it again some time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Very interesting documentry, I'm glad I caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

simu wrote:
    That sounds great. I have a bit of a fascination with the history of computer games.

The I recommend to you "The Ultimate History of Videogames"

0761536434.02.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

Absolutely essential reading, way-way-way before Joystick Nation and same such...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Tengen had a version for the Mega Drive in the works too. A few copies of it seemed to have gotten onto the market and would go for silly money if they ever turned up on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I have that book. It's excellent if you're interested in that stuff.

Advertisement