Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should i get IPod or something else?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

OK so id like a device like IPod, coz my brother has hundreds of songs on ITunes on our computer both his and mine, and id like to put them on some portable device that i can listen 2 also. But what should i get?

I dont have much money so i dont know if i should get IPod the battery life is supposed to be ****e anyway. If i get Creative Zen thing then can i still easily get all the songs off ITunes onto it? Whats the best solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

I myself have got the 20Gb Creative Zen Touch - I got it last December for 279.99 which I think was 60, maybe 70 euro cheaper, nay "more economically viable" than the iPod with equivalent memory - one pays for the name. It gets my seal of approval - holds a sickening amount of songs, a tres long battery life and 'tis ridiculously easy to upload tracks onto it. More miraculously it still works despite dropping it numerous times, once on concrete.
    I've no idea how it works with iTunes though - sorry. Furthermore, I remember hearing somewhere that copy-protected CDs can't be converted into mp3 files to be put on the iPod - I'm not sure if this is correct though but 'twould be a problem I'm sure with more and more record companies wishing to fight piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coreilly1

yeah thats the thing about Ipod,theyre mad into keeping the whole piracy thing down so its quite tricky if you wanna go onto your mates PC with the ipod and he doesnt have i tunes.I have an archos and its as easy as dragging and dropping music files onto it.it takes WMA or MP3 and will take copy protected tracks once you buy them from the legit sites(99c a track or so I think).Theres so much hype about the ipod that people just go out and buy one without researching the competition.For conveniece sake,I would deffo consider something outside Ipod world,not everyone is gonna have i tunes on their comp,plus even if you have i tunes you could still drag your tracks from your hard drive onto your non-ipod.They are a pretty little gadget though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭xxxxx

OK cool but kind of confusing posts.

If i get Creative Zen 20GB, how easy can i get all the ITunes stuff onto it? That's my main concern, i just want to get everything in ITunes onto whatever device i get.

Thank you for replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

all the stuff listed in iTunes will be in a folder somewhere on the pc as mp3/mp4/whatever type files. iTunes is only needed for the ipod. i dont know what other programs use

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm getting myself a 30GB I-Audio X-5 with extended battery life. They retail at 429-ish euros but I'm getting it at cost price cos I sell the feckers :)

iPod is over-rated.

Although... the new iPod Nano looks nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

When you get a Creative player you install the programs that come with it (Mediasource) and you use this to put the tracks on the player. iTunes is irrelevant it's just a program for playing music on your pc just like Winamp, WMP etc.

Mediasource is a steaming pile of crap though. Very buggy software. I'd advise you, if you do go for a Creative player, to get Notmad Explorer from redchair, www.redchairsoftware.com . It's not free, but it's well worth it.

Alternatively go for a more expensive player like an iriver which allows you to drag and drop the files onto the player without the need for additional software.

OK thank you so ITunes is irrelevent does that mean Creative Zen can get all of the songs that are in ITunes, onto the Creative Zen easily?

Bard wrote:
    iPod is over-rated

how so?
    i bought mine to play mp3's and it does exactly what it says on the tin

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

iPod's are awful, for battery life and sound quality in comparison to many alternatives.

i have an iRiver and i love her to pie-ces...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd definetly go for the Creative Zen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have an ipod. Not worth the money!

Keep your €500 for something decent. You really don't need one...

xxxxx wrote:
    OK thank you so ITunes is irrelevent does that mean Creative Zen can get all of the songs that are in ITunes, onto the Creative Zen easily?

Yeah using the creative software, Mediasource. iTunes is only being used to play the mp3s, there is a folder on your pc somewhere that has the mp3s in it. Just go to that folder and drag and drop the files into Mediasource to transfer them to the Zen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

get an iriver

fm radio and works as a dictophone aswell also no software required just plug it in and throw stuff on or off

also the remote control bit is rather delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

creative zen seems to be the best one on the market, or an iRiver. ipod is now too cool to be cool..

i personally couldn't be arsed having that many songs so i just got a 1gig mem duo card for my psp and i'm set :D

Makaveli wrote:
    Yeah using the creative software, Mediasource. iTunes is only being used to play the mp3s, there is a folder on your pc somewhere that has the mp3s in it. Just go to that folder and drag and drop the files into Mediasource to transfer them to the Zen.
    OK thx Makaveli i thought they used m3u but w/e.

m3u are playlist files.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Choose an archos. Mine is brilliant. Simple drag and drop, no need for ANY software. Easy as fúck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

i have a sony nw-hd and its a beauty. only thing is the software, which is sonic stage, sucks

Makaveli wrote:
    m3u are playlist files.
    OK but does that mean i CANT get them onto Creative Zen? Coz Zen only takes mp3s and these are m3us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

i pods are stylish , but if your a true music fan. get one with a recorder... and lots of space, to easily share, and inter swap music, (legaly of course!)
    i don't have time for downloads... too slow on me (uncultured0 dial up. so i use cd's and forget about the online stuff!

its really depends on your taste, do you want it for music playing, or Music everyting?

• Advertisement

xxxxx wrote:
    OK but does that mean i CANT get them onto Creative Zen? Coz Zen only takes mp3s and these are m3us?

Playlists can go on Zens but the files you are playing arent .m3u. An m3u as I said is a playlist file, the files linked in the playlist are the songs. I think you may be using .m4a files. Which means iTunes was used to rip the cds and no they wont work on a Zen or any player bar an iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Makaveli wrote:
    they wont work on a Zen or any player bar an iPod.
    Not necessarily true. Some recent players do support AAC and AAC+. Not sure about the zen though. m4a's are AAC format. Check the creative website to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

For a Creative Zen Micro, do the songs have to be saved onto Pc as well as player like the iPod?

No.
    You can stick them on the Zen and then delete them from the pc.

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    For a Creative Zen Micro, do the songs have to be saved onto Pc as well as player like the iPod?

wtf?
    once on your ipod you can delete the songs from the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Get an iRiver!
    I promise you, you won't ever look back.

I'm too lazy to type out a load of pimpage at the moment, but check out this and this
    (I might get back to this later aswell)

I have the H340 and I honestly don't know how I ever lived without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There is another player iAudio that i was looking at. Go to advancedmp3players.co.uk.

Also you have the option in iTunes to rip a cd into mp3 format.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

iRiver or iAudio are your best bets. iAudio X5 is the best MP3 player out at the moment although the iRiver H-140 with rockbox is just flawless with regards to actual MP3 playing, it's probably the best one at the moment. When the H3XX has rockbox that will be the best. But I think iAudio are getting rockbox too.

rockbox - rockbox.org :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Yeah, iAudio are also excellent.

Just forget about iPods, they're a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coreilly1

Also you have the option in iTunes to rip a cd into mp3 format.

You can do that Windows Media Player aswell.

If you have an ipod you're restricted to using iTunes to load your music onto,Whereas most other players you can just use a drag and drop system on any Compute plus they also double up as an external harddrive for holding files

Advertisement