Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt broadband periodically not working

• 08-09-2005 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

We subscribed to bt braodband a few weeks ago but the internet stops working for a few minutes at various points of the day.sometimes crashing during a session and other times not connecting for a while.(the modem and PC are left on all the time).
    We have contacted Bt who have told us a load of reasons why it wasn't working all of which were lies.Including telling us we must have windows 98 and we need windows 98se or later and blaming it on us, only for us to discover we do have the second edition.
    anyway they sent out a new modem in the end but i suspect the reason might be that bt is oversubscribed on its network as the internet seems to stop working at times which i would consider to be busy times for the internet such as lunch time and just after 6.It doesn't make sense for a modem to start and stop working like that with no interference with it.
    Does anyone else have these problems with BT not working at certain times of the day? This isn't the sort of thing that BT would readily admit to.
    Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mine's usually grand. If it's only for a few minutes it shouldn't really be a problem. And in fact, I wouldn't use Windows 98 on the internet, period.

Have you scanned for and viruses or spyware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah win 98 on broadband is asking for it, for me anyway the bb has being up 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

BT hasnt been down for me in a couple of months.

When it did go down it was for 1hour at 07:00 and that was it.

I guess the problem is at your end....especially since you are using such an old Operating System!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my router does get disconnected for a few seconds almost daily, but it's not too much of an issue as it auto-reconnects. hardly notice tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

vibe666 wrote:
    my router does get disconnected for a few seconds almost daily, but it's not too much of an issue as it auto-reconnects. hardly notice tbh.

Yeah the same happens to me...normially at around 22:00!

Its stays online but its just that the router to computer connection goes down for a second and I get the Network Disconnect popup.
    Slightly annoying but everything still works....odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mine's that the router and pc are still connected, but i get logged off the net and then the time it takes for the router to re-connect.

it's a WRT54G DSL Router, so it does all the auth. etc. but i had the same problem when i just had the modem connected straight to my pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daraghburns

Hi thanks for the advice but after getting onto to BT around 5 more times we seem to have sorted the problem out.
    It seems it definetly wasn't an operating system problem with the PC as BT had told us a few times.When we tried it out with a brand new laptop with XP it worked perfectly when connected through the earthnet connection but when using the USB connection(which we have to do with the PC) the same problems arose.
    They talked us through a reset command sequence for the modem and everything has been working fine ever since.
    I do feel though if lots of people do have problems connecting to broadband with windows 98se, which they must since that was what BT iniatially said was the problem then the service shouldn't be advertised as been Windows 98se compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

my router likes to cut off for a few seconds a day at 1am lol

Advertisement