Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server upgrade discussion...

Options
  • 08-09-2005 9:32pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recent performance and near future upgrades! (Thanks for bonking)!!
    --

Most of you probably didnt notice but a few nights ago our (nearly) brand new server, the one we bought recently, went spang and has had to be sent back to be repaired. Hosting365, god bless their preparedness, have loaned us a server which Regi has restored in record time. We owe them a debt of thanks for the loan!

Luckily the admins had one of our occasional real life meetings and we took some decisions regarding hardware.

Let me explain the current situation and then what we want to do. We currently have one big fat server called (pork)pie.boards.ie which ran the main website before it b0rked.
    This usually talks to a smaller database server (the web server needs the power) called "wang" and remaining members stuff and other bits and pieces are on "muppet".

What we are going to do now is to move that big server (pie) to the database end, retiring the two smaller servers (muppet and wang).
    In their place will be put an n-server load-balanced infrastructure. We're going to start with 2 (brand new) monster servers but we expect to be expanding this roughly every 6 months.

This will clean out our coffers almost completely. Its just as well we put up the Sex & Sexuality forum (even if it is a bit.... saucy, at times!) as the number of subscriptions it generated helped a great deal financially!

Finally if you like Boards.ie and want to see the service continue (not to mention all the neat stuff you get for subscribing!) then please consider subscribing to boards today.

Thanks for reading, here's to a stable and speedy future.

DeV and the Admins.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

as a subscriber im glad im contributing to the develpment of boards and dev if needs be you can always pm me and ill donate a few more quid to the fund if needs be.
    no joke now.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm, I better get around to this while I have the cash and gotten one of those 3V pseudo-creditcards to actually validate my sorely underused paypal account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I so miss the New Posts feature, sniff! :(

Mike.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I was afraid to ask in mIRC after watching one or two people get roasted under the textual stare of Ecksor in #Boards.ie, but is there ANY other possible way of donating / subscribing?

I don't have any means of sbscribing through a credit card, and PayPal really doesn't like me.

Even if someone were to accept a hefty donation in person (Preferably when sober so that said contribution could be remembered) I'd do it no problem - I already owe the site quite a handy sum of dosh - but I doubt anyone will accept it that way.
    Been here with Boards for ages now, and I'd have absolutely no problem chucking some money towards the cause, if I had a way to do so.

Other than that, best of luck with the changeover (Any chance of a 'mass mark forum read' option? Hate having to do it individually, due to utter laziness :D )

Keep up the great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Thank you kindly, Mord!
    I shalt see to it, after this weekend at least, that I work on upcoming donation :D

Also, in regards to the mass mark forum read list option, I retract that statement on the basis that I am a complete nublet, who just found the option after a two second scan of the Quick Links menu.

I'll hit myself with the n00b stick, now.

*KNOB*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Sell the old servers to us? Id buy at least one of not both of them TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

This post has been deleted.
    Leasing is usually best for a newish business because you avoid tying up working capital, limiting your likelihood of going bust. However boards isn't like a normal business. It has tiny outgoings and income and its strategy seems to be to attract more and more users without risking any investment cash. Slowly but surely it is building up its goodwill value which the owners presumably hope they will one day convert into their pensions.

With this long term view, buying equipment makes more sense than leasing.

The best part of the business model is the bit where you get an army of subeditors to work, not for cash, but for a small measure of authorita.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Said it before, here it is again:

Do what you have never done before (why not?) and encourage people to subscribe! Even with a depressingly low-low uptake of <1% of members, it will still net a healthy €20000

I for one am a happy subscriber :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

RopeDrink wrote:
    I was afraid to ask in mIRC after watching one or two people get roasted under the textual stare of Ecksor in #Boards.ie, but is there ANY other possible way of donating / subscribing?
    I subbed with a bank transfer. Got the deatils from ecxsor at the time (he was in a good mood ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

been meaning to subscribe for a long time, but procrastinated as you do.

Anyway, hope the funds help the new server stay up and running happily.

yeah any old servers that are for sale id purchase off boards and the money can go towards the new servers

just an idea
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Ill subscribe when I get the money, and when I'm able to, Credit Card and PayPal and all that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm quite sure there is more you could do to encourage suscribers DeV

time for the 'Legal' Highs board I reckon, set it up the same as the S&S forum, bet it gets loads to suscribe!
    I'll quite happily Mod it for you with the Scchhtick from Hell flaming by my side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I just donated through paypal, I love this service and am happy to pay to make it faster and more reliabale.
    As regards the subscription thing. I can't find where to subscribe, maybe thats a common problem (Or I'm an idiot and it's right in front of me)?

[edit] I actually am an idiot :psubscribe here [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I hope ye are ordering dual core opterons! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Sparky_S wrote:
    yeah any old servers that are for sale id purchase off boards and the money can go towards the new servers

just an idea
    :)

Hey their mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Been meaning to get a subscription for quite a while now, so no time like the present. Good luck with the upgrade guys.

Hey their mine!
    i want for my forum :)

• Advertisement

Sparky_S wrote:
    i want for my forum :)
    Hosted for free by getphpbb.com - free phpbb forum hosting provider. Powered by multiple DUAL OPTERON, 4GB RAM, SCSI RAID 1 dedicated servers. All our dedicated servers are running on premium bandwidth located at top notch data center.

I'd stick with your free forum tbh ;)

...or boards.ie ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Is there any way you can leverage off the For Sale fora? Maybe a 1% levy on the vendor for hosting the service ? I understand that the methods of transaction are varied, could it be simplified?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

might I suggest a wikimedia style fundraiser?
    I'm not sure if the admins are against fundraising and would rather just see people subscribe, but even if you weren't a budget and donations list could certainly help.
    I know a lot of people (and I include myself in that grand sweep) don't know what kind of money is spent per annum on maintaining boards.ie and with regular upgrades on the way that means it's going to get more expensive.
    Granted Wikimedia is the website and the traffic and upkeep there is blindingly expensive, but as boards.ie is much smaller it is also much cheaper by comparison.

CuLT wrote:
    I'd stick with your free forum tbh ;)

...or boards.ie ¬_¬

im in a process of building my own forum on my own server, i just have an issue of a bloddy dynamic IP

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

DeVore wrote:
    This will clean out our coffers almost completely. Its just as well we put up the Sex & Sexuality forum (even if it is a bit.... saucy, at times!) as the number of subscriptions it generated helped a great deal financially!

As the saying goes - Sex Sells!

Sparky_S wrote:
    im in a process of building my own forum on my own server, i just have an issue of a bloddy dynamic IP
    You have a dynamic IP on a large pipe?

Or if you mean you're going to host one on adsl or something don't bother; even one person browsing the forum would have a painfully slow run of it :)

CuLT wrote:
    You have a dynamic IP on a large pipe?

Or if you mean you're going to host one on adsl or something don't bother; even one person browsing the forum would have a painfully slow run of it :)

yeah i know, its just for my own self experience, it will never compare to the free forum tho :D

Sparky_S wrote:
    yeah i know, its just for my own self experience, it will never compare to the free forum tho :D
    upgrade to a l33t phat pipe <_<

(get IBB synchronous 4MB ;D )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

how about another SSF fund raiser....but then stiff all the children and keep the money.....

i'm joking....seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The whole amp / pam fundraiser must made quite a bit of money. How about ecksor , cloud changed their name to something based upon peoples suggestions culminating in a poll. That should easily rake in some cash.

Advertisement