Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McFly covering My Generation with The Who! WTF?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on this?

My Generation is probably my favourite song of all time and to have these Westlife with guitars muppets destroying one of the great classic anthems of rock music with the backing of The Who themselves I find very sad. Apparently Dlatrey and Townshend are fans of McFly..... what have they been smoking! I know the song is for charity but frankly I'm predicting a migrane when I hear it. I hate to use the term ''sell out'' with a classic band but I feel it can be used in conjunction with The Who at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Pretty sickening alright. Classic tune, what do you make of Oasis' stab at it? Pretty damn good. They are playing it in their encore set in their recent gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Quite fond of Oasis' go at it. I'm just gonna have to make sure I never hear McFly's version of it or it'll be ruined for me forever. Can't believe The Who are backing them. That's worse than when Queen backed Five a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

First Pinball Wizard, which I sadly inform ye I've heard, and now My Generation. Now, while I can't say I like Oasis I don't mind the idea of them covering it (Like Patti Smith and Green Day - before their "sell-out") so I must be musically prejudiced. Apparently Townshend and Daltrey said something along the lines of "McFly are keeping the rock spirit alive". I'm putting it down to older age, the release of a new album soon and a tour in a few months time.
    Anyway could it be argued that "The Who" died with Keith Moon's demise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

yeah..i was pretty shocked when i heard them say that... :eek: i cant believe the who are singing' with McFly..ARGGHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just sad. I have heard a few versions and I really like this by Locals Only http://www.largeidea.net/mp3s/locals_only/live/11%20My%20Generation.mp3
    Sound is bad but it has the rawness of the original. Oasis' version is good but a bit mellow, like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Could be a lot worse.. McFly are actually quite talented, and its refreshing to see a band that actually play their instruments and sing live, even when appearing on saturday morning kids tv shows... to compare them to Westlife really is a bit of ignorance on your part. They are quite frankly great at making decent pop... albeit with the help of some great engineers and producers.. and maybe thats what Townshend sees? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

well

its The Who's song they are the ones who made such a great piece of art so they have every right to do whatever the **** they like without being labelled sell-outs to be honest and exactly who are they selling out to when its for charity

dear oh dear going through that whole mainstream vs underground phase in music are we don't worry one day you'll realize that the argument is senseless and that its ok to like whatever music you enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Hannibal Lecter

i think mcfly are crap im more into green day or coldplay because they are real bands not like mcfly a crap band that has to use the who which are CRAP!!!! anyway :D :rolleyes: :) they can sel more and they will never ruin a classic!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It was probably Pete Townsend's idea. If you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

i think mcfly are crap im more into green day or coldplay because they are real bands

The ironing is delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Not mad about the Who or the song but for me a cover version should be exactly what it claims to be....a cover of the original version. I get pissed off listening to "cover versions" that end up trying to sound exactly as the original. Thats not a cover version its just a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Blue did a whole album of covers with the original artists involved I think. Their version of Get Down On It with Kool And The Gang is so incredibly un-funky it has to be heard to be believed. They just ripped the heart of it and inserted some really bad boyband rap in the middle.

edit: gah.. did google search.. I thought they broke up. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

I haven't heard their cover of my generation but i did hear mc fly cover the who / elton john 'pinball wizard' & tbh i'm not a mc fly fan but it wasn't too bad, maybe it was just the lack of hearing the classic pinball wizzard in so long that made me think so!

Advertisement