Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland : BB plus speeds

• 08-09-2005 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry for a potentially stupid question. I was on the normal 1Mb line with BT for a few months. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to upgrade to the broadband plus package as I get 256Kb upload. Anyway, the switchover happened about 2 days ago.

I have 1.6Mb download and 63Kb upload. I'm not too pushed about the download speed but the upload speed has gotten worse than when I was on the 1Mb line.

Now, I'm talking to BT tech support about what may have caused this drop, rather than increase. But my concern is...... Their tech support person said that I should be expecting between 100Kb to 150Kb per second upload rather than around 200Kb upload.

As far as I can remember, I was getting between 80 to 100Kb when I was on the 1Mb:128Kb line. I'm pretty sure they are talking through their hoo haa's. Just want to confirm.

On 256Kb upload, I think I should be looking at a rate in or around 180Kb to 220Kb, depending on load and overheads etc.

Where are they getting this 100Kb to 150Kb value from????
    Would like a few comments before I ring them in the morning, please.

By the way, I follow their instructions on powering down the router for about 15 minutes. They claim that the line may have to be reset. I don't think so as the download speed got the increase. It's just the upload got worse.

Such is life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

IrishTLR wrote:
    Hi guys,

Sorry for a potentially stupid question. I was on the normal 1Mb line with BT for a few months. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to upgrade to the broadband plus package as I get 256Kb upload. Anyway, the switchover happened about 2 days ago.

I have 1.6Mb download and 63Kb upload. I'm not too pushed about the download speed but the upload speed has gotten worse than when I was on the 1Mb line.

Now, I'm talking to BT tech support about what may have caused this drop, rather than increase. But my concern is...... Their tech support person said that I should be expecting between 100Kb to 150Kb per second upload rather than around 200Kb upload.

As far as I can remember, I was getting between 80 to 100Kb when I was on the 1Mb:128Kb line. I'm pretty sure they are talking through their hoo haa's. Just want to confirm.

On 256Kb upload, I think I should be looking at a rate in or around 180Kb to 220Kb, depending on load and overheads etc.

Where are they getting this 100Kb to 150Kb value from????
    Would like a few comments before I ring them in the morning, please.

By the way, I follow their instructions on powering down the router for about 15 minutes. They claim that the line may have to be reset. I don't think so as the download speed got the increase. It's just the upload got worse.

Such is life.

if this is their standard €40 a month broadband plus then the line speed is 2mbit download 128k upload,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Cremo wrote:
    if this is their standard €40 a month broadband plus then the line speed is 2mbit download 128k upload,

256k upload is only provided on business packages!

Whoever told you it would increase from 128k-256k when you upgrades to plus...LIED!!!!

I get 1.72m/68k sometimes as well in that test...but I can upload to FTP servers at a consistent 13-14k....so that test is a little inaccurate.

============================================
    BTW.
    Its eircoms fault we only have 128k as BT serves most of their customers through eircoms bitstream network!!!

Advertisement