Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good EsatBT support experience!

• 08-09-2005 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I know EsatBT get a lot of flack here for their dodgy support but just wanted to tell you all about a good experience I had today with them.

Checked my download allowance last Thursday morning, 1st of the month, and instead of it being reset to 0 as usual it was telling me that I had already downloaded 3.5gb.

This had happened to me before, before I copped on about the whole usage for the current day being carried over to the next day if you don't disconnect before midnight. So ever since then I've always made sure to disconnect before midnight on the last day of the month. I shut my pc and modem down completely every night too.

Anyway, phoned EsatBT up today, got straight through to a guy called Paul and explained what happened. He said he didn't think anything could be done about it because usage can be carried over to the next day etc. and promised to send the problem up to the next level and they'd get back to me. Fair enough, but I didn't really expect anything to happen due to all the bad reports on here.

Just checked my stats a few minutes ago and what do you know, the 3.5gb has been taken off!

Maybe I've just been incredibly lucky, but I've been using Esat since the No-Limits days and have had nothing but top service from them.

BTW, I don't work for them or anything. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kmurph wrote:
    I know EsatBT get a lot of flack here for their dodgy support but just wanted to tell you all about a good experience I had today with them.

BTW, I don't work for them or anything. ;)

You sure there isnt a B in front of that Murph? :) well it was bound to happen sometime I guess that they would do something right - who knows they might start sorting out their billing department next :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Have to say I have found them spot on....Gone over limit by a few gigs a couple of times & never heard a thing..
    I have read a lot about thier billing probs ,but mine has always been right since day one...

beller b wrote:
    Have to say I have found them spot on....Gone over limit by a few gigs a couple of times & never heard a thing..
    I have read a lot about thier billing probs ,but mine has always been right since day one...

Give them time................ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

dub45 wrote:
    Give them time................ :)

So says the happy Smart customer???

zuma wrote:
    So says the happy Smart customer???

So says:

1. A very happy Smart Customer so far.....
    2. Someone who once got an invoice from Esat over two years after an account had been closed.
    3. Someone who has read far far too many posts on here about a Company whose billing department is obviously disfunctional and has been for years and nobody is apparently willing to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kmurph wrote:

Their billing system is absolutely notorious, their customer service is cack , their technology works fine and their tech support <if needed > is equally good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

BT Ireland are the worst company I've ever had to deal with. As Sponge Bob says, their billing system is a complete joke. How a company gets away with such piss poor customer service and tech support is beyond me.

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

I always had a good experiance with the support staff in EsatBT.

I had been using esat for years, and only ever had to contact their support services because of eircom. 3 times I had to get esat to disconnect my service because I was moving lines in my house and eircom would not touch my lines because I had esat bb. They helped me through some really tough times and never put on surcharges and gave my 3 month trials everytime.. Ended up having to disconnect their service and eircom line due to eircoms messing. Ended up with IBB...ugghhh.

If your getting a service, in my opinion, go for EsatBT.

Btw....Watch out for line problems and repairs when it comes to having some other company supplying services on your eircom line, i.e smart etc, because eircom will break your heart.

BT Ireland are the worst company I've ever had to deal with. As Sponge Bob says, their billing system is a complete joke. How a company gets away with such piss poor customer service and tech support is beyond me.

ambrose :cool:

It baffles me constantly that Companies such as BT are allowed to continue with such a blatantly f****d up billing department. They regularly bill people in the wrong, debit accounts willy nilly and yet there is no sanction available to the customer on the receiving end of this. You need the stamina of a marathon runner and the hide of a rhineoceros even to get through to someone who might vaguely have some responsibility in the general area.

I have just had such an experience with UTV and their attitude was appalling - they lied as a matter of course and did not give even the slightest damn that they had gone ahead and deducted money from my account in spite of the fact that I had written to them specifically withdrawing permission from them to go anywhere near my account. At one stage they even tried to blame Eircom for the way the billed me!!!!!

Regarding Esat surely Bill Murphy must have got so many emails from Boards regulars alone about the billing system that he must have said to himself 'Something is drastically wrong here?''

It must also cost Esat quite a deal of money to be constantly sorting out the billing mess....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote:
    It baffles me constantly that Companies such as BT are allowed to continue with such a blatantly f****d up billing department. They regularly bill people in the wrong, debit accounts willy nilly and yet there is no sanction available to the customer on the receiving end of this.
    Comreg are afraid to look into this in case they may have to do something about it.

My recommendation is that a person who is defrauded by BT incompetence should go to the Fraud Squad if the DD is wrong , not Comreg.

While they have the attention of the constabulary they should get them to arrest some Comreg employees for collusion as well.

Thats how bad BT can be IF things go wrong.

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/gbfi.html
    To investigate serious cases of commercial fraud, cheque and credit card fraud, computer fraud, money laundering offences and counterfeit currency.

The bold bits all apply to BT Irelands billing department !

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Comreg are afraid to look into this in case they may have to do something about it.

My recommendation is that a person who is defrauded by BT incompetence should go to the Fraud Squad if the DD is wrong , not Comreg.

While they have the attention of the constabulary they should get them to arrest some Comreg employees for collusion as well.

While I agree with you totally I would be very pleasantly surprised if the Garda actually took a case on. I imagine they would make all sorts of excuses as to why they could not proceed.

What I reallly would like to see is some way of sanctioning Companies by having their dd facilities withdrawn - but the banks would never do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Come on lads don't go putting the mockers on me!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Sponge Bob wrote:

Quote:
    To investigate serious cases of commercial fraud, cheque and credit card fraud, computer fraud, money laundering offences and counterfeit currency.

Incompetence is not fraud, there is not the requisite intent to defraud so the Guards won't get involved. If there was evidence that there was a deliberate scheme to overcharge cutomers they might do but I'm afraid that simple incompetence even if widespread won't rise to that level. Of course Comreg as the regulator should be more proactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

yeah, esat bt billing is a yoke...

the online bill shows the following: "calls from 24/06/05 to 24/08/05. Rentals from 18/07/05 to 24/10/05".

I only ordered on 5th of july.... and only got my BB on 17th of August, and line rental on 29 aug or there abouts.

called bt to see what the story was... the women explained that I was charged for: 50 euro connection fee, +2 months in advance for BB. And BB was being charged at the wrong rate - 32 something when it should have been 15. Anyway, she said she will take care of it. We will see what I get for the next bill....

dam099 wrote:
    Incompetence is not fraud, there is not the requisite intent to defraud so the Guards won't get involved. If there was evidence that there was a deliberate scheme to overcharge cutomers they might do but I'm afraid that simple incompetence even if widespread won't rise to that level. Of course Comreg as the regulator should be more proactive.

While you are unfortunately right the particularly galling thing in the case of Esat is that this incompetence has been going on for years. There surely comes a time when the incompetence has to be deemed wilful!!!!

It beggars belief that any management team can allow this sort of situation to persist and that the customer on the receiving end (or should I say debiting end) has often to fight tooth and nail to get their own money back.

Can you imagine how Esat would react if someone hacked into their accounting system and 'debited' say 300 euros for themselves and left a message saying ring me about twenty times, prepare to be left hanging on for ages etc etc and you may get your money back in three months......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Ive been with them a year and had to ring up for some things a couple and never had any problems found them grand apart from being told different things about the cap ie. none of them knew if the old 8 gigs was combined or independent of eachother :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The ONLY way to deal with that kind of DD or credit/laser card screw up is via your bank / credit card company.

The banks DO take it very seriously. I had one incident where a company debited my account without permission after I'd closed accounts etc.. and I simply provided the evidence to AIB + the details of the transaction.

Within 48 hours I had a senior manager on the phone begging for forgiveness!

I don't know what AIB said to him but it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Just to follow up, got a call back on Friday afternoon from the Paul guy I was talking to.

Apparently what happened is that I had actually logged off at 1 second past midnight which is why the 3.5gb was carried over. Seeing as it was only 1 second they decided to let me off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

Another story:
    recently moved into a house and ordered the BT line rental/broadband special . have been running up mobile phone bills and using friends' internet connections while i wait. Have been trying to follow up on phone, email, web, and FINALLY got through to someone today. Guess what? They lost my order! The guy I spoke recommended I go with Eircom to get the line connected as they (BT) obviously screwed up!

So I'll get an Eircom line. Not a lot of choice of BB in Wicklow Town AFAIK, any suggestions?

Advertisement