Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for monitoring Laser?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 11:41pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any 'body' either human or otherwise responsible for monitoring how Companies use Laser.

In spite of written instructions from me UTV recently went ahead and debited my account for a monthly bill which I had pointed out to them well in advance of the due date was wrong.

I would like to make a formal complaint about them but I presume that Companies can basically do what they bloodywell like and no one gives a damn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd say your best bet would be to ring the number on the back of the Laser card... this generally works with Credit Cards anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Surely the first port of call would be the bank who issued you the laser card?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

fintan wrote:
    Surely the first port of call would be the bank who issued you the laser card?

I should have explained that I went down this road about 18 months ago when O2 messed me around via my laser card and I was truly astonished about how vague everyone was about the Laser system (including my own bank). I eventually ended up talking to some lady in Dun Laogaire I think but the idea of being able to make a complaint about a company abusing the laser system seemed totally alien to her. So before I set out again I was hoping that somebody here might have some information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

If your complaint is against UTV (i.e. they have issued you with an incorrect bill), then I would say that you would have to contact either COMREG or the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs. You may be able to take an action against UTV in the Small Claims Court as well.

Your first step should be to write to your bank and tell them that they should not accept any more demands for payment from UTV as you have not authorised them. However, if UTV are still providing you with a service, they will more than likely cut you off for failure to pay.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Don't use Laser for direct debits. You have *NO* comeback. Use a credit card if you want to be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

CCOVICH wrote:
    If your complaint is against UTV (i.e. they have issued you with an incorrect bill), then I would say that you would have to contact either COMREG or the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs. You may be able to take an action against UTV in the Small Claims Court as well.

Your first step should be to write to your bank and tell them that they should not accept any more demands for payment from UTV as you have not authorised them. However, if UTV are still providing you with a service, they will more than likely cut you off for failure to pay.

Hope this helps

My complaint against UTV is not that they issued me with a wrong bill - that sort of thing happens even with the best Companies. My complaint is that in accordance with their own Terms and Conditions I wrote to them and pointed out that it was wrong and specificallly withdrew from them the authority to debit my account with the incorrect amount (via my Laser card) I was very precise in this. As far as I am concerned if a Company goes ahead and debits my account after the authority has been withdrawn it is stealing - simple as that. UTV are so blase about other people's money it defies belief. (''We have to bill you like that because of the way Eircom bill us!!!'' ''Oh we could not refund you now in case we refunded you again at the end of the month'' )

When companies behave in this way it appears that there is virtually no sanction available to the consumer yet if we miss a bill etc etc they can levy us with extra charges and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Im stunned your bank wouldn't do anything about it, the Bankers Federation are the governing body for Laser.

Hope that helps

Let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

A direct debit is an agreement between you and the originator (in this case, UTV)
    The bank merely facilitates payment from your account.

Write to UTV telling them that you wish to cancel the direct debit.
    Send a copy of the letter to your bank.

The bank is unable to 'stop' / 'cancel' specific direct debits without putting a complete block on your account. The only way to return them unpaid is to catch them on the day they hit your account - and the bank will not agree to watch your account every day for you. That's up to you.

If any more direct debits are subsequently taken from your account, you should be entitled to a refund under the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme once you can prove you have given the originator written confirmation of your wish to cancel the payment.

I would strongly discourage people from paying bills by direct debit unless they absolutely have to. It is far better to have control of the process yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Edit: Ignore this post. I misread the one before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

CCOVICH wrote:

Hope this helps
    As UTV are not based or registered in this jurisdiction, they are pretty much judgement proof as they cannot be sued in an Irish court. Alot of ppl don't realise this till there is a problem.

Direct debit via a payment card is the worst thing possible to do as the bank will have to kill your card to stop payments.

If you DD via a credit card the situation is worse as the issuing bank will not stop payment. Even if you change card number they can still debit away. The only way to stop it is for the company to stop. This is a dangerous state of affairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement