Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, IIS with.NET or ASP, or Apache Tomcat with J2EE/JSP?

Options
  • 09-09-2005 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

For a vast amount of content (100K documents easy) and not much functionality, which type of server would you recommend?

Client wants IIS, I want Open Source(Apache Tomcat etc)... I have minimum exposure to IIS/ASP/.NET in comparison to J2EE or PHP, and I fear if the client decides to go with that option I will have to forfeit the contract. So if anyone has any experience with MS based Web technologies, please let me know(if any) what constraints you came across and would you recommend it over Apache/Tomcat?? Cost is an issue, so I supopse that is one argument..

Any comments appreciated! Now, to start googling...

ps: I should add that their existing site is MS based, so we will probably re-use the windows 2k machines they have.. Their DB's are mainly MS SQL

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will there be a complete overhaul of the site?
    If you migrate to open source/non-MS what database will you go with and will it be a straightforward job moving the data from MS SQL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

First there is the cost.. Windows licenses vs open source.

Then there is after sales support. Who will be doing it you or them. If its them they should choose the platform because they will be supporting it.

For very little functionality and lots of content you should look at Content Management Server for Windows or Mambo for open source. Again cost is the issue here.

There is very little between them in the case of programming.. its six of one half dozen of the other. Personally, I do most of my programming on IIS, but also have done Apache. Hardest thing was just learning the config. After that its all the same.

For the lack of hassle stay with the MS Solution because they already know it works for them. Again i would be looking at the support once the project is done. If they are an all Windows house, it makes little sense to introduce apache and that learning for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

In many cases, Apache doesn't work so well on Windows. If you do go the Apache route, go for Apache 2 running in a threaded configuration; Windows' forking (such as it is) is extremely poor.

Are the existing databases well-designed? If so, prob'ly easier leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

If the client has already invested in Microsoft licenses then what would the compelling reason be not to use them? If the only reason is because your skill set isn't a good match then that is not a good reason. They most likely have some expertise built up in maintenance and configuration of windows, sql server and IIS, introducing new technologies to maintain and configure will only increase the overall operational costs.

Advertisement