Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally Wireless Access in GMIT (Main Galway Campus)

Options
  • 09-09-2005 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All

Just got word there that CS just finished setting up there new wireless hotspot around the campus. It will be available in the Library, New reception area, board room, and College Canteen

They plan to start connecting students and staff by the end of September, but they are waiting on an ADSL line to be installed :eek:
    (the Wireless network will be running on a separated internet line then the Heanets one. this is a Big let down :( as it will probably be Very slow with allot of users on line also they said there will be NO access to any of the college network)

There is no ESS-ID broadcast on the AP's so it will be differcult to connect to it with out having the correct setting and also the WEP keys. Windows wireless app will not pick it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I guess its better than nothing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Who do I go to see about getting connected?
    Who told you about this connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Go to Pat in CS about this. They will be starting to connect people at the end of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Looks like Gabrial Hicks finally got his way he proposed that 2 years ago when the liburary went in.

orinoco chipset and netstumber under linux will.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

seems a bit silly not to let people use the college network, the whole advantage is that you can sit in the canteen and download the file you want from your account or access the internal website.

Maybe this is just a trial run. If they get in a 3MB ADSL line i don't think the connection speed will be that bad.It's not like there are going to be 100 people connected at any one time?

• Advertisement

Id like to correct my previous post

Broadast ESSID will show up in Netstumbler but for non broadcast networks youll need kismet (oops sorry)

Plus the college network is quick but only after about 6 when everyones gone home. The liburary (pub) has bluetooth and theres an irishwan node beside glan na ri(my personal choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

NutJob wrote:
    Id like to correct my previous post

Broadast ESSID will show up in Netstumbler but for non broadcast networks youll need kismet (oops sorry)

Plus the college network is quick but only after about 6 when everyones gone home. The liburary (pub) has bluetooth and theres an irishwan node beside glan na ri(my personal choice)

Have you use kismet? i tried to install it in Linux but ran into diffurculty with compiling it. only new to Linux

P.S Libury (pub) has free WiFi (WLAN)

Documentation it here
    http://www.kismetwireless.net/documentation.shtml

What are the errors is it missing libs or headers or .........

what kernell you using and what driver are you using for wireless
    i use Orinoco chipset PCMCIA card and that means patching.

Need more info to help

Advertisement