Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft have challenged us

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Somebody on the inside will eventually leak to the outside (for a brown envelope probably) how to do it. 6-12 months from launch I reckon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"Part of the motivation behind this is to prevent people from using the 360 to watch pirated films or TV shows."

Does this mean the media player is going to be crippled into only playing certain formats/DRM video?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

I've already seen a web site advertising mod chips for the 360, most likely bullsh!t though.
    It will definitlely be hacked at some stage, its only a matter of time.
    For every smart arse working on the 360 to make it hack proof, theres 10 guys working on ways to beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If it uses the CPU lock that intel developed, be doing well to crack it.

CPU checks at startup for various hardware guids if one isnt present or is modified it dont boot. So an extar chip or 2 would be detected and you have a nice paperweight.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

yeah. ow i got a crappty idea :) Remake the hardware without the security crap in it :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It will be hacked, MS know it as well as everyone else. I'd say it will be done within the year, however, besides pirate games and cheat, what else use will it be? The media centre appeal of an xbox mod will be gone, so besides playing retro games, I couldn't care less.
    What would rock would be a hacker modding a 360 to emulate an xbox 100% before MS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

They said that about the original as well and that took all of 36 hours before it was hacked and running redhat!

At the end of the day, its chips with code. Once you can code, and your worth your salt you can make it do what ever you like.

Advertisement