Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Disease - Pilotus Avoidus

Options
  • 09-09-2005 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So - there I am playing away on some European ranked server as usual when suddenly I realise that no one is jumping into the gunner position in the helo... ever.

All attempts to entice people to 'jump in' or 'mount up' failed. Even flying to locations where people were stranded in order to pick up a decent sidekick failed. For some unknown reason not one single person joined me in probably 15 mins of helo action.

Now - I know what you're thinking...but you're wrong. I wasn't acting the maggot, wasn't teamkilling in previous maps and wasn't flying like an idiot (I can actually handle the chopper pretty well), and I regularly checked the chopper for wads of C4 being attached (none)...but for some reason I spent the entire map flying solo.

No idea why... put it down to a bad case of pilotus avoidus. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Maybe fulla guys that wanna fly as well??
    Some servers I been to ya get guys that won't fly but will jump in & do co pilot, before a pilot is in like. Only a couple of times seen ppl jump in then out as they wanna be pilot.

Personally I like being co myself, but when playin a round & ur pilot is crashin most of the time doing them suicidal dives into a tank or spinnin into a chopper ya gotta call time & fly yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I love being the gunner/copilot in the attack choppers now that I've mastered the tv guided bombs :)
    I'm not so good as the pilot, but am able to get from A to B without crashing. Much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I must admit - on pub servers, ranked usually - it's so rare to find a good pilot/gunner combo that when it does happen, it's like striking gold.

A good pilot doesn't showboat, is aware of the threats and places the chopper in the right spot, at the right altitude for the gunner to do the necessary.

A good gunner spots the nme (calls it to pilot), calls for repairs when necessary and keeps focused on targets.

Communication is vital between the two and usually it amounts to YES/NO shortcuts to signal area clear or nme still around, combined with actual NME SPOTTED comms.

When you get two people working together in this way, the results are impressive and the fun is ratcheted up a notch or two, especially when there are near misses and regular returns to the pad to repair, rearm and revisit the combat:)

Just doesn't happen often enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

c0y0te wrote:
    I must admit - on pub servers, ranked usually - it's so rare to find a good pilot/gunner combo that when it does happen, it's like striking gold.
    Unless they know you, they often as not don't come aboard. This is becasue most chopper pilots on a public server crash, or expect you (the co-pilot) to kill from an impossible angle.

I mainly go with clam members only. Either my own, or another clan. Rarely go with with non clan members, as they have a higher percentage of being sh|te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I have the problem where any server I am on you have some idiot who jumps into the chopper and flys off without a co-pilot....even calling for lift or asking why you usually get "no can man"........I like flying as co-pilot because it is easier to get kills.....all you have to worry about is taking out target....when pilot you are trying to fly and hit targets

Also hate when a pilot only flys for himself and no co-pilot.....got one fellow one time that would hover so I could use guided missles to take out target!! we rules the whole map!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ive got pilotus avoidus. I'm a crap gunner, so bad I reckon they're better with no gunner until I badger my clan to let me practice it some more and can actually hit something, I'm more likely to get both of us killed.

So, I run away from choppers taking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

stop crashing into palm trees

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah i can fly a bit but i love being the co. so much fun with the tv guided missles

Advertisement