Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner

Options
  • 09-09-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Want to get into Sailing but I have no idea how to go about it. 21 and located in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Call to Blessington Sailing Club and crew on a catamaran :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Powerboat.ie

Contact the Irish Sailing Association www.sailing.ie for a full list of clubs and sailing schools (such as ourselves).

Kind regards,

Stuart

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

www.sailing.ie is a great source of clubs.

Two worth mentioning:

A favourite on the southside is the Irish National Sailing Club in DunLaoighre. They claim to offer the only public (non-club) sailing club in Ireland or Britain. They offer competitive rates and pay as you sail sessions.

Many people in Ireland (30,000 or more they claim) learn their sailing thought Glenans in either Westport or Baltimore on dingies or small keelboats. This will involve travelling away for a weeekend or a week (recommended) More at www.glenans-ireland.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Yes Glennans is definitely recommended for a 21 year old who wants to learn to sail and other things social. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Powerboat.ie

If you go to www.sailing.ie and click the contact button at the top of the page, you can email them and ask for a free booklet called where to sail, winsurf and powerboat in Ireland. This handy book list all of the Schools and Clubs in Ireland.

Kind regards,

Stuart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dunner09

The national yacht club in dun laoghaire is very good for getting into sailing and is quite laid back , where as the other yacht clubs in dl are a bit formal . do u own ur own boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

do you have to have a boat for the dun laoghaire setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

and what sort of start-up costs are we talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 allabouteve58

http://www.insc.ie/

These guys are in Dun Laoghaire. I did the beginner course there last year. Was excellent. Was a full weekend of hands on learning.

You dont need your own boats. They have 1720 yachts there and you are on a boat with about 4 others and a tutor.

Level 1 (beginners) costs about 199 for the weekend. I think Level 2 is about 250.

Would highly recommend them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.sailingindublin.ie/

Based in Dun Laoghaire, the cheapest way of getting afloat regularly and a great bunch of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Dyflin wrote: »
    http://www.sailingindublin.ie/

Based in Dun Laoghaire, the cheapest way of getting afloat regularly and a great bunch of people.

I was looking at the FAQ on that website - is it correct that for 375 EUR, I could sail every weekend for a year plus 3 days a week during the summer months? No other extra costs at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yeah, as long as there's space on the boat (some days are more popular than others).

Advertisement