Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone in FM 2005?

• 09-09-2005 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

and how do they measure up?

I'm playing a game as Dublin City which also features John Ryan (Kildare County manager) under pressure as it happens, but he still has average ratings of about a 10 as a manager

Now i work with John in the Berkeley Court, he's assistant food and beverage waiter and i was talking to him about it and he thinks the whole thing is bizarre.

anyone else personally know anyone featured in the game? and what do they think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I once had a season going in 01/02 I think it was, managing Ireland and someone else and in centre-midfield I had a player called John Smith*, worth almost £10m and playing club football in the Premiership. At the same time I was starting a summer job in Argos, and working with a guy called John Smith*. Anyway, I didn't think any more of it until we started talking about CM one day and he mentioned that he was actually in the game. The penny dropped.

*Name changed for tedious legal reasons :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

An old mate of mine who went off to play for Aston Villa and is now Goalkeeper in their U18's is in the game. I scouted him in my game and it said "... has no future in professional football" Oh we had some good laughs at his expense. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I went to school with a few guys who play for Bray Wanderers, and played under age footie with one (possibly two) of the Stoke city Irish players.
    They were good, I was crap :/

And my old basketball coache's son is a youth keeper for Charlton I think. Afaics FM2005 rates him as a reasonable keeper, Championship quality when he gets older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

lafortezza wrote:
    And my old basketball coache's son is a youth keeper for Charlton I think. Afaics FM2005 rates him as a reasonable keeper, Championship quality when he gets older.
    Did this keeper play for Ardmore Rovers in Bray...?

• Advertisement

Probably did, first name Darren.

Why are we all so shy about naming who we know anyway? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

graham barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I went to school with Ger Nash is a centre-back at ipswich in FM2005, would be a good buy for any of ye all playing as eircom league teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

lafortezza wrote:
    Probably did, first name Darren.

Why are we all so shy about naming who we know anyway? :)
    Well, i don't know any names but my younger brother mentioned he was in school (Pres) with an Ardmore GK who now plays for Charlton.

I think Ardmore Rovers and Charlton have some kind of partnership going, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

I live across the road from a St. Pats player who will remain nameless. It's hardly a claim to fame tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Eddie Wallace (UCD Asst. Manager) is my mates dad.
    I was in school with Eamon Zayed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Adrian Murphy and Shane Brennan(RIP)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

-oRnein9- wrote:
    I went to school with Ger Nash is a centre-back at ipswich in FM2005, would be a good buy for any of ye all playing as eircom league teams.
    He's vacilator's cousin afaik.

This thread is funny, it'd be better suited to being in soccer as "Do you know any footballers...?" 'cos it's the same thing.

Mentioned earlier, Eamon Zayed. Over here it's pretty common to know footballers, my housemate has met Jamie Redknapp etc through friends a few times, while a workmate used to play schoolboy football with John Terry, Peter Crouch, Bobby Zamora and Paul McVeigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭the tipster

kaids wrote:
    He's vacilator's cousin afaik.

This thread is funny, it'd be better suited to being in soccer as "Do you know any footballers...?" 'cos it's the same thing.

Mentioned earlier, Eamon Zayed. Over here it's pretty common to know footballers, my housemate has met Jamie Redknapp etc through friends a few times, while a workmate used to play schoolboy football with John Terry, Peter Crouch, Bobby Zamora and Paul McVeigh.

do you just bull**** on every thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭the tipster

-oRnein9- wrote:

where you from ornein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

do you just bull**** on every thread

How is that bullshít? He's living in London.
    Do you ever contribute something worthwhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

i was wondering what the people you know thought about being in the game

e.g slurms response a few posts up!

The CM magazine used to interview some up-an-coming players and ask them what they thought of the attributes they had been given. Most of them said it was a fair reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The thing is most of the young players i.e. my mate are given random stats. So it doesn't really reflect on the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

used to play footie and cricket with adrian harper of sheff united

• Advertisement

Yeah most of the unknown ones are given random attributes but the magazine was interviewing fairly potent young championship players.

Does anyone reckon certain players are over/under rated by FM? They've actually admitted under-estimating Frank Lampard in the past. I don't agree with some of the Shels attributes, but I'll live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Went to school with Leon Britton, I think he plays for Cardiff/Swansea (some welsh team) now. He used to play for West Ham as a kid, he was class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

where you from ornein

Confey, Leixlip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

My brother's in it. Funnily enough I know one of the designers of Championship Manager too (I mean the new one). My brother played with AFC Wimbledon for a while and his face was on some of the promo material for the game. Overall, he didn't really seem to care much but then he's that sort of person anyway! Plus his stats were all fairly daft, almost the complete opposite of his real footballing attributes and they had him as English instead of Irish and so on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Alan Lee for Cardiff and IRELAND played for the club I play for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

My da used to teach Shay Given and i always annoyed when i was young, even before he wasw famous. went to school with Ryan Mc gavigan(Leceister City in the game now Derry City). Martin Lauchlan(formerly of St Johnson, in the game with Stenhousemuir but now playing with Finn Harps) Chris Breen(Finn Harps) Damien Whitehead(formerly of macclesfield Town, playing with Omagh town in the game but now playing with Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northside Punk

did u notice when you play shamrock rovers away its played at the tallaght stadium dublin,
    someone didnt do their homework

Well I'd say its hard to programme the game to have a new random stadium around Dublin every 6 months!

And I'm pretty sure they do their homework: 2,500 researchers, 250,000 players and staff and 50 countries to manage in (5,000 teams).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

SofaKing wrote:
    Well, i don't know any names but my younger brother mentioned he was in school (Pres) with an Ardmore GK who now plays for Charlton.

I think Ardmore Rovers and Charlton have some kind of partnership going, no?

Yes there is a partnership. Ardmore hold Charlton Soccer Camps too.

Don't be suprised if ye see me in it in a few years time with Brucie and the greats at Birmingham.

I know a few people. Paul McShane, Alan O'Brien, Michael Reddy, Robert Manley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

My cousin is in it, he plays for Shrewsbury Town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i went to school with peter hynes playing for dublin city
    i live up the road from stephen quigley for st pats
    i was in college with brian murphy from kilkenny city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I went to school with Kevin Mulchay (Villa reserves)

Advertisement