Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

two new newspapers on the way

• 09-09-2005 11:03am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned on Back Seat Drivers and TCAL , Dublin is due to get two new newspapers, one arriving next week.
    The first is Metro, a newspaper some of you may be familiar with. It currently circulates in major UK cities and is available on buses, trains etc. The Dublin Metro newspaper will be available on Darts and the Luas but no CIE deal has been struck yet. The newspaper will be run by Associated Newspapers (owners of Ireland on Sunday) with the help of The Irish Times.
    The second in basically the INM response to the Metro and little information is available on it at present.
    As most people have spotted, newspapers like The Evening Herald and even the Irish Independent tabloid size are likely to suffer even slightly by this new production, which is certainly why INM are responding with their own version. The Irish Times has pulled off a masterstroke by getting involved at the bottom, this newspaper is likely to have zero effect on their sales and will be very tabloid in style. In other words, any success from the Metro will basically be damaging to other newspapers.
    I personally am interested to see what happens to The People newspapers, and other Dublin freesheets. With two new freesheets coming into the market, one made by The Indo and the other with content from the Times (which is also a daily), I find it hard to see how these publications wont be badly hit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

Interesting, there is already a newspaper in Ireland called "Metro Eireann" published by Chinedu Onyejelem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

From a purely 'ideological' viewpoint, I shudder to think of more Daily Mail/Ireland on Sunday toss being foisted upon the nation...Jesus - the brother picked up IoS last week, and it was front paging with 'Charlotte church takes drugs and drinks'

I mean - what's with the moral outrage. I'd be more surpised and disgusted if I thought a teenage millionairess was living the life of a maiden aunt...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

From a purely 'ideological' viewpoint, I shudder to think of more Daily Mail/Ireland on Sunday toss being foisted upon the nation...Jesus - the brother picked up IoS last week, and it was front paging with 'Charlotte church takes drugs and drinks'

I mean - what's with the moral outrage. I'd be more surpised and disgusted if I thought a teenage millionairess was living the life of a maiden aunt...

It's true, the IoS is a pretty bad newspaper, but it's cost Associated Newspapers dearly, so you'd think they'd realise that the British style prudism and conservatisism doesn't sell well here. Nope, they're readying a new Oirish Daily Mail for the market. shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

anyone know if the Metro free paper is being lauched still this week? tomorrow?

mobpd wrote:
    anyone know if the Metro free paper is being lauched still this week? tomorrow?

I dunno, but I did see people handing out The Herald free on Parnell St the other day, obviously a pre-emptive move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

flogen wrote:
    I dunno, but I did see people handing out The Herald free on Parnell St the other day, obviously a pre-emptive move!

they are always giving out the evening herald for free. If not for free then they are selling it at half price. The only time I have ever paid fulll price for the herald was in Dublin, where I was charged €1 for it.

they are always giving out the evening herald for free. If not for free then they are selling it at half price. The only time I have ever paid fulll price for the herald was in Dublin, where I was charged €1 for it.

My dislike for The Herald has been exposed, I didn't realise it was normal to give it away or sell it off. I can understand the half price thing though, better than having them all destroyed, at least you get something for it. I guess it costs less to give them away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

I bought the Herald last week, I got a free bottle of orange with it. Bought the Indo on Saturday got a free book.

Advertisement