Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this be done with C#?

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hey I am thinking of developing an app in C# that will act as way of determing the physical location of a pc in a building. Im kinda new to C# so forgive my shortcomings. My thinking of how I will approach it will be that I will use a command similar to the "ping" command to the physical network port that the machine is connected to, to verify that the pc is at that location. I know C++ had a number of IP commands, but I am asking too much? Also does a network port have a static hardware address like a mac address?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ivan Dunaev

look for System.Net namespace
    ping can be found here - http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20020209.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Bear in mind that not all computers do respond to ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Also does a network port have a static hardware address like a mac address?

I presume you are talking about the network socket on the wall? Typically this has no address itself - you'll want to be talking to the router to query which port has which IP address and then have a table of where each router port is physically wired to in the building.

Advertisement