Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3's and the Irish copyright laws

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

We recently came across a problem in our company where a user had alot of Mp3' on his pc. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the law stating the illegalities behind MP3's.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

John R wrote:

I wouldn't know what to look for there , all looks a bit too legal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

K-TRIC wrote:
    We recently came across a problem in our company where a user had alot of Mp3' on his pc. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the law stating the illegalities behind MP3's.

Thanks
    K
    There's nothing legally wrong with having mp3s. There's nothing legally wrong with making a cassette copy of your CD for use in the car (assuming the CD isn't being played at the same time). There's nothing legally wrong with making a CD copy of your own CD for your own use - say for bringing on a holday.

There is the potential for a breach of copyright if the 'lot of mp3s' on the persons computer were ill gotten. Or if they were being shared with others in the office. Or with others on the planet thru file sharing programs

There is the potential for your company to get the hump if they don't like people having mp3s on their machines.

the act you want is COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT, 2000, and Part 3 looks like the salient part. How much of that a company can rely on (as opposed to a wronged 'performer') is anybodys guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I found what I was looking for . Thanks GT.

Advertisement