Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning on credit card "due date"

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I was recently lured into moving money to an MBNA credit card for the offer of 1.9% interest for six months.

One warning, said the guy: pay by the due date or the interest will go back up to 13.9 per cent.

So I trundled down the post office and paid by the date listed on the bill each month - only to find myself paying a late fee, and the huge interest of 13.9 per cent.

MBNA directed me to the small print, which says that the date listed on the bill is the date the money *must be in their account*.

So if you're paying by the date listed on your bill, you're actually paying them three to five days late.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

had that myself threatened them that I would close the account unless the refunded me. be well aware have now moved back to AIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yeah, I'm taking the money out of the card today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats standard on any CC

Bleagh. Wouldn't you think it would be "Pay by xx date"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've had real problems with MBNA regarding this.

They weren't posting my payments until 2 weeks after I'd paid them and then charging me late payments. Took months to get sorted out. Just got rid of them. Do the same. They're the worst credit card company in Ireland to deal with.

• Advertisement

The other thing they said.... ditsy dork that I am, I vaguely thought the guy had said *free* interest rather than *cheap* interest.

"Oh, no, that's certainly not available in Ireland," they said.

In Ireland!

So they're happy to offer their English customers things unavailable to their Irish customers.

(Or in your and my case, ex-customer.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

It's standard for any bill. The payment due date is the date the payment needs to be received by the recepient. Most methods of payments can take up to 5 working days to reach and it's up to you to make payment not the people issuing the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Eh...no surprise there? That's the same with *ANY* bill, credit card or utility etc

Well, I didn't know. All my utilities are on direct debit or standing order for years, and I've always paid off the credit card bill *on the date it says on the bill*. I thought I was doing right. Excuse me for living.

It would be interesting to post a poll, to see how most people understood the due date on the credit card bill. I bet a lot of people would have thought, like me, that it was the date by which you had to pay the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

you pay on the due date that is it, when they recieve the money is not your problem the payment transaction date will indicate the payment as say 5 june and due date 5 june is correct if they charge you they are commiting fraud as I said stay away from MBNA they are the biggest idiots and frauds in the credit card business currently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

luckat wrote:
    Well, I didn't know. All my utilities are on direct debit or standing order for years, and I've always paid off the credit card bill *on the date it says on the bill*. I thought I was doing right. Excuse me for living.

If only MBNA put a comment like Please allow up to 5 working days for your payments to reach youir account

oh,

they do,

several times...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

woody wrote:
    you pay on the due date that is it, when they recieve the money is not your problem the payment transaction date will indicate the payment as say 5 june and due date 5 june is correct if they charge you they are commiting fraud as I said stay away from MBNA they are the biggest idiots and frauds in the credit card business currently

Depends on your defination of "PAY", it is clearly stated on the statement that you must allow 5-7 days for the payments to reach your account.

And this is not something unique to MBNA, most utilities have this provision. And it is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And this is not something unique to MBNA, most utilities have this provision. And it is not unreasonable.

Indeed. However, MBNA are notorious for being extremely strict - unlike other companies. It's one of the major things to be aware of when dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

'please allow 4 / 5 / 6 etc working days for payment to reach us' is a common feature on most bills.

its ironic that people flock to MBNA because they 'shake up the market' / 'introduce a bit of competition to those greedy banks' and then discover that these short-term sweeteners can be long term pain.

cheapest deal is not always the best.

Advertisement