Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible mould in my house

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I've recently done up a house which was in bad condition when we bought it. There was a lot of mould around the windows in 1 bedroom. It's started to ceom back a small bit. There's also some mould/damp developing in the bathroom around the shower. So far I'm cleaning it off. it there anything else I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Mould is a sign of dampness. This could be caused by rising damp, in which case you need damproofing ( a lot of old houses need this - mine did) or more likely if the bedroom is upstairs, by old rotten windows, which will need repairing or replacing.

You could bring a dehumidifier in but that is a temporary solution. It's won't fix the problem.

Bathroom mould is obvious - it's in the wettest room in the house. Fit and extractor or at worst open a window after shower/bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

The mould coming back could be a sign of damp and/or poor ventilation. It might be an idea to check that the wall vents aren't blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Was the house dry lined when you done it up? sounds like it needs a full face lift to cure the problem. Extractor fans and dehumidifiers will only prolong the agony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mairin

thanks for your advice. we had it checked for damp and was told there was none. the bathroom has been drylined. it may not be mould even. it's like black furry dust. sounds like mould really. the surveyor did say that the bedroom wasn't well ventilated which i forget until i noticed the mould coming back on the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Well if the house has been properly dry lined, mould shouldn't appear...it could be rising damp through the floors if they didn't have the proper plastic under them.

Damp is something you dont want anyway...i lived in a damp appartment for 9 months a few years back...suffered from flu and chest infections that whole time and general bad health not to mention it destroying my clothes.

My advice is to get a second opinion on the whole thing from someone in the know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Mairin,

Your description could apply to condensation very often mistaken for mould, if you blocked up a fireplace in the bedroom or installed new windows you may have eliminated the only ventilation in the rooms.

The reason the condensation turns black is due to the amount of dirt in the air in general ( not just your home :) ) airborne particles of dirt stick to the wet areas turning black.

Advertisement