Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable To Get To Internet Through Wireless Router/ISP DSL Router Combination

• 09-09-2005 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I know this is probably more of a nets/comms issue but there was a similar post there a few days ago that nobody replied to, so here goes.

I recently bought a 3com router/wireless card bundle from Komplett. What I am trying to do is connect to the internet using the router through my (UTV provided) Creative DSL modem blaster (not sure of the exact model as I’m in work right now). The plan is then to connect a laptop wirelessly for file sharing and internet browsing amongst other things. The wireless link to the laptop worked more or less instantly once the drivers were installed for the PCMCIA card & I can share files between the two machines with no problems(the other being my desktop).

I have setup my router as per the instructions that came with it. All link lights are on the 3com router are lit (solid green) indicating that the Ethernet connection to my machine is working and the connection from the cable/dsl port on the 3com router to the Creative router is working also (connected using the provided CAT5 cable). The problem is that I can’t get out to the internet at all. I have reset the 3com router back to default several times and went through carefully configuring it again step by step.

I have selected PPPoE as the protocol and entered my UTV username and password details (I left the ‘optional’ fields of primary/secondary DNS servers & Hostname blank as suggested as I didn’t know them) but I am unable to enter the correct MTU value of 1500 as the highest the router can go is 1492, so I don’t know if that makes a difference. I have turned off the XP firewall also. Originally I had set my 3com router IP to 192.168.1.2 during setup as the Creative router was set to 192.168.1.1 by default. I came across a possible fix for problem suggesting that both routers should be setup on a different subnet with DHCP enabled on the second router, so I set the Creative router to 192.168.1.2 & the 3com to 192.168.2.1, disabled DHCP on the Creative and enabled it on the 3com but still no joy. I have also tried updating the firmware on the 3com router which made some extra features available but didn’t resolve the issue.
    Also, I don’t know if this is relevant but the OS is XP and I’m using Firefox. The NIC on the desktop is on board also.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Ok, ok. I get the message and will duly feck off to Nets/Comms :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Can you put the creative modem/router into bridge mode so as only the 3Com is doing routing&DHCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Ah finally a reply :p

Thanks for the suggestion Paddy, I'll give it a whirl when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 a06snow

:p
    FAIR PLAY HAD SAME PROBLEM ,UNTIL I SEEN YOUR SUGGESTION.I TRIED MY ZYXEL ROUTER ON BRIDGE MODE AND THEN MY 3COM CAME TO LIFE. GLAD FELLOW WORK BUDDY TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SITE BRILLIANT !!
    MANY THANKS

Advertisement