Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WiFi 802.11g USB adapters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

im not sure how good those usb pen one's are.. personally i would get the Linksys one. i have 2 Linksys PCI Wifi Cards and there excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

lazygit wrote:
    im not sure how good those usb pen one's are.. personally i would get the Linksys one. i have 2 Linksys PCI Wifi Cards and there excellent.

Linksys is also of a USB pen type - it just has a holder (but you can plug it directly into USB port as well) and an external antenna.

Hawking Technology product looks like a killer adapter, but where can we get it here?

Best,
    CaptSolo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

yea the directional antenna's are very nice.. i had a normal airel on my pci card and was getting about 40% signal strength to my accesspoint.. (the house is big and the walls are solid concrete ;p) with a Directional antenna attached to the card in place of the normal aireal the singnal was boosted to about 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

lazygit wrote:
    yea the directional antenna's are very nice.. i had a normal airel on my pci card and was getting about 40% signal strength to my accesspoint.. (the house is big and the walls are solid concrete ;p) with a Directional antenna attached to the card in place of the normal aireal the singnal was boosted to about 80%

OK - agreed that the one with directional antenna is the best choice.

Any ideas where to order it from?
    Online shops from Ireland or UK preferable.

Most of searches for Hawking Technology's HWU54D, 2.4Ghz Hi-Gain Directional Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter return price / seller aggregation pages (e.g. fashion.ie) that show a number of sellers, but in the end it turns out they all are in the US _and_ they ship via amazon.com _and_ amazon.com won't ship electronic goods internationally.

Best,
    CaptSolo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

mail elara.ie or microaid.ie and see if they can source it for you. I find microaid.ie good for getting stuff not listed on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Agreed. Please let us know if one can source it!
    (grumbles quietly..7dBi.."hi-gain"..bah!)

BTW: PCWorld have similar (LinkSys & BT) USB dongles with external antennae..but not very impressive..

Advertisement