Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transport TDs from all parties fail mock driving test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One suspects that the results were either rigged or a little extra harsh, purely to drive home the point. No harm tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

seamus wrote:
    One suspects...
    <adam curtsies>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Cue a €30 million, 6 month consultants report which recommends an extra tax on motorists to pay for all TDs to be chauffeur driven everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    One suspects that the results were either rigged or a little extra harsh, purely to drive home the point. No harm tbh.

Was suspecting the same!

Apart from your woman, who couldn't open the bonnet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

seamus wrote:

There are other interpretations. If Ivor knows as little about driving as he seems to about other areas of transport, that is...

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

seamus wrote:

No harm sure enough. But lets be honest, I suspect if any of you who have been driving for >10 years were given a test, cold turkey, you'd fail. Oh yes, I'd fail also.
    Any of you who did high school math take a test from your teenage son/daughter in the same and you'd probably fail also.
    Why?. One of the things about doing tests is you get good at doing tests and like anything else, understand the "code" it is written in. Now as an adult, you have forgotten the underlying "code", so most of the problems would arise from not understanding the question, not not knowing what the answer is, had you understood the question. One of the problems is as adults we can think of several answers to the same question, not necessarily the "required" or textbook answer, essentially our response is to ask more questions for clarification. eg. we see through the statment, "Bath for a lady with a tin bottom"
    AND laws change while we sleep.

So I would say, without studying sample tests, I'd fail the written one. Of course some of the questions i'd immediately regard as dangerous and wonder even why such exists. eg, reversing about a corner, when driving on and doing a U or 3pt turn where it is safer and is 1000 times better driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

AMurphy wrote:
    Of course some of the questions i'd immediately regard as dangerous and wonder even why such exists. eg, reversing about a corner, when driving on and doing a U or 3pt turn where it is safer and is 1000 times better driving.

The that particular set piece is the only part of your test that demonstrates your ability to control a vehicle while reversing - a necessary skill. If they were to make you slalom through bollards would you be complaining that you never have to do that on real roads?

Dermot

Advertisement