Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPOD vs Zen

• 09-09-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭

"iPOD vs Zen" anybody got any opinions or experience they would like to share with me to help me choose one or other ??

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

I have an Ipod and have found that the majority of legal download sites are using WMA, so if you plan downloading a lot of music, i would not go for an Ipod. That is the only drawback i have found with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi,
    I have the Ipod shuffle, very small but no screen, so crao for searching for your songs. It does not have a radio, it only supports wma files, but you can copy them onto a disc and transfer them to your Ipod.
    During the summer I got a Zen Micro, I have never looked back at the money. It has a screen, radio, voice recorder and lets you use it as removable storage for your computer. The Zen is much better, so I would advice you to get one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

uch wrote:
    "iPOD vs Zen" anybody got any opinions or experience they would like to share with me to help me choose one or other ??

I have my 4th gen ipod about a year now. I wouldn't advise anyone to get one. The device itself is good but it falls on pc connectivity. The whole iTunes setup is rubbish. They make you jump through hoops just to get the damn thing connected properly. I also had the setup software crash XP and in the case of my work pc it didn't reboot and I had to do a restore. I actually just use it with linux now as it is so much easier. You just mount it as a hard drive and work away.
    It shouldn't be that hard as at the end of the day, all it is is a portable hard drive. You should be able to just plug it in and copy files over onto it. But because of all the copy protection and the attempts to lock users into their software tools, they have really damaged the experience in my opinion.
    I got an Archos AV480 a while ago and it is so much easier, just plug it in and do what you want.
    From speaking to people with Zens it seems to be a bit easier although I think they still have their own file browser for the device. Plus the Zens are cheaper and have a removable battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

uch wrote:

Which iPod and Which Zen. Theres a whole load of them. Best if you give us some idea of what you are looking for. Otherwise its like asking how long is a piece of string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There are more brands than these 2 also. Cowan (iAudio) and iRiver, both are better than Apple/Creative in terms of MP3 players in my oppinion.The Cowan iAudio X5 is by far classiest mp3 player on the market at the moment. The iRiver H1XX series with RockBox firmware is the best in terms of an MP3 player (it does have FM, removable Hard Drive, recording features too) but in terms of MP3/General Music playback it's by far the best, crossfade, gapless, optical out, millions of formats supported, great sound quality etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i have the 40g creative Zen for the last few months and i can't complain. it hasn't given me any problems at all (touch wood) battery life is still great and once youget the touchpad right you're sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Which iPod and Which Zen. Theres a whole load of them. Best if you give us some idea of what you are looking for. Otherwise its like asking how long is a piece of string.

I was thinkin of the 20 Gig version of either, as I cant see myself with much more than 10 gig of music that I actually listen to so that leaves me room for expansion.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Do a search, this about the 20th thread on this topic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

i have an ipod. get a zen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

4Xcut wrote:
    i have an ipod. get a zen

nicely said!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fr_dickbyrne

the ipod is one of the most overhyped gadgets out there!!! I've used Creative hardware for years and recently moved from the old 30GB Zen to the new Zen Sleek and I've never had a problem with either of them over the space of about 3/4 years! most people i know who did go 4 a ipod (because it looked cooler) have had a lot of issues with downloading tracks and just general hardware issues..

I'd recommend a Zen to anyone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Very happy here with my iPods. Don't use iTunes, instead use EphPod for the big one and a Python script on the Shuffle that enables simple drag-and-drop in Windows explorer. That new nano looks very nice indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

My IPOD just broke; was ok, I used the anaphod manager to transfer tunes. ITUNES is crap imo. I'm will not be getting another IPOD. I'm thinking zen micro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

The best one to get is the iRIVER cause you dont need itunes, can just drag n drop and you get more GBs for your money. iPOD wins purely on style, the touch screen is very cool :P

I'm on my second Zen. The first one stopped working after a day. All HD based players seem to be very fragile. Make sure you get a good warranty on it. One thing I'll say about the Zen Micro is the radio isn't very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've had two Zens die on me - one with a hardrive failure and the other with the infamous headphone socket problem. I bought an iPod after the second went and I haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've had no luck with either, I'm gonna jump over to iRiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I bought a Zen micro that I had to exchange within a week coz it had a battery draining issue. To be fair Peats exchanged it there and then.

After 9ish months my 2nd Zen micro has given up the ghost (headphone socket problem) and is currently being RMA'd with no quibbles by creative.

(they have excellent customer support in my experience)

However I cant help feeling that the Ipod Nano has stolen a march over all the other Mp3 player manufacturers. Even though I would have to transcode a lot of my WMA's Im seriously considering get one. Its getting stunning reviews.

Creative and Iriver better respond quickly to the Ipod Nano - if they dont want their market share to get any smaller.....

For those of you that have had Zen's and iPods did you think the Zen sounded better or worse than the iPod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have had both and never noticed that much difference. Wouldn't the quality of the audio files have a bearing on the quality ?

• Advertisement

tallus wrote:
    I have had both and never noticed that much difference. Wouldn't the quality of the audio files have a bearing on the quality ?

Yes, and the earphones...

aye deffo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Get the Zen Sleek.
    Excellent audio, FM radio 20Gb though.
    Apart from that, I would get a Ipod nano if I were you.

got my nano during the week cool gadget :-)

Advertisement