Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tempeh?

• 09-09-2005 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Supposidly tempeh is this super food with loads of great nutrients for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. But I have never seen it for sale. Does anyone know where to get it and how its cooked?

Also don't know where to get tofu, but that's probably just laziness on my behalf!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Supposidly tempeh is this super food with loads of great nutrients for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. But I have never seen it for sale. Does anyone know where to get it and how its cooked?

Also don't know where to get tofu, but that's probably just laziness on my behalf!

Health food shops or Asian stores are the most likely places..
    Tofu is v.easy to get, some of the bigger supermarkets also have it, usually Cauldron brand. The stuff in the asian shops is a lot cheaper, but bear in mind that there are many different styles of tofu so don't be put off if you find one and don't really like it immediately.

I've seen tempeh around but haven't tried it (yet), I think you would use it in a fairly similar way to tofu though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I had tempeh in Canada, it's quite lovely. Where did you see it, Peanut? I'd love to buy some.

vibrant wrote:
    I had tempeh in Canada, it's quite lovely. Where did you see it, Peanut? I'd love to buy some.

You can get it in most of the health stores I think. In Dublin, I saw it yesterday in Nourish on Liffey St. (in a plastic vaccuum pack in the fridge). You might also be able to get it in the Asian food places on Abbey st. or Drury st. I've also seen it packaged in a jar with briny-type stuff, but it didn't look so appealing..

Also Juice restaurant on George's St. serve some dishes that come with the option of tofu or tempeh.

Thanks Peanut! Surprised I never noticed it in Nourish, I must not have been looking so hard. I will have to pick some up this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

Ah! Thanks Peanut! I've got a veggie cookbook with some lovely looking recipes that I can now try out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

I've been meaning to try tempeh too but haven't seen it anywhere. I'll look for it in Nourish.

As for tofu, I can only ever get that in the Asian stores. I've never seen it in supermarkets, except for the silken one. Would Tesco have it? It's just a nightmare having to go into the city to get it all the time.

I bought a block of Blue Dragon tofu in Tesco last week, god was it vile! There is also Cauldron brand, I've seen that in Superquinn, it's much better. Dunnes sometimes sell tofu in with all of the pre-packaged salads, I have seen it but not tried that brand yet.

As for the tempeh, picked up a block yesterday. And, as luck would have it, I found a recipe for tempeh ratatuille... I'll make it this week and share it with you if it's tasty.

Finally, they also sell seiten (possibly spelled wrong, but unfortunately pronounced "satan") in Nourish - has anyone tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

I've bought the Tofu in Dunnes...is a big block and seemed to taste as good as any I've had in restaurants..but I wouldn't be an expert on it... the Blue dragon pack seemed very expensive in comparison. Have just tried freezing it for the first time..It did improve the taste imo but i didn't think the texture was really any firmer than usual. So far I've only used it in fairly spicey dishes like balti curry and have to say I like it. Guess is just a matter of taste :-)

The Blue Dragon tofu is the silken type, which should only really be used for desserts.

I tried tempeh a few weeks ago. There's a market in Howth and a girl was selling it. I didn't like it that much to be honest

• Advertisement

I made that tempeh ratatuille I mentioned - it was awful! Kinda nutty, but no real taste to it, other than vaguely rice flavoured?

After I cooked it, I remembered how I used to cook it before... and I'd douse it in soy sauce, which probably isn't too good for you (sodium, blood pressure etc.)

The whole "spores growing in it" part is a bit off-putting tbh!!
    Think I'll stick to mostly non-fungal innoculated soya bean foodstuffs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

vibrant wrote:
    They have it in the Health Food shop I work in. It looks foul. I'm afraid of it! Of course, I used to be afraid of tofu too but now I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Seitan is great; it's wheat gluten. It's got an excellent firm texture. You cook it in stock (some form of dashi usually) to flavour it.

You can make it yourself, and I have, but it's agony - you make a massive ball of flour dough and you have to wash all the starch out, leaving only the protein. The amount of energy expended is far more than I believe you could recoup by eating it :)

In other countries you can buy "vital wheat gluten" in shops and you just mix this with water and flavour it to get seitan. It's piss easy. I've tried in healthfood shops here in Galway but they're obsessed with "gluten free". You might as well ask for then to start stocking bags of poison.

K

Advertisement