Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Ripwave

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Blaster99 wrote:
    When you say "no joy", what did they say?

Well they did a line test and it failed. So then I asked is there no way I can get an engineer out here to rectify the situation?

The digiweb guy asked how far I was from the exchange and as I am about 4km, he said he thought I still should be able to get it...then he said well your only alternative is satellite, gave me the cost and I politely said I couldnt afford that, especially when he said it is €790 for installation.

I asked Eircom and BT if their was any plans to provide bb here and they said no and that I was either too far from exchange, the line was split, or there wasnt enough copper wire in our line. Again they seemed to be able to offer no means of altering/rectifying the situation.

A pain in the arse really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't know what it is with Irish ISP's and their useless websites, but I don't seem to be able to link to a BT press release that promises that they will send out an engineer.

Do this: Go to btireland.com. At the bottom of the home page, click on Media Centre. On that page you'll see a press release from 1st June 2005 entitled "BT Increases Broadband Availability". Read that.

Then call up BT and don't take **** from them.

Only just saw your post, Blaster99. I will do that when I get a chance and report back.

I called Clearwire out of interest and they arent available in my area either...

Rang BT today and spoke to someone, (finally after waiting for 15mins) mentioning the press release.

All he did was pass the buck, saying I need an Eircom engineer as they own the line, etc. He has given me a no. for Eircom Wholesale to ask if they have plans to upgrade it or if they can come out at all...

Its a bloody joke really...

So that BT press release was just hot air then. Goodie.

Unfortunately, Eircom has never stated in a press release that they will fix lines. But there's an interview with David McRedmond of Eircom here: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single4824. And he mentions the amber programme. I would say you will have a struggle to get Eircom to do this because my understanding is that their sales staff have no idea about this stuff. There have been people here who have been transferred to some kind of complaints dept after shouting down the phone and they have seemingly gotten an engineer involved.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I had a read of that article and notice it mentions "4pc-5pc of lines from an exchange cannot receive broadband. On the line-splitting issue, he said that this was a problem that only ComReg could solve because currently Eircom has no economic incentive to replace the split line."

I mean it isnt f***ing rocket science is it Comreg? If someone places a broadband order, get the line upgraded, and just put a clause in the contract they sign with whichever provider that a) They agree to stay with that provider for a period of time such that it gives both Eircom and the provider an economic return and b) if necessary incorporating a commission for Eircom to cover their having upgraded the line in the first place, followed by c) a marketing campaign to all other customers who are able to get broadband as a result of that upgrade, with some promotional offer if necessary.

I will see how I get on with Eircom Wholesale and will complain if I have to.

Those 4-5% are beyond 4.5km's. The upshot of that article is that David McRedmond guarantees that anyone who's not on a pair-gained line within 4.5km's of an exchange can get broadband. And in reality, there's no reason why you couldn't get it. It's just a matter of getting Eircom off their arses, and unfortunately it's not an easy task. It shouldn't be this difficult.

So...Eircom Wholesale passed me on to Eircom Broadband sales who said I had to be within 3km of the exchange.

The good Mr McRedmond was obviously talking bollocks. No bb for me...

Did you have any luck finding somebody else in the vicinity with ADSL or with a line that passes? Try the phone numbers of nearby pubs for instance. 3km's is complete bollocks.

Nearest pub is The Meetings. Tried their no. and failed. Tried the neighbours numbers and failed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement