Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J.D. Salinger

Options
  • 09-09-2005 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Evenin' all,
    I'm relatively new to the literature forum and there's already a lot of talk about "Catcher In The Rye" present but, without going off topic in another thread, I was wondering if any of ye ventured any further into Salinger's work and what ye thought of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I liked "Franny and Zooey" a lot. Salinger has a gift for making something powerful out of nothing much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I havent yet but I've been wanting to get into some of Salinger's work.Can you recommend any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Franky Boy wrote:
    I havent yet but I've been wanting to get into some of Salinger's work.Can you recommend any?

Well, there isn't too much of it available - all I know of are "Franny and Zooey", "Seymour - An Introduction/Raise High The Roofbeam, Carpenters" and "For Esme - With Love And Squalor" (Also known a "Nine Stories"). I'd recommend them all to be honest but I suppose "For Esme - With Love And Squalor" is as good a place as any to begin - the first short story is simply unforgettable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've read "Franny and Zooey" which I liked a lot and was the main reason I went on to read "Catcher in the Rye" which I didn't like at all. I've not investigated anything else yet but I might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

^^ you should read Raise High The Roofbeams if you liked Franny + Zooey

• Advertisement
Advertisement