Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go"

Options
  • 09-09-2005 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

i see his kazuo ishiguro's latest book "never let me go" is on the booker short list. i was thinkig of getting it a while back when it was released but never got around to it. does anyone have any opinions in whether it is worth the read? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I have it for ages sitting in a backlogged 'to read' pile. estimated time until i'll be able to give you an opinion is 16 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sorry, missed my estimate by a long time, finished it about three weeks ago. It is worth the read but don't expect to be bowled over by any means. I've talked to a few people about it, including a friend of mine who is a literary critic for the Irish Times and he didn't like it. I found it worthwhile, but only barely. It strikes me as a book that only got the level of attention it did due to the Author's strong portfolio. I think if you are reading your first Ishiguro book, the Remains of the Day is recommended far ahead of this, but if you're a fan or generally like his stuff, have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have to say I really liked it. It's not as good as Remains of the Day but it's a very different beast. I liked the way how he mixed this very ordinary memoir type setting with something completely extraordinary and terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I liked the structure of the book, and Ishiguro is good at slowly unfolding characters and the relationships between them. The "other" story was dealt with quite well, although the mystery plot devices were starting to annoy me as I neared the end.

It reminded me quite a bit of Cat's Eye (the book I harp on about incessantly :D), but was infinitely more readable. Overall, I liked it a lot, and it is a marked departure from his other work, in a good way.

Advertisement