Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you up to in TY?

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Since there doesn't seem to be a suiting forum *cough*, thought I'd post it here.

So what weird and wonderful subjects and activities is your class up to?
    And how does everyone feel about the choice to do/not do TY?

On our timetable, we've got some pretty interesting and new subjects; Japanese, Photography, Cooking (new to me and my school anyway) and Media Studies.

And yesterday we went to Blessington Activity Centre (I think it's called), in Wicklow. That was good fun.
    So far I'm glad I chose to do TY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I'm thinking about doing TY.On one hand...It is a year off and i would be very young doing my LC.But i am worried about forgetting all my irish and stuff..

Any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Well you'd still have Irish classes to I don't think you'd forget your Irish.

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Since there doesn't seem to be a suiting forum *cough*, thought I'd post it here.

So what weird and wonderful subjects and activities is your class up to?
    And how does everyone feel about the choice to do/not do TY?

On our timetable, we've got some pretty interesting and new subjects; Japanese, Photography, Cooking (new to me and my school anyway) and Media Studies.

And yesterday we went to Blessington Activity Centre (I think it's called), in Wicklow. That was good fun.
    So far I'm glad I chose to do TY.
    Well every Tuesday and Thursday we have different activites and then in February they change. For this half of the year I'm doing Cookery on Tuesdays and Photography on Thursdays. From February on I'll have Drama on Tuesdays and TV Production on Thursdays. Then ther's the Greek trip in June and other assorted things: Work Experience, Community Care, Form trip, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

i say do ty! it's such a great experence and you won't forget any of the stuff you already because schools generally keep up the "core subjects" so you won't forget any of the important ****. i'm doin lc now and i'm so glad i did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Well when i did it two years ago i had my doubts as the same as anyone else.I actually did enjoy most of the year and im not going to regret doing it but some of our "Extra curriculum"or what ever you call them were plain,boring and uselsess.I did like humanities however and i put 100% in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

I'm loving TY at the moment! We do all the standard subjects (Irish, Maths etc) but we get to have triple classes, like triple Speech and Drama. We've started so many projects already, like designing costumes for various parades, organising talent shows, and in May we're off to the European Space Agency for astronaut training!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

im also loving TY :)
    looking forward to next wednesday as well but all in all less to do (not in a bad way)
    i have taken up European Studies and Video Editing for my TY subjects and im liking them, my older subjects have also got more interesting. I'm getting more time to improve my German further and become more fluent in it (teachers good and encourages class conversation in German and doesnt give too much hw). I have also got more time to dedicate more of my time to doing music. Im taking part in the musical "Grease" this year and im hoping to enter into the Wesley Interschools Festival (couldnt do it last year because of mocks =/) but this year seems good alrite :)
    have fun all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

4 classes of catering on fridays! 4! Yay! Apart from that the only interesting thing I'm doing this module is Spanish. But I will get to do Journalism. I can't wait! But wed on't get to woodwork because the school we were supposed to be going to for it couldn't organise it. And I was sooooooo looking forward to that!
    Oh, and does anyone do Form and Fusion? Because my school does, but I just heard that CocaCola pulled out of being the sponsors and it may not go ahead... :eek:

Form and Fusion was one of the main reasons I wanted to do TY, when class found out about Coca-Cola pulling out in July, I was absoloutely gutted!!! *sighs*

*MmmPie* wrote:
    Form and Fusion was one of the main reasons I wanted to do TY, when class found out about Coca-Cola pulling out in July, I was absoloutely gutted!!! *sighs*

So its true?? DAMN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Anyone doing photography - I'm jealous.

However, my subjects aren't too bad. Doing Philosophy, Spanish, Technology Enterprise Development.. Japanese, Drama, Self Defence, Catering. Obviously not all at once.

Also we're doing a Film Studies day where we get to make short films. W00t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

I'm really enjoying TY. I'm taking European Studies and continuing French, and I'm also doing photography (I'm loving it SO much!) and Drama. After Christmas some subjects change so I'll be doing Home Ec and Dance.

I'm even enjoying PE! Which is new for me.

The only complaint I would have is that in history at the moment we're doing the Famine in Ireland and it's sooooooo boring. I hate it. Other than that, YAY TY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

*MmmPie* wrote:
    and in May we're off to the European Space Agency for astronaut training!
    :eek:
    Really?
    Where is that?

Europe's Spaceport is situated in the northeast of South America in French Guiana, an overseas department of France.
    no way are they bringing you to south america :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    damn cool if they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I dont think my school does all these cool subjects.I am really thinking about doing TY.I think i will do it. :D
    I hope i get to do photography. :rolleyes:

Strokesa wrote:
    So its true?? DAMN!!!
    Aye, it be true.

Diarmsquid wrote:
    :eek:
    Really?
    Where is that?

It's in Brussels! Can't wait! :D

now it makes sense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Wait, Mysteryfish, you're ENJOYING PE?! Who are you, and what have you done with the Pan I knew and loved?

On topic, I'm doing Judo (Which is fun, except for the backwards roll handstands, which aren't!) and music, where we're writing our own song. After Christmas, I'm doing crafts and bridge. (YAY!) Ooh, and in history we're doing a project on Alexander the Great, and his influences on managment techniques!

I wanna be an astronaut.
    Why doesn't my school teach us to go to space?

I feel your pain.

• Advertisement

Diarmsquid wrote:
    I wanna be an astronaut.
    Why doesn't my school teach us to go to space?
    /me offers to smuggle Diarmquid (in suitcase) to Brussels

Hey, being an astronaut was my dream first! Sure, I'll be harder to smuggle, but try goddammit!

I wanna come to! I'd also like to be an astronaut....well, kinda. But I don't want to miss out! Better get a big suitcase!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flashling wrote:
    bridge
    The card game? :eek:

Yes! I can't wait :D If I start now, I'll be a bridge master by the time I'm a little old lady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Aptitude tests...ooh the excitement... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I think the only thing that the TY's in my school do is pick up rubbish

CoolCiaran wrote:
    I think the only thing that the TY's in my school do is pick up rubbish
    Cool. Well-worth the experience then.

Flashling wrote:
    Yes! I can't wait :D If I start now, I'll be a bridge master by the time I'm a little old lady!
    We're starting bridge too, and (though I'm ashamed to admit it!), its so much fun! But complicated. But still. Yaay for Bridge and other little-old-lady card games! Ahem.

And I shall make sure to bring a gigantic suitacse with me btw...

• Advertisement

Just learned today that we're doing Criminology- the study of Crime, criminals, preventing crime and the phsycologly of it all.
    Interesting.

Advertisement