Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you up to in TY?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hiss! Psychology is a science! Psychology puts the science into brain surgery!

And no, as far as I know, some subjects are fine to take up. It may just be a bit trickier, but since they, *cough*, have to reteach you certain things the 'correct, yeah, the JC syllabus lied to you' way, it should be okay.

Then again, I have no first hand experience of this and could be talking out of my hat. If only I had one...

Thinking about it, though, I mean.. you could take up art no problem if you're artistic, same for music if you do music, stuff like that. Taking up a language, though... I wouldn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

still definetly not the subject for me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I did a course in psychology. One night I had to write a 10 page field report. =)
    It was psychologicly off-putting? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Taking up a language, though... I wouldn't do that.
    Yes, taking up a completely new subject in 5th year is a challenge, but not insurmountable.

A friend took up French at the start of sixth year and passed. He's now an engineer (foreign language needed for many university courses).

encouraging ;)

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    It was psychologicly off-putting? :D
    Physically, mostly. =P My hand was not happy after that. Because my hand has emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Going ice-skating tomorrow.
    I love ice-skating. Although 'twould be better if we were going to Smithfield instead of the RDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BlueRollingPin

The school is taking us on a fourth year Christmas outing this Monday! We're going to the cinema to see The Family Stone (much to my vexation as I wanted to go and see Narnia) and then ice skating at the RDS! It'll be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

first and foremost: Flashling, im with you! philosophers til the end! you must have done it ses1? actually, i know your ses1 from the ctyi board....shh....
    so yeah, TY is kind of what you make it, in my opinion, and in my school especially, because they dont do anything like bridge*jealous*, but they do have some cool module-type deeleys like light and sound and so on. but basically, you can either feck around doing sh1te all, or you can actually use your time properly.
    did someone mention the interschools feis in wesley?! cause i do it every year,love it, won my main competition last year(awww yeah:cool:),and both of our choirs tend to clean up:p, and i realise none of you care, but i got a huge solo in the choir comp this year! yay.
    also,i think i heard rumours about form and fusion being held in my school(kings hospital),so ill keep y'all posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

In my school we get to do a musical with the lads school! Thats the big highlight and I can't wait to do horticulture!!! Should be fun!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

that was far too many exclaimation marks, apple gal. faaaar too many.

that was far too many exclaimation marks, apple gal. faaaar too many.

I know I am trying to cut down on the amount of exclamationa marks I do. I used to do a lot more,it's a slow progress but I think I will be back to the full stops anyday now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Going ice-skating tomorrow.
    I love ice-skating. Although 'twould be better if we were going to Smithfield instead of the RDS.
    I actually preferred the ice skating in the RDS...though when I went it wasn't cold enough so the ice went really watery and it was a bit dodgey alright. For some reason I still preferred it though!

spiderlegs wrote:
    I actually preferred the ice skating in the RDS...though when I went it wasn't cold enough so the ice went really watery and it was a bit dodgey alright. For some reason I still preferred it though!
    Actually you're right. I posted that before I went to either of them this year, but now that I have, I think RDS is better too.

I'm scared of ice skating. I can't wait to do all that fun stuff in 4th year. Sounds so cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

I'm goin' ice skatin' tomorrow!! Hehe it's fun. Heres hopin' I don't fall *crosses fingers*
    Next week I'm off doin' a computer course in DCU...mmm college boys :rolleyes:

So whats the best thing you all have done so far in TY??

We had a pretty cool law course last thursday. I never thought anything law-related could be fun, but it actually was. We got to put on a mock trial and the girl who was the judge got to wear the wig and all.
    I was court registrar, so the entirety of my role involved getting people to say "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...", which, I think, is the sole reason they have court cases at all. That line.

I'm going to Belgium on a trip, which is related to TY because only TY-ians (and 5th years) in my school could go.

There's this cross-border relations thing set up to try and promote tolerance and getting along between the Republic and the North, and they've set up a trip to Belgium for secondary school students.
    6 pupils from a school in the Republic (ie. my school), 6 students from a Catholic school in the North, and 6 students from a Protestant school in the North are going to Belgium for about 4 days, doing "workshops", and going on "excursions". Best part: It's all paid for!
    Anyway, our school was picked to represent the Republic so the teacher in charge of picking asked us to write a page on why we should be picked. I wrote a page full of bull****:

"I think I should be picked to represent the school because I posses a lot of qualities that would enable me to..."

So Tuesday she tells me I'm picked, along with 5 other guys. Very happy with that.
    Don't know what part I'm going to or much about it at all.
    Going in March, I'll be there for Paddy's Day.
    I have to miss a week of my Work Experience though. Still... Should be good fun, can't wait.

If it was me, I'd do the work experience some other time.
    One of my work experience weeks, I could only get it in november, so I just missed a week of school. :)

• Advertisement

thats a good idea, kinda like get the work experience and go on the trip

Advertisement