Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best irish standup?

• 09-09-2005 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

So... who's the best standup in Ireland?
    Personally I think Des Bishop, followed by Tommy Tiernan. I know I'm gonna get stick for being "vanilla" but Des is great, specially his irish observations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Tommy Tiernan is my absolute favourite, cracks me up every time. However the guy we had at freshers week last year was great too. I'll go check google

Found it, David O' Doherty. Interacted so well with the crowd :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Dave Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

I'd have to say

1) Tommy Tiernan
    2) Des Bishop
    3) Ardal O'Hanlon (I saw him live once, he's brilliant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I worked at the cat laughs this year and got to see a lot of them!

Karl spain is pretty funny, Ardal O'Hanlon was great couldn't stop laughing!
    don't really like Des Bishop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think Des is the man! very funny :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Des Bishop by a mile for me. Going to see him for the 4th time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Des Bishop imo is severely overated. He has the occasional funny bit, but in general i dislike him. Dylan Moran is very good. depending on the tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

whats the big deal about Des Bishop. In my opinion he's a joke of a comedian, remember seeing him on that programme with Ed Byrne, and I was just thinking to myself, this chap is not funny. And come here I thought he was from New York so fail to see what he is doing in this thread.
    Has to be Ardal O'Hanlon, or Dara O'Brien. Ye that David O'Doherty is pretty original, anyone who starts a standup routine with a keyboard deserves a mention. Oh yeah forgot Tommy Tiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I've been to see Tommy Tiernan and I couldnt stop laughing from beginning to end. He is the best irish stand up by miles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Jason Byrne is great live.Never liked Tommy Tiernan,he seems to wheeled out on the the Late Late Show every so often to make a 'controversial'* joke.

*Controversial in a Joe Duffy sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just out of interests Is there any Irish comedians out there atm who don't go down the tryed and trusted paths of :

1) "Aren't we Irish peculiar" humour eg Des Bishop, Tommy Tiernan
    2) "Obsure rambling observational" humour eg Dylan Moran, Jason Byrne
    3) "Lets playfully take the mick outta everything" humour eg Darragh o'Brian
    4) "My Girlfriend left me" relationship type humour eg eh .... Everyone else
    5) "Dya ever notice how people leave the lid of the toothpaste?" type humour eg Everyone else who can't get a girlfriend

ie someone who'll do a bit of social commentary ala BillHicks (but without just aping the guy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

biko wrote:
    So... who's the best standup in Ireland?
    roddy23 wrote:
    And come here I thought he was from New York so fail to see what he is doing in this thread.

He's an honourary Irishman at this stage, but the thread asks who is the best in Ireland, not who is the best Irish-born comedian.

Tommy Something, can't think of his surname, is also excellent. He supported Des Bishop for a while, he's from Navan. And no its not Tiernan.

Right so I've seen Billy connolly a few times in Ireland, so does that count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

dylan moran and tommy tiernan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Love Tiernan and Dylan Moran. Bishop is okay. Really enjoyed PJ Gallagher at Electric Picnic, his bit about 'wouldn't it be great to ride your mates' had me in stitches...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Eh, Des Bishop is half Irish, he is now a citizen of Ireland!!!

But anyway...
    I'd say its up between Dara O'Brian, and Karl Spain (havent seen much of him though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

dyan moran. monster dvd is the dogs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Eh, Des Bishop is half Irish, he is now a citizen of Ireland!!!

But anyway...
    I'd say its up between Dara O'Brian, and Karl Spain (havent seen much of him though!)

everyone in the world is at least half irish :D

but if we are talking about irish born i might have to say tommy teirnan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

There is a sickness in this country. It's name: Des Bishop. He's just NOT funny. He plies the most obvious of observational humour to an audience, the kind of stuff that a 7 yr old with two good eyes would see and delivers it with that smug annoying American accent and a smattering of 'hilarious' and woefully bad regional irish accents.. Just bad, bad , bad.

IN my opinon the best stuff I've seen in recent years is from Dylan Moran. That guy knows comedy. And is talented enough to carry on an improv and keep it funny and not let it get boring. Just watch 'Monster'!

Tommy Teirnan is great.
    Ardal O'Hanlon can be very funny.
    Dave Allen's stuff was very funny back in the day. Still is in fact.
    D'Unbelievables used be very funny...but maybe only to country folk.
    Karl Spain from what I've heard has good potential to become really good.
    Jason Byrne in small doses.

Well, that's my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't believe no ones mentioned Sean Hughes. Absolutely hilarious.

Dave Allen, Ardal O'Hanlon and Dylan Moran are the only other Irish comedians who are truly world class, although I did see a Jimeoin (sp.?) routine on Paramount the other night and it had me in stitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Tommy Something, can't think of his surname, is also excellent. He supported Des Bishop for a while, he's from Navan. And no its not Tiernan.

Tommy Nicholson....Oh I don't like him. I saw him in the International recently and his act seemed a bit too forced and verged on the manical.

My favourite Irish comedians are Neil Delamere and Jason Byrne, they're hilarious!

Here's a review I found of Tommy which I would have to agree with:

"It's the sign of a good joke if it's funny even when you don't understand the reference.

Nicholson, on the other hand, relies on the fact that his Irish hometown of Navan is inherently funny - and that's it. If you have no idea of Navan's intrinsic comedic value, his set will leave you cold. If, like him, you think very mention if its name is hilarious, even for the 97th time in one set, you'll be in comedy heaven.

From his material, you get the impression that the town is a pikey stronghold, full of coarse council-estate losers. But it's other claim to fame is as the birthplace of the suave Pierce Brosnan - so the stereotype is blatantly nonsense.

Nicholson's entire set is of the 'what if this film/song/celebrity was based in Navan?' variety. Though 'variety' is probably the wrong word - this is strictly a one-gag, one-dimensional, one-laugh affair.

It's all charmlessly done, too, Nicholson simply shouts his material, and classily refers to women as bitches and 'who-ers'.

But the most depressing thing about this witless stuff is how well it goes down with his audience."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Nyone see this lunatic on the streets or on the latelate? Seen him on the streets in cork and bought his dvd. last time i laughed so much at a dvd was tommy tiernans "cracked". only thing was you could see he is really more suited to street performing, he started to forget himself a bit and some parts were very poor and the rest were crazy funny.

Tommy tiernan and Dylan Moran best standups, Des Bishop is ok for standup but more suited to taking the piss out of knackers and scumbags on tele

PS. We still didn't forget what he said bout waterford on tv!! in fairness what did he expect workin nights in an abrakababera, ffs, it's the same everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Tiernan's alright. And I did get enjoyment out of his first dvd. And seeing him live but his material is always the same. Needs to work on some new stuff, big time. The new dvd is alot of the same re-hashed.

Actually surprised at how well Dylan Moran's come along with his standup. Always figured him as a sitcom type after black books, but the standup isnt too shabby, at all...

what do people think of Andrew Maxwell, totally forgot him, he has some good material, but he's never touring Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

eth0_ wrote:
    My favourite Irish comedians are Neil Delamere and Jason Byrne, they're hilarious!

Neil Delamere is brilliant, he's the MC for bray comedy club and a lot of the time he's funnier than the main acts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Des Bishop & Ed Byrne.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Tommy T is one of the best by a mile, see him in vicar street and it was class. I was in pain half was through.

Not a sean Hughes fan at all

That Mee guy from Cork is excellent.

And Dylan Moran's 'Monster' is just about the funniest DVD ever.

Don't really like him, but does Jimmy Carr qualify? I know he hasn't retained much of the accent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

That Mee guy from Cork is excellent.

And Dylan Moran's 'Monster' is just about the funniest DVD ever.

Don't really like him, but does Jimmy Carr qualify? I know he hasn't retained much of the accent...

Jimmy carr?? Is he not 100% English?? :confused:

he is funny though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

David O'Doherty is hilarious! Des Bishop's good and of course Tommy Tiernan is fantastic!

Advertisement