Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mars volta

Options
  • 09-09-2005 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone please explain to me why the whole world isn't falling to their knees in worship of this band. de-loused was all i listened to for literally six month yet i'm a one man fan club

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

cantdecide wrote:
    can anyone please explain to me why the whole world isn't falling to their knees in worship of this band.

Because they're ****ing terrible. They play the same middle of the road nonsense as just about any other new 'indie/garage' band at the mo (kaiser chiefs,killers, etc, etc), except they stick in a few 'kerazay' random noises in the middle to add 'layers' to their music or some bull****.

cantdecide wrote:
    de-loused was all i listened to for literally six month yet i'm a one man fan club

Those must have been a rough six months, listening to that steaming pile of ****e of an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I thought they were Prog rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

They are prog and very good at that. I gets the feeling mickydoomsux hasn't listened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Beekay wrote:
    I thought they were Prog rock.
    Someone told me they were prog rock too, but I don't really see where they were coming from; doesn't sound like prog rock to me.

In my opinion, they're alright, but they tend to get wildly overrated by fans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

If you're not a fan of them, fair enough but how you figure they're the same as the Kaiser Chiefs or The Killers is beyond me.
    Deloused is an amazing album, I still can't get enough of it, Frances The Mute is much harder to get into but very rewarding. I still don't enjoy it as much as Deloused, but I'm getting there,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

At the drive-in were a far better band and I think Sparta are better than them too.

flogen wrote:
    If you're not a fan of them, fair enough but how you figure they're the same as the Kaiser Chiefs or The Killers is beyond me.

Because as i said before, imho, they play the same middle of the road crap except with a few random noises throw in to add 'depth'. (that's also where people got the whole prog rock vibe from)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jesus mickey. do you even know who we're talking about? you seem to have them confused with someone else completely. kaiser chiefs and killers??? i advise you to at least know what you're talking about before spouting some crap you mis-heard down the boozer.

The Mars Volta have never claimed to be prog rock, you just decided they did.

If you can't tell the difference in style between TMV and The Killers I'd suggest you stop listening to music altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Well - Volta played Witness '03, about a week before they released Deloused and I was an instant fan. I've never really liked Frances the Mute much, it sounds like they took too much acid, but Deloused is still one of my favourite albums, not least because it reminds me of their stonking, but all too short, set.

Since the search function's been disabled AFAIK, you can't search volta at the moment, but if you could, you'll find that they are, in fact, very popular indeed around here, but they're not up to much at the moment so there's little to talk about...

• Advertisement

i think they scare people off with those pretentious interludes but they're just epic pieces of music. it's like listening to tool- completely absorbing. i'm not completely sold on francis. it's as if it doesn't work as a collection of music, even though it's great music. a chemistry problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Because as i said before, imho, they play the same middle of the road crap except with a few random noises throw in to add 'depth'. (that's also where people got the whole prog rock vibe from)

Do you actually know what or who you're talking about or are you just making things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The "prog rock vibe" is because they are, in fact, progressive, using odd time signatures and such like. At leats know whatever you're trying to ****e on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They do absolutely nothing for me. At The Drive-In did nothing for me either. Sparta were ok but nothing special. I don't get this whole Kaiser Chiefs, Killers comparisons. I don't think they're special but at least they have talent.

Flipping heck. Lot of negativity coming back there.

Was just saying in my opinion the band aren't that good.

I have noticed a similar trend when talking to people about this band before, people get way to touchy about any criticism of them.

Oh well, each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

/me spins up Deloused in the Comatorium

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

I'm really enjoy At The Drive-in's work, but by God, the Mars Volta are unlistenable. Their music is nothing more than ponderous, self-indulgent nonsense. One review of their second album stated that the only people who would enjoy it were those who had consumed a large quantity of drugs beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

No, even that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Was just saying in my opinion the band aren't that good.

No you weren't just saying that, you were making flippant remarks about them sounding like The Killers or The Kaiser Cheifs.

mickey. you slipped up bud. you exposed yourself for knowing nothing about what you were ranting about, with no negativity from the rest of us you've made yourself look foolish, case closed-move on.

TMV haven't changed my life or anything but i've started to look differently at formula based songy songs. a lot of what is out there at the moment is fairly low-brow by comparison even if TMV are self indulgent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

i listen to tons of muisc and the mars volta are by far the most interesting act i've ever heard.. I can see why people don't like them, they have a tendancy to be a bit random and just plain weird at times..

though de-loused from an engineering perspective was amazing.. not many bands bother to go to their lengths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i hereby declare that tmv are amazing!
    i can completely understand how other people detest them tho, but the people i meet that cant listen to them tend not to be really as much into their music as tmv fans are.
    they are the most technically awesome band if you are into that stuff, take their guitarist omar for example. with at the drive-in you could hear that he wanted to be different from your average rock guitarist, i think he found himself in tmv, and imo is the most original guitarist in the world!
    and thats just the guitar, i could rant on about the quality of the drummer here all day....

anybody going to the nightmare before christmas in england in december? tmv are curators of it. i was planning on going but silly me, i broke my neck!

cantdecide wrote:
    mickey. you slipped up bud. you exposed yourself for knowing nothing about what you were ranting about, with no negativity from the rest of us you've made yourself look foolish, case closed-move on.

I was expressing an opinion. That opinion being that i think TMV aren't very good and sound like alot of what already knocking about at the moment with, admittedly, a bit of variation on the theme thrown in. How can i not know what i'm talking about if it's just my opinion that the band aren't that good? I know what my own opinion is.

Also there was negativity from certain posters (not yourself):
    At leats know whatever you're trying to ****e on about.
    Giblet wrote:
    Do you actually know what or who you're talking about or are you just making things up?

And my favourite:
    flogen wrote:
    If you can't tell the difference in style between TMV and The Killers I'd suggest you stop listening to music altogether.

It's pretty sad that people are getting so riled up about me not agreeing with the statement you made in your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes, but you're opinion, that they sound generic, like the Killers and such like, is bull****, as they don't whatsoever, and to claim they do is completely ignorant of music.

It's pretty sad that people are getting so riled up about me not agreeing with the statement you made in your first post.

Here's the deal. I like The Mars Volta, I really like them.
    You don't. Does that bother me? Fúck no. The reason why I said you shouldn't listen to music anymore is because you obviously haven't got very good listening skills if you can't tell the difference between TMV and The Killers. Now, I'm not demanding you should like TMV or hate The Killers, for example, I hate Craig David and I hate The Spice Girls but I can see a vast difference in their musical stylings.
    You can disagree with me all you want, be it out of true opinion or a need to be different but at least try to know what you're on about and not base your opinion on nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The Mars Volta and The Killers are very dissimilar.

While they are caught up in the same hype and billings here and there, they are hardly the same musical soundings of Kaiser Chiefs etc.

Do I like them? Not really. Tad bit pretencious and their music isn't that fullfilling imo. Although seeing them in the tent at Witnness 2003 was worthwhile, put on an fantastic show. Don't know if I'd have the same opinion now.

Funnily enough, I definetly prefer the more "punk" offspring of At the Drive-In (Sparta).

flogen wrote:
    You can disagree with me all you want, be it out of true opinion or a need to be different but at least try to know what you're on about and not base your opinion on nothing.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that i think TMV sound pretty much like the vast majority of alternative bands at the moment. Fair enough if the originated the sound but it doesn't change the fact that it's fairly insipid listening material.

Suppose i should have know what i was getting into at the first post:
    cantdecide wrote:
    can anyone please explain to me why the whole world isn't falling to their knees in worship of this band. de-loused was all i listened to for literally six month yet i'm a one man fan club

That's inviting people to both agree or disagree in my eye's and yet when i voice my opinion i get abused by a number of fan's of the band. Makes you wonder why the topic was started in the first place. It'd be pretty pointless if it's only purpose was to get everyone to post about how much they love TMV.

Perhaps a poll would have been better. :confused:

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that i think TMV sound pretty much like the vast majority of alternative bands at the moment. Fair enough if the originated the sound but it doesn't change the fact that it's fairly insipid listening material.

Suppose i should have know what i was getting into at the first post

No, your opinion is based on your opinion. In my opinion your opinion is mis-educated.
    How The Mars Volta sound like The Killers is baffling, their songs are a totally different style, length and depth. The singers don't even sound similar.
    This is a thread started by a fan, so expect fans to respond, and expect them to challenge your blind comments too.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not having a go because you don't like TMV, each to their own. I'm just pretty certain you haven't heard much of their stuff (or perhaps The Killers) if you think they sound the same.

Right so. This is a waste of all our time.

Let's agree to disagree. We'll say i won the argument (joking :) ) and i'll stay away from anything with the words 'Mars' and 'Volta' on it anymore.

/craves Mars bar

/Waits for hoard of TMV fans to declare victory and post things such as "That showed him" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Saying you don't like them is fair enough, but saying they sound anything like The Killers,Kaiser Chiefs or any of these other simplistic bands is just wrong and shows that you don't know a thing about music,

in my opinion they are one the most original bands around

Advertisement