Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engraving Art

• 10-09-2005 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭

Does anyone else do this?

It's a piece of cardboard with a picture imprinted onto it. You scrape along the picture to reveal the colours underneath.
    They come in copper, silver, gold, rainbow and holographic pics.

If anyone knows a good stcokist or can provide a link I'd be really grateful. I love doing them but find it very hard to get hold of.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i remember doing that when i was small, you'd use all the various bright colours (wax crayons) and then go over it with black and use something like a nail to scratch a design into it.

i saw one or two in the art and hobby shop(silver and gold ones) but i doubt they have that large a selection, whick is probably what your looking for. normally they do tigers and stuff like that. it might be worth your while seeing if eason's on O'Connell street sells any stuff cos they 'v got a decent selection of arty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

Thanks.

I'm not actually living in Dublin but I do go up there regularly.
    I checked Easons during the week and not a sniff of them anywhere.

Ideally, I'd love to get hold of a number or site where I can order them and have them delivered.

Thanks for taking the time tho:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Saw some today in Cork Arts Supplies, which has a website for home delivery. They were kits in copper and silver but no tools included. I have never done them myself so can't exactly recommend.

Are the tools expensive?

Thank you smileygal.

Do you know the weh address of the company?

I've never had to buy the tool separately but I doubt it costs alot. Its just a plastic handle shaped like a pencil with a sharpened metal on the end.

there's places that sell some of the stuff your looking for in stores in Galway and Co Mayo http://www.ksg.co.uk/f_cat.html see under art foil (copper/ gold/ bronze), i don;t know if this is what your looking for as the site seems to be marketed at kids although the designs look nice.

also try the irish version of e-bay they seem to have a good selection of stuff that seems pretty cheap http://search.stores.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?query=art+foil&srchdesc=y&sid=134636183&store=BARGAIN+CRAFTS+R+US&colorid=-1&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Here's a method I learnt in college and absolutely loved the effect it gave.

Get your paper and cover it completely with charcoal. Get it nice and black. Then using an eraser, draw your picture!!! When finished, get some hairspray, the cheaper the better and seal the picture by spraying it over it.

I did a life drawing piece in college. My favorite piece in my portfolio I think. I love it!! :)

Warning though - can be pretty messy with the charcoal and the rubbing away of it.

it's really hard to get charcoal not to smudge even when you spray it, i always find it makes my picture turn to a duller shade of black . Great idea with the eraser though, those big putty rubbers are the best :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

meow wrote:
    Thank you smileygal.

Do you know the weh address of the company?

I've never had to buy the tool separately but I doubt it costs alot. Its just a plastic handle shaped like a pencil with a sharpened metal on the end.

http://www.corkartsupplies.com/store/

We should all be on commission! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 artsalive

To Meow!
    I love engraving art! I buy a lot of mine from eBay. I have done several and my favorite one I completed was a picture of owl in gold foil.

Have you found resources?

Thanks All :)

I found some in Jervis Street Shopping Centre in The Art & Hobby Shop.
    They carry the gold, silver & copper collections as well as the holographic, rainbow and glow in the dark lot.

Never tried the owl Arts, but thanks for the tip! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MF2HD

as far as I can remember the argos catalogue of all things has a selection of them in this edition.

Advertisement