Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding?

• 10-09-2005 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi

I'm currently with eircom bb, (waiting for smart or metro to go live in my area) and I have a Netopia 3347wg router.

I'm currently working on a J2EE website and use a jboss server, I've tried unsuccessfully to allow my pc to act as the server and let people use my IP to check progress on the site.

the truth is I need a lot of testing done at this stage and i'm still a good while off launching this site so I don't really want to fork out $50 p.m. on hosting if i can use my own connection for testing.

Has any had any success doing this with their eircom line and router?

If anyone has any advice i'd really appreciate your help.

Cheers

B2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I don't know how to solve your problem but $50p/m for hosting :eek:
    Try HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

kaizersoze wrote:
    I don't know how to solve your problem but $50p/m for hosting :eek:
    Try HERE

Cheers but I need server that can handle jBoss, the cheapest they have is $99 p.m.

Thats why I'd like to get my pc to do it and save me some dollars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

all you have to to is set your server on you lan( whether that be one computer or 100 computers),

if it's a web server it will be listening on tcp port 80, then go into the admin pages of the modem and setup a nat/pinhole/port forward rule to send all tcp port 80 request on your wan interface to the ip address of the machine setup as the server

the problem is, if you are getting a new ip address every time you turn on your router you have to type that ip address in the web broswer

also beware of on the modem of allways on connections/ instant on connection, you will need the connection to be always on

is that any clearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

To get over the issue that p2kone mentions regarding the ip address changing, use a dynamic dns service like no-ip.com. They provide software that will check the WAN IP address of your router on a regular basis.

Okay, you'll probably need a domain name as well but you can get one of those really cheaply!

Ok i'l admit traight up that i'm not very good when it comes to networking.

I'm not too worried about the the dynamic ip, its not going to be a peranent setup anyway.

but i just don't seem to be able to set up my router? I've tried to follow the instructios here but to no joy.

• Advertisement

hey i got it, can't believe it was so hard :rolleyes: I simply switched off the firewall and hey presto!!

Thanks for all the help

Advertisement