Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: Loon's "mad idea" might actually work

• 10-09-2005 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

loon's idea of a connection between ancient Egypt and Lost, based on the Egyptian hieroglyphs of Anubis that are in caves in Hunter Valley 100 miles north of Sydney got me thinking.

Assuming the wormhole/portal theory connecting the international date line to the crossing point of the equator and GMT line south west of nigeria is correct, perhaps this portal has moved over time allowing ancient Egyptians to be transported to mainland Australia.

Or perhaps its position is static and the Egyptians got transported to the island by ship, which allowed them to escape the island and get to Australia, where they made the hieroglyphs?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

if you follow the wormhole/portal theory... where do you think they are? by its very nature a wormhole would have had to have transported them several light years (basic quantum physics) meaning they could not be on earth... and they would also be, as it were, in our future.

oh god... i think i can link the two...

... (fantasy route though)... lets suggest that they have gone through a portal to an alternate reality, in our world they are dead, but on the island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That-Is-Interesting-Fall_asleep.jpg

:D

Keep all Lost Theories to the specified Lost Theories thread!

... also, don't the CIA have mad satellites that can see all... meaning that if they had crashed on earth, they could be found??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

"Satellites can look and see... but they need to be told where to look"

Or something along those lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

steveland? wrote:
    "Satellites can look and see... but they need to be told where to look"
    Yep. An exact quote from Sayid in the Pilot where Charlie asked the same question!

• Advertisement

yes, but if they follow the flight path from sydney, they should find them...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

loon wrote:
    yes, but if they follow the flight path from sydney, they should find them...

But they were 1000 odd miles off course though...

forget the globe and look at the earth atlas style. draw the flight path between sydney and lax and using last transmission time work out how long and therefore how far they have flown. using this radius, starting from sydney, you will have your search zone, it will be huge, but at least it will be there... so the satellites will know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

loon wrote:
    forget the globe and look at the earth atlas style. draw the flight path between sydney and lax and using last transmission time work out how long and therefore how far they have flown. using this radius, starting from sydney, you will have your search zone, it will be huge, but at least it will be there... so the satellites will know where to look.
    That an area of 3,141,593 square miles or 8,136,688 square km. A satellite with a resolution of 10,000 square metres* would need to take over 813 million images to cover that entire area. That not really practical for a search.

* Note: 10,000 square metres is not 10 square km. 1000 square metres = 0.01 square km

i said it would be huge... but it depends on how much the airline values life, etc...

... also, i must say that not the womhole, but the portal theory is quite interesting. given the location of the island (but unfortunately not the date), the flight path does coincide with polar energetics

• Advertisement

you see... now you've got me thinking. using the location of celestial pyramids and cross referencing them with polar energetics (assuming we look at polar energetics as a physical not just electro-magnetic) 4 8 15 and 16 give us the base (on earth) 23 would be the apex (in space) meaning that 42 would be the portal destination, but god knows where that would be (23 would also be an unknown location but i'm speculating for theory sake.)

however, with regards to standard quantum geometry you need 6 points (imagine a cube in 3d with each face being the factor), so the numbers could merely be the quantum co-ordinates, but without a constant and a point of origin theres no real way of determining where the point in space is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Why is everyone goin on about all this Egyptian, Wormhole, Purgatory and all this equally mad crap. Youre all wasting your time. What is the point in making a programme where the viewers have already worked their asses off to find the solution before you show the finale. Youre trying to spoil the very thing that entertains you. Just sit back and enjoy the show.The whole beauty and appeal of LOST is that when you are shown something you didnt realise you say " Oh Wow now it all makes sense. But for all the people who try to figure out the solution theyre just going to be like " Oh yeah I knew that.Why should you work to find the solution when the producers have. Its like filing a cabinet thats already been filed :D If the producers actually do use that theory everyone would just be like WTF. My theory is that they crashed because they had a shit pilot. Simple as that and everyone can understand it. Peace out!

surely the plane crashed because the tail end broke off...

... and what about oceanic-air.com and flight815.com ?

why have websites with cryptic hints???

loon wrote:
    surely the plane crashed because the tail end broke off...QUOTE]

Or that

Sweet wrote:
    Why is everyone goin on about all this Egyptian, Wormhole, Purgatory and all this equally mad crap. Youre all wasting your time. What is the point in making a programme where the viewers have already worked their asses off to find the solution before you show the finale. Youre trying to spoil the very thing that entertains you. Just sit back and enjoy the show.The whole beauty and appeal of LOST is that when you are shown something you didnt realise you say " Oh Wow now it all makes sense. But for all the people who try to figure out the solution theyre just going to be like " Oh yeah I knew that.Why should you work to find the solution when the producers have. Its like filing a cabinet thats already been filed :D If the producers actually do use that theory everyone would just be like WTF. My theory is that they crashed because they had a shit pilot. Simple as that and everyone can understand it. Peace out!
    Wow, you really don't get it. It's like having this big incredibly hard puzzle that's almost impossible to solve. If you can even get part of it right there'll be great satisfaction that you could figure part of it out.

You on the other hand would seem to prefer to have the producers finish the puzzle for you, give you ocassional updates on their progress before finally revealing the whole thing. There's no fun in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

the reason some of us delve deeply into all these theories etc. is because it's been a while since a tv program has provided us with such depth, intelligence and little hidden treats that we are making the most out of it... I myself don't go to far into formulating theories but I find it interesting to see the connections people come up with... and with Lost, there are a lot.. despite the theories I've seen, I'm still confident I'll be pleased and surprised with what transpires

yeah I suppose you have a point

OFDM wrote:
    Wow, you really don't get it. It's like having this big incredibly hard puzzle that's almost impossible to solve. If you can even get part of it right there'll be great satisfaction that you could figure part of it out.

You on the other hand would seem to prefer to have the producers finish the puzzle for you, give you ocassional updates on their progress before finally revealing the whole thing. There's no fun in that.

God why do you take it as a personal insult. Did you not read my post after I said all that stuff in the other thread. I was seeing how many people would be personally offended and of course you were one of the first. I know lots of people like to mingle with theories but whats the point in watching such a great and unpredictable programme when you already know the outcome. God

... the only reason i do it is for ego... if by some made co-incidence it goes all ancient egypt i'm gonna feel great.

Sweet wrote:
    I was seeing how many people would be personally offended and of course you were one of the first.
    What makes you believe i was "insulted"?

Maybe the real reason you're trolling a theory thread is because you're bitter because you're no good at theorising yourself?

If it bothers you so much that we like working out theories then why not go elsewhere? Why does it annoy you so much anyway?

[align=right]pwned[/align]

• Advertisement

just a quicky as i couldn't be bothered to start anew thread...
    do we find out what sawyer's real name is and anything about HIM in any flash backs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

loon wrote:
    just a quicky as i couldn't be bothered to start anew thread...
    do we find out what sawyer's real name is and anything about HIM in any flash backs?

Loads. his real name is James Ford. And iirc there are two Sawyer-centric episodes (flashbacks), jam-packed with tasty little tid-bits regarding his life before the crash.

i remember confidence man, but what was the other one?

... also has anyone read any matt hollinger? (it pre-dates lost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Because nobody "knows" the outcome. Its like watching a murder mystery - half the fun is speculating who is the killer and why they did it. In this case, there are a lot more questions. Even if someone is proved right in the end, we'll only actually know for sure when its shown on the show, and I'd imagine it would be great satisfaction to someone to get a theory right.

OFDM wrote:
    What makes you believe i was "insulted"?

Maybe the real reason you're trolling a theory thread is because you're bitter because you're no good at theorising yourself?

If it bothers you so much that we like working out theories then why not go elsewhere? Why does it annoy you so much anyway?

[align=right]pwned[/align]

Bit uptight arent we? At least other people like Loon dont care about what I say. Youd swear you scripted the programme. All I was saying that if they do link it to wormhole things or whatever the viewers are just gonna be like WTF was that about? I myself wouldn't mind if this was the solution as I like when everything is linked incoincidentially but I'm only a small minority. They have to appeal to the majority. BTW were not arguing were just discussing. Sorry if this gets out of hand

LoLth: you cant go calling people names and then say "sorry *if* it gets out of hand". Post edited to remove the juvenile name calling. Keep it civil lads.

i agree with the last two posts...

if you get get it right its an ego boost...

... but what i don't want to see is just some science fiction crap, that is to say...

lost, i feel is an interesting show, which is well scripted with just the right amount of action, romance, humour
    the golf bit was hilarious
    , etc, but if it gets all sci-fi i'm just gonna switch off.. just look how crap the x-files got.

lost is a mystery and i just hope ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Sweet consider yourself warned... any more personal abuse and you'll receive a week long ban...

Thanks LoLth for stepping in while I was out

loon wrote:
    lost, i feel is an interesting show, which is well scripted with just the right amount of action, romance, humour
    the golf bit was hilarious
    , etc, but if it gets all sci-fi i'm just gonna switch off.. just look how crap the x-files got.

lost is a mystery and i just hope ...
    I think one of the cool things about Lost is that it's neither 100% sci-fi or 100% fantasy - there's a balance there that keeps you guessing as to which of the two will win out in the end.

This also emphasises the science versus faith themes in show.

steveland? wrote:
    Sweet consider yourself warned... any more personal abuse and you'll receive a week long ban...

Thanks LoLth for stepping in while I was out

Sorry guys. Sorry OFDM. No hard feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

loon wrote:
    you see... now you've got me thinking. using the location of celestial pyramids and cross referencing them with polar energetics (assuming we look at polar energetics as a physical not just electro-magnetic) 4 8 15 and 16 give us the base (on earth) 23 would be the apex (in space) meaning that 42 would be the portal destination, but god knows where that would be (23 would also be an unknown location but i'm speculating for theory sake.)

however, with regards to standard quantum geometry you need 6 points (imagine a cube in 3d with each face being the factor), so the numbers could merely be the quantum co-ordinates, but without a constant and a point of origin theres no real way of determining where the point in space is.

This is extremely easy theory to understand i.e. watch "Stargate" The Movie this is explained with a drawing.

Mental Note: Go watch Donnie Darko again Isn't there something about protals/ wormwholes/ seeing the future in it... I'm thinking of the plane crash

donnie darko does have all those things, but the point of that film is that it was essentially about nothing...

that is to say: donnie is rescued by rabbit boy, so that he does not kill rabbit boy, but had he not rescued donnie, donnie would have been killed and not killed rabbit boy...

if lost ends up like this then god knows what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Interesting theory are you sure it was about nothing... I thought it was about rabbit boy getting himself murdered

had rabbit boy not rescued donnie from the engine crash, donnie would have been killed, a la end of film, meaning that rabbit boy would not have been killed. donnie killed rabbit boy by accident... but the whole theory is off due to time paradox theory, ie you cannot do something that you have not done yet... eg, in terminator, who was john connor's real dad...

but let's get back to lost, eh?

Advertisement