Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomended Pistol Clubs?

Options
  • 10-09-2005 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Living in Dublin & looking to join a Pistol Club with firing range facilities. Main factors for me would be proximity to Dublin & the Club supporting me in a 9mm pistol licence application without having to wait 12 months first.

Any suggestions as this seems to be an extremely difficult area to get info on?!

I know of LPRC, which I would love to join, but obviously with the recent Planning issues I am not sure if A) the Gardai would currently accept them on my application & b) I really don't know when they will be up & running to fire on the range.

I know Rathdrum Pistol Club is not a million miles away but is still a fair trek & I am unsure what their policy is on licence applications from new members.

Help!

Cheers.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rathdrum cannot support pistol applications at the moment, as our range is in a residential area and the noise level would be too high. Our new range when and if it is opened would not be an option for 9mm, as we have very strict guidelines on noise from the planning authority which limit us to .22, and annual reviews including sound testing.

Anybody thinking of getting higher calibre pistols at the moment, should think long and hard before handing over your hard earned wedge. Finding somewhere to support your appliucation may be difficult, as noise restrictions impact on a lot of ranges in the country. The other problem is that new firearms laws will be coming in to force 'some time soon', and there may be a restriction on calibres or firearms that cannot be proven to have a target sport use.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Thanks for the informed reply, that strikes Rathdrum from the list too eh! That really leave the Midland club as the only other club I know of but again distance from Dublin is a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Have a look at www.eastcoastshootingclub.com for info. They have a pistol range in operation and are open to new members,dont know policy on pistol applications.They are located in roundwood.

Thankls for the info guys.

@2112 Spoke to East Coast (one of the few clubs that go to the bother og having a phone number!) and got great info. Going to visit their range on Sunday. Cheers. S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

See ya there! - NASRC gallery pistol (centre and rim) and rifle (bolt and semi) on on Sunday. Good opportunity to try it out.
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

From Dublin, head south on the N 11. At Kilmacanogue turn right and follow signs to Roundwood. When you get to Roundwood, head south through village until you come to a junction on your left opposite the Church on your right. Turn left and head up the hill for half a mile. You come to a fork, take the left hand road and go about half a mile until you come to a farm entrance on your right. It is a long, beech tree lined avenue, There should be a sign with an arrow pointing down the avenue. Go down the avenue and follow the road around to the right untill you come to the car park.

Went up to visit East Coast on Sunday with my 2 brothers and got a super welcome from the club. They could not have been more helpful and we plan to visit again next Sunday, along with another friend of mine who is looking for a good club to join.

Fantastic set up up in Roundwood with different ranges for .22 rifle, shotgun & pistol.

Friendly members who have a professional attitude to safe, fun shooting.

Highly reccomend a visit to anyone looking to join a good club.

S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Glad you enjoyed the visit to our range and got such a good reception. We are always happy to help new shooters. Hope to see you there soon.

Advertisement