Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starship Troopers 3?

• 10-09-2005 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Casper Van Dien (Johnny Rico in SST) in interview: I talked to Edward Neumeier (screenwriter of the first movie) and he asked me if the idea interested me. He said they were talking about bringing back my character. He and I have talked about some cool ways to do it. So we will see...

There's not much to base it on apart from the above, but I have my fingers crossed, although I liked the second movie, a proper linked and releveant sequel with a bit more then just a common name would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Loved the first one for its sheer cheese, second one was an insult on the eyes, so Im not sure what to make of a 3rd one, depends what way they go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Uwe Boll directing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What he said:
    Casper Van Dien (Johnny Rico in SST) in interview: I talked to Edward Neumeier (screenwriter of the first movie) and he asked me if the idea interested me. He said they were talking about bringing back my character. He and I have talked about some cool ways to do it. So we will see...

What he meant:
    Casper Van Dien (Johnny Rico in SST): I stalked Edward Neumeier and I asked him if the idea interested him. He said they were talking about bringing back my character, so I begged him to do it. He and I have talked about some cool ways to do it and basically I don't care as long as I get some work out of it. But more importantly than that it gives me a chance to maybe make a movie that some people will want to actually see. But people may be put off by the fact that the second one was dragged out of a toilet just to try and make some money on the back of the first film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

There's a Starship Troopers 2?

wow I'm behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Franky Boy wrote:
    There's a Starship Troopers 2?

wow I'm behind.

No there isnt, trust me there isnt :o

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    Down with that sort of thing

careful now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I think StarShip Troppers 2 had a budget of about $500 is was terrible, a shame as I love the first one. Hopefully they will but more effort into the next one if they do actually make it.

If the game is a success it might give the new film a boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

ahh it was awful.i think the phrase contain 50%new footage should be thrown in here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SST1 was awesome. Loved that movie.

SST2 was crap. Basiclly the same storyline as an Aliens movie (the one based in a ship), with the SST good and bad guys thrown in.

Hopefully SST3 will be like SST1, with lots of gore, violence, and guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dimerocks wrote:
    ahh it was awful.i think the phrase contain 50%new footage should be thrown in here too.

I'm actually sick of this ****. Did you band wagon hippies even watch the ****in movie at all? Anyone, that had seen both movies, would know that the ONLY re-used special effect shot was a news report style broadcast that took up 2 minutes of the very start of the movie and that was intended to be known as copied for that very purpose. You'd swear that the movie used the same shots from the first movie for action sequences the way people talk abou it. The actual movie itself contains no reused special effects shots

The rest of the movie, whether you liked it or not, contained 100% new and as well as that, superb visuals on par with the effects of the first movie.

Urgghhhhh.....ranty rant.

btw - budget was $6,000,000 for SST2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i rather enjoyed the sequel. it was cheesy enough and fun.....but not a patch on the laughs of the first one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The actual movie itself contains no reused special effects shots

Should read:

The actual movie itself contains no special effects shots.

Have you ever seen the Hidden , watch it a 23 year old movie that manages to have the same plot as SS2 but isnt actually bad, or any movie on Sci Fi for the last 236423947862394872649782 years.

Oh look parasitic bug taking control of humans!!!!!!!!

Best plot ever!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

The first one was good, but after that,i just had know interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

it is a **** movie reused footage or not.the first one was great however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

KdjaC wrote:
    Have you ever seen the Hidden , watch it a 23 year old movie that manages to have the same plot as SS2 but isnt actually bad, or any movie on Sci Fi for the last 236423947862394872649782 years.

Oh look parasitic bug taking control of humans!!!!!!!!
    23 years old? It can't be... I'm pretty sure it was made in the late eighties.... It's a long time since I've seen it, but I do remember enjoying it though. I was a big Kyle MacLachlan fan at the time.

That film with the devil jumping from body to body was pretty similar too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

with denzel washington?

Fallen

i think.

dont forget the granddaddy of the take over humans by control film...Invasion of the body snatchers (and it's many remakes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I liked the 1st one, watchable. I watched 10 minutes of the second one and turned it off, pure ****e.

I was never a huge fan of the original...

I've always found Verhoven (along with Kevin Smith) to be a director of diminishing returns.

At least Showgirls had that great scene with all the chimps going crazy... I just love it when a film has a gratuitous ape related scene.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

KdjaC wrote:

I only wish, it was a waste of space of a movie and I want that part of my life back....must have only cost a few k to make it such a cheap feel to it :(
    I'd have to be against a v3 unless its similar to the first

Verhoven also brought us Robocop, possibly the BEST 80's violent sci fi movie. Better then Terminator imo.

Starship Troopers Cost $95,000,000
    Starship Troopers 2 Cost $6,000,000

Pretty big difference.....still though, I liked it regardless. If it had been a totally different movie, ie. a Starship Troopers "story" rather then sequel, or even a totally different movie called "outpost" or something similar, it would have been received much better.

I think the biggest mistake of the entire movie was making it a direct sequel.

• Advertisement

Verhoven also brought us Robocop, possibly the BEST 80's violent sci fi movie. Better then Terminator imo.
    Total Recall was great too... as was alot of his pre-hollywood stuff.

I just find that his later films have been a bit weak compared to his earlier stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

robocop better then terminator? your dreamin'!
    paul verhoven is a pretty crap director i think, apart from maybe total recall which was a good yarn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dempsey wrote:
    I liked the 1st one, watchable. I watched 10 minutes of the second one and turned it off, pure ****e.
    It goes downhill after the first 10 minutes, yes, it gets..... worse :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well it does have a nice pair of tits in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Actually, although I agree with the sub standard gun effects, there still were no re-used special effects shot within the movie itself!

And the special effects were made by the same company, Tippet Studio, who made the special Effects for Blade, Starship Troopers, Jurrasic Park, Hollow Man, Hellboy, Star Wars, and many more....easily one of the best companies in the business.

The one scene in SST2 where an Arachnid warrior impales the medic through the head and lifts him up is far superior to any sfx scene in the original movie. :D

I'm not ashamed to say I actually really really liked sst2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

I'm kinda shamed in this instance to say I own all those movies. I even Have "Boa" and "Python", the prequels, which are surprisingly much, much better. Ecks vs Sever is balls though. Route 666 is cheesy fun.... :o

Advertisement