Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Problem

• 10-09-2005 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Does anyone have the following problem on BT Broadband:

When leaving the PC on overnight (or even for a long period of time during the day), when I try to get on the net after, I always need to reboot the PC. The lights on the modem all seem to be correct as if the DSL connection is still there but I always get the screen saying Page has expired etc.

Reboot of PC always fixes it. Not a huge hassle I guess but it is a bit of a pain. Any ideas? Running XP with standard Xyzel modem btw.

Thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

God, I had this problem too. Such a pain in the ass. I could be playing a game online for 2 hours, then I'd quit, and try play it again 30 minutes later, and the net would just not work, even though as you say, all the lights were on as normal and connection was there.

I had to reboot the pc everytime too. You using usb or ethernet? I found the problem actually stopped when I used ethernet....but as my old pc didn't have ethernet it was a frustrating few months before that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I had this problem too on Windows XP.

I fixed it by disabling the DNS Client in Services (under Administrative Tools).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Ok, thanks will give it a go. Thanks.

Using the Ethernet by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

same here, only has happened since yesterday, i would be browsing the web then suddenly a connection refused pop up would come up in firefox, it takes me to go to the router admin to sort it out.
    Im using a linksys router btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I used to have some of the problems you outline and the following corrected it. I haven't had to reboot for maybe a year now.

If you go into Web Configurator/Wan Settings and tick 'Nailed Up Connection' box this should make a difference.

Also, the dns settings shoud be:

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

That's with standard Zyxel/XP btw.

OK, thanks will give it a go..... Only prob is that I have a wireless router so its not so easy to get at the admin program for the modem anymore....

Anyone know how to get around this? Do you just re-connect the pc directly to the modem and type in the IP address ? Doesn't seem to work....

caster wrote:
    OK, thanks will give it a go..... Only prob is that I have a wireless router so its not so easy to get at the admin program for the modem anymore....

Anyone know how to get around this? Do you just re-connect the pc directly to the modem and type in the IP address ? Doesn't seem to work....

you should be able to get into the wireless router easily if your connected wirelessly
    just type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar then a box will pop up

most common passwords are name: admin password:admin or 1234

this will get you straight into the router setup.
    most routers on the market have 192.168.1.1 as the main ip this is known as your gateway ip aswell.

Sparky_S wrote:
    you should be able to get into the wireless router easily if your connected wirelessly
    just type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar then a box will pop up

most common passwords are name: admin password:admin or 1234

this will get you straight into the router setup.
    most routers on the market have 192.168.1.1 as the main ip this is known as your gateway ip aswell.

Yeah I can get at the Admin program for the router no prob using what you said. What I need is to get at the Admin for the modem itself. Used to be able to type in an ip address but since I have the router this IP address no longer works....

you will need to change your wireless router to an IP within your modems (the zyxel one) range.

for instant i have a linksys wireless adsl gateway (an all in one box) and a dell wireless access point connected to it.
    by default the dell access point was 192.168.1.1 so i knew it was going to stop me from getting into the linksys gateway because the gateway was 192.168.1.1 aswell.

so i attached the dell access point directly to my pc by ethernet and changed the dell AP to an IP of 192.168.1.110 because my linksys gateway had a dchp table of ip's from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150

So basically change your wireless access point to an IP within your modems ip range then you can access your main modem from 192.168.1.1 and your wireless AP with an IP of 192.168.1.110

BTW for you i think your IP table starts from 192.168.1.33
    so make your wireless AP 192.168.1.35

192.168.1.1 = access to modem
    192.168.1.35 = access to wireless AP.

any more questions id love to help on.
    sparky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Also, the dns settings shoud be:

Hope this helps.
    you sure about those dns settings vunderground?

I have:

are you sure those are BT DNS servers?

vibe666 wrote:
    you sure about those dns settings vunderground?

I have:

are you sure those are BT DNS servers?

afaik they are eircoms and utv's dns servers, because they are faster than BT's servers.

would they not work if you weren't using an eircom/utv ip address?

Those are the dns settings I've been using happily for some time now. Along with the 'nailed up connection' they have removed the need for rebooting the modem. Haven't had to do it for ages now and it's down to the settings that I came upon by trial and error.
    Other people have posted these dns settings for BT/Zyxel and the proof is in the stability. Hope it works out for you.

BTW - why do people buy other modems/routers when the Zyxel works fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Those are the dns settings I've been using happily for some time now. Along with the 'nailed up connection' they have removed the need for rebooting the modem. Haven't had to do it for ages now and it's down to the settings that I came upon by trial and error.
    Other people have posted these dns settings for BT/Zyxel and the proof is in the stability. Hope it works out for you.

BTW - why do people buy other modems/routers when the Zyxel works fine?

I've tweaked my setting like you said before and I admit I dont reboot the router every week anymore...mabye every 2 or 3 weeks though which isnt too bad.

Could you post a full tutorial on the changes you made to get such stability as I might have forgotten to change something...thus my improved but not perfect stability.

i use the zyxel as a bridge, but I'm using a Linksys WRT54G to do all the business end of connecting/auth. etc.

had some trouble with it clagging up and not wanting to do anything, but i recently got a startup script from linksysinfo.org that took care of that. something to do with using it with P2P apps and it tracking IP's for a week or something mad like that as the default, which obviously results in it dropping dead after a day of heavy traffic.

anyway, the script changes this to 30 minutes before it drops them, and this seems to have made a huge difference with my uptime around 20 days at present when previously I hadn't made it a week without a reboot.

if anyone has a WRT54G and has this trouble, I'll be happy to pass on the details.

You'll need to update your firmware on it to the HyperWRT one to allow you to use a startup scriipt, but it's well worth it for quite a few other reasons too.
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

Settings:

Ip: 192.168.1.33
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    DGateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS 192.111.39.1

Nailed up connection box ticked in router setup.

Advanced TCP/IP Settings:
    Interface metric changed to 1.

This is all I have jotted down on the Zyxel Manual. There may be one or two other things that were tweaked, but I don't think it was anything significant.
    I've got no IT training whatsoever, so it was all experemental - but it has worked. Hope this helps somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Zyxel works fine. But not great. See my post on uploads and MTU. Pretty clear there are better ones out there. Even Eircoms netopia rubbish.

Reckon there should be a sticky at the top about tweeking modems, of all descriptions?

With regards to leaving things on overnight does USB not still have problems with windows and hibernate mode. And even sleep mode? If you're using usb I'd move over to the network interface and a lash a good nic into your pc if one isnt there already.

This one is on all night every night. It has to be to keep my torrent share ratio right 'cos of the tragic BT upload speeds.
    I have it set for 'always on' under 'power options' and hiberntion is disabled. No problems.

Dim question: Do these better routers/modems give superior speeds? Mine seem to be pretty average to good from what I've read here and I'm a good distance from the exchange.

i have a WAG54G and it handles the net connection grand, i only need to reboot it every month or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

To better copy your setting's Vunderground I've added more detail:

Settings:

Ip: 192.168.1.33
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    DGateway: 192.168.1.1
    //-Changed in Network Properties

DNS
    //-I know you oput these in the Network Settings in Windows..should these also be input into:
    http://192.168.1.1/ -> Advanced Setup -> LAN -> DHCP:
    Primary DNS Server
    Secondary DNS Server
    ?????

Nailed up connection box ticked in router setup.
    //-Can be set here:
    http://192.168.1.1/ -> Advanced Setup -> WAN -> WAN Setup -> Connection:
    Nailed-Up Connection

Advanced TCP/IP Settings:
    Interface metric changed to 1
    //-Changed in Network Properties

Can anyone think of anything else as its in all our best interests to get our DSL connections as stable as possible.

With me in Configurator/Lan/DHCP the dns settings are left blank.

But in Network/Lan/Advanced Settings they are listed in order of use as:

Don't know if that info is any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

that zyxel supplied by bt and digiweb is a piece of crap...

had so much trouble with it(in bridge mode with my belkin wireless router) - the connection would time out for most websites when d/l a torrent(like 10k down, and few k up).

my current setup:
    zyxel: 192.168.1.1, gives out dhcp(dns servers 194.125.2.240/1) for my belkin. belkin handles dns and dhcp for my lan (works much better, does not drop connections as zyxel...)

then there is security question of the zyxel, it offers very little security(ports are closed, rather than stealthed, etc), so I end up setting zexel to forward all incomming traffic to the belkin. works so much better. so, if you have a decent router, move all the tasks possible to it rather having zyxel do it.

Finally got around to trying it out. Changing the setting to Nailed Up Connection did the trick. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement